Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wetsanding car

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wetsanding car

Alright guys heres my dilemma, my car needs a REALLY good wetsanding. It has ALOT of scratches and everything on it that i dont believe would come out from just polishing and buffing. So a buddy of mine offered to do it for me, and he said he did it, but i really wanna try to do it myself, but im afraid to do it on my car since it is black, and i dont have all the tools and everything to do it myself, so i was just wondering what u guys think i should do?a and could i get some advice on wetsanding.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

If you're not comfortable with his or your abilities, DON'T DO IT. Paint on newer cars isn't very thick and it wetsanding/buffing is a skill learned best on some pos you don't care about. Not your pride and joy. Get some good(I like Meguiars paper, it seems easier to work the scratches out than 3M) 3000 grit and practice on a pos.
I've been doing it for 3-4 years now on different stuff, only time I went after my SS with the paper was right after buying it to get rid of some of the stains from bird **** and whatnot.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, I'd get a porter cable and some 3m polish(or whatever brand you like) and try to get the scratches off that way, before I'd break out the sandpaper, there's a real good chance of screwing up the paint bad enough to require reclearing/painting if you don't know what you're doing wetsanding.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
I dunno, I'd get a porter cable and some 3m polish(or whatever brand you like) and try to get the scratches off that way, before I'd break out the sandpaper, there's a real good chance of screwing up the paint bad enough to require reclearing/painting if you don't know what you're doing wetsanding.
what he said

I wouldn't really take on wet sanding unless your wanting to remove the orange peel. You will be suprised what a heavy compound can do for a car.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

So far some good advice. Always start with the least aggressive method first ie; Porter Cable if that does not do the trick try a rotary buffer, still not satisfied then wet sand. I to would recommend Meguair's paper.

If you want to try wet sanding go to your local junk yard pick up a hood for $20 and try it.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only reason i assume it needs it is because when i took it to a detailing place the owner said he could try to get it out, but chances are that i would need to get it wetsanded
Old 10-25-2005, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

If the scratches are that deep they are probably through the clear. Trying to wetsand them out would only make it worse and then would require reclearing. It's really hard to say without seeing it. I'd like to wetsand my car to get out the orange peel but I don't know how thick the factory clear is and I'd rather live with some orange peel than have to reclear the whole thing. I have a couple scratches on mine where I had taped on the hockey stripe and cut the tape lightly to mark where it had to go. Even though I just BARELY scratched it my 3M Finesse It III wont' polish it out by hand. I haven't been to my dad's to try the coarser compounds he has there.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JacobK
the only reason i assume it needs it is because when i took it to a detailing place the owner said he could try to get it out, but chances are that i would need to get it wetsanded
Some of those so called detail places I wouldn't let touch a primered civic, not saying the place you went to sucks, but I've seen alot of them make a car look alot worse than when it went in (that's why I started doing it myself)
Give the PC a try, at worse, you do have to get it sanded, you then have the PC to help keep it looking good after
Old 10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

i used turtle wax compund on my car and i ended up with more scratches then when i started. so i really wouldnt recomend that eithor, or maybe its just my color it shows everything!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

If you're talking rubbing compound that is NOT the same as polishing compound for paint. You need a high speed buffer for polishing compound to really work properly.

Quick Reply: Wetsanding car