Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Swapped in new GM master and slave...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Swapped in new GM master and slave...

I had a problem with the clutch engaging 1/2 inch off the floor tried bleeding it worked for about half an hour. I read on here to change the master and/or slave and do drill mod. I did all and the car still does the same thing??? What should I do now?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Car is 2000 SS with 19,000 miles.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adjustable master or shim the TO bearing.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Adjustable master does the trick
Old 10-26-2005, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply guys. But I might have not been clear enough with the problem, when I have the pedal all the way on the floor and try to shift into 1st the car starts creeping forward, pump the clutch some then it goes into gear ok, but as soon as I let up a little on the pedal it starts moving like its not fully disengaging !! Will the ram adjustable fix that or just move the point of not fully disengaing around?? I am at a loss!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. Trans shop says it might be the pressure plate everybody else keeps saying an adjustable master will fix it , I'm gonna make the new GM Master adjustable 1st and see if that works. Start with the cheapest and easiest!! If not then tear it down and put in the LS7 clutch. Where does the shim go? When I swapped the old slave for the new one there was no shim between the slave and the trans where it mounts or is the shim by the TO bearing? Seems like ALOT of people have been having this SAME problem.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mikey340
Thanks for the info. Trans shop says it might be the pressure plate everybody else keeps saying an adjustable master will fix it , I'm gonna make the new GM Master adjustable 1st and see if that works. Start with the cheapest and easiest!! If not then tear it down and put in the LS7 clutch. Where does the shim go? When I swapped the old slave for the new one there was no shim between the slave and the trans where it mounts or is the shim by the TO bearing? Seems like ALOT of people have been having this SAME problem.

That sound good to me. I had clutch disengagment problems and the adjustable fixed it.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default Problem Solved

Well thanks guys!! I made the new stock GM Master adjustable and it cured my problem, mityvac the resevoir worked lots better and easier than bleeding the slave! I'm BACK on the road again, shifts fine pedal engages right in the middle.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

To all,

Take heed. The adjustable master cyl. does fix disengagement problems.
Now,

No more questions if it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 04:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know if the McLoud master cylinder has a bigger diameter as the stock one?
This would also help moving more fluid to the slave cylinder and give more space to play.
My Spec clutch is also not disengaging enough and I was considering to modify the stocker or to buy master with a bigger diameter. Maybe a modified industrial hydraulic cylinder...?

Quick Reply: Swapped in new GM master and slave...