Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A2W intercooler fill.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A2W intercooler fill.

Could you use a water/anitfreeze mixture to get the temp. down below 32 degrees to fill your intercooler tank.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

sure.

where are you going to store this sub zero mixture before you pour it in? take a freezer to the dragstrip with you?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:34 AM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now personally I wouldn't do this but what you CAN do,

Ice, Water, Salt. Salt lowers the freezing temperature of water so with enough ice, you can actually get the temp under 32*F. I'm just not too sure how good salt is on A2W IC's, when I think salt I think rust
Old 10-28-2005, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Main thing to think about.

Salt + alum. = bad bad bad bad.
Not really Rust.... but Core Rot.

That is what eats intercoolers for lunch on boats out in the offshore industry. You would have to go to Cuper-Nickle cores, to have any chance of keeping "core rot" to a minum. You would have to flush this set up like none other after every single time you use it.... it's not really worth it.

As for getting your intercooler temps that low..... there is something to think about. Condensation. If enough of it starts to form because of a massive temp change.... your motor will be injesting so much water it can offset the gains from the charge intake temp change.

Sometimes too cool, isn't good. And as well as to much intercooler.

If you can get your intake temps down to around 60 degrees with minimal amount of water produced you would be on your way to wicked HP. Sure some water is good, to supress detonation..... but not a lot. Also water can really effect sensors like MAP sensors over time.

While we are on the topic of A2W intercoolers... and filling them. Make sure you are filling them from the bottom to the top.... that way the entire core fills with water....rather then just raining water down from the top.

Just food for thought.
EA

PS: Yes this is my Virgin post, on here... don't eat me alive.

Last edited by E.A.; 10-28-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could just spray a small shot of n2o and lower the temps a little more.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dry Ice and antifreeze

You should run an ice screen so the core fins dont fold over when its packed.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Teching In

I have heard of many guys putting ice cubes in the tank to get the water temps down. Also, instead of N2O or CO2 many guys run water across the heat exchanger. Water dissappates heat better than the gases do. The water does not evaporate as quickly as the gas does once it hits the H/E.

On another note, I have heard talks of guys thinking of running a refrigerant based cooling system to cool the charge air. This has pros and cons, but some testing would answer a lot of questions.

Wow, two newbs in one thread.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kslush
I have heard of many guys putting ice cubes in the tank to get the water temps down. Also, instead of N2O or CO2 many guys run water across the heat exchanger.
It all depends on the intercooler you are running. If you have the ability to make a nice big take to keep the water and ice, then pump it to the core it's the way to go.

There is even a science to making that tank that holds the ice and water. In how you get the return water to shed heat evenly over the ice in the tank, to get the water back down to the lowest temp possible, before leaving again to head to the core......

I could go into more detail, but then I would have to write a book on it.

On another note, I have heard talks of guys thinking of running a refrigerant based cooling system to cool the charge air.
Ford talked about doing that on the New Lightning. It's a "neat" concept at that.... though it will only last for short bursts... and it's still not going to be as effective as the water to air with Ice in the tank.

Wow, two newbs in one thread.
I may a newbie to this board..... but far far from it in the area of Forced Induction.

EA
Old 10-28-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

sure you can put ice in, that will not get the temps sub zero.

i had no idea you could put dry ice into a liquid? i would think it would boil or something bad.

smokin is right, if you need below freezing for whatever reason, just shoot da nawazzz!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
sure you can put ice in, that will not get the temps sub zero.

i had no idea you could put dry ice into a liquid? i would think it would boil or something bad.

smokin is right, if you need below freezing for whatever reason, just shoot da nawazzz!

Dry ice in water will or can equal BOOM. What happens is ice can form around the chunk of Dry ice..... then the ice gets thicker around it (from the water being cooled to the point of freezing) then the gas pressure inside the bubble of ice gets high enough to break through, and BOOM, you have a mini explosion on your hands.

I doubt it would do any real damage.... but the point is... It's soooo darn cold it's not really cooling the water anymore, cause all it's doing is turning it into ICE. Ice doesn't transfer heat all that well.....cool water does.... but ICE has a big lack in surface area. (And it's kinda hard to pump )

There honestly shouldn't be a need to get temps Sub Zero. Cause a well thought out A2W intercooler system is going to get the job done good. If it works to well, all you created was a condensation pump... and thast not good.

Now I want a frosty malt beverage.
EA
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well there are many ways the get temps down! the best (not leagla i think) would be to use liquid Nitrogen! this has a boiling point of about 228 degrees K i think, maybe even lower! but this would cost a fortune! you could run the AC system through the the water tank. this would get the temps down, but i dout it would get you below freezing!

you could try dry ice, like what F1 teams use to keep the rads cool on the grid!!

i think the thing is there is NO answer to this question that will work for all, all the time! its just one of those things!

thanks Chris.

PS, why not just run a 100 shot into the manifold! this will give you extra hp from the N2o and would cool the intake no end!!!

Quick Reply: A2W intercooler fill.