Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive/dual stage Nitrous VS., Turbos...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Progressive/dual stage Nitrous VS., Turbos...

So everyone is alway stating how turbos are by far the most efficient power adder you can get. Well, they are about 8grand for my car, and I wouldn't mind saving that 8 grand .

So why is a turbo so much more effective than nitrous?? If the nitrous is on a progressive setup, with multiple stages, I don't understand how it isn't MORE efficient compared to a turbo?

I have gotten a lot of responses and asked a lot of people, and the answer is always, "just look at the times the turbo cars are running". They are running mid/deep 9's at 140-150+ on the stock LONGblock (on 03/4 cobras), and are making 780+rwhp.

How is it possible that nitrous is more of a strain on the engine than a turbo?? FWIW, not many people have played with nitrous on our cars, however, for this argument, it doesn't even matter what car it's on.

turbo=forcing air in to engine, with little parasitic loss on the motor.
nitrous=pushing a more effective "air" in to the engine, with absolutely ZERO parasitic loss.

So if the nitrous is on a prog. setup+multipe/or just mutlipe stages, it's not a huge increase in compression in the motor, and therefore, should be just as "safe" as a turbo.

Is my theory/reason of thinking wrong??? Again, I don't need any answers like, "the proof is in the pudding" (concerning the current turbo 03/4 cobras running deep 9's ).

BTW this was posted on my ford site, but there are LOTS of knowledgable nitrous junkies in here and since turbo vs nitrous is the same theory all the way around (all cars), I thought maybe I could get some of your opinions.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-29-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about $$. Yea, the turbo's are generally a little faster on the lsx platform, but not by much when considering the cost. Also, n2o guys are starting to catch the turbo crowd, imo. There are no Cobra's in my area running mid or deep nines, yes it can be done, but $$. If $$ is an issue n2o is the way to go and you can compete with all, except the biggest $$ turbo guys. Yes, progressive or multi stage is the way to go for the big nitrous hits, spreads the torque over a more usable and safe range.
Robert
Old 10-29-2005, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

you don't have to refill your bottle on a turbo =) or turn it on..or worrie about bottle pressure, or a nitrous back fire(that just happned to my friend)

i run N2O but i am going to a turbo
Old 10-29-2005, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Heavy nitrous use starts putting pistons through an extreme super-chilled/very hot cycle, and can lead to early piston failure.

Most nitrous systems only spray for pretty short periods of time, where a turbo could be asked to be under mild boost for 200 miles pretty easily. Think of the size nitrous tank you'd need for that trip...

Also nitrous fills around here are $52 plus tax per 10lb. bottle.

Jim
Old 10-29-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Heavy nitrous use starts putting pistons through an extreme super-chilled/very hot cycle, and can lead to early piston failure.

Most nitrous systems only spray for pretty short periods of time, where a turbo could be asked to be under mild boost for 200 miles pretty easily. Think of the size nitrous tank you'd need for that trip...

Jim
I would think that running a turbo at full boost would also create an insane amount of heat over an extended period of time. At any rate, the bottle argument is a good one (getting it refilled, not always being filled, and it costing 52 per fillup). If I can find a payment plan for 50 bucks a week for the turbo I would probably switch
Old 10-30-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ITSTOCK
I would think that running a turbo at full boost would also create an insane amount of heat over an extended period of time. At any rate, the bottle argument is a good one (getting it refilled, not always being filled, and it costing 52 per fillup). If I can find a payment plan for 50 bucks a week for the turbo I would probably switch
really the heat wouldn't be that insane with a good water to air intercooler. Also it's less strain because it doesn't hit as hard all at once.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

With a turbo the piston would go from very hot to hot, which is a lot less stressful than very hot to very chilled, hundreds of times per second.

Jim
Old 10-30-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you want to spend 1k or 6-8k? Should be an easy choice.

You can control the nitrous better than ever with these new inexpensive controllers. Can you turn the turbo off in 1st gear? (Can boost controller do that, maybe?)
Old 10-30-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i agree with what you are saying. but look at most people that spray they have one stage and it all hits at once. i was gona do a turbo on my truck but did not have that much money. so i am gona do nitrous now. but as i sit around and calculate the cost of standalone fuel system two diffrent systems progressive controllers botle heaters and all the other stuff. you are loking at a considerable amount of money. but the thing with nitrous is you can build your system up were with a turbo you have to get everything at once. also with a turbo you have to upraed olot of things which raises the cost.

anyways i am gona try a dual stage system with progressive controller when i get another motor
Old 10-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no doubt you have to fill bottles with nitrous. Most nitrous users dont race as much as people think. Most turbo car owners dont race as much as people think. BUT!!! The question should be which could keep the avg tq higher? With a good dual progressive controller you can custom tailor your tq w/out changing the shot size. Of course the argument of top end power would always be an issue, BUT done right the dual progressive controlled nitrous car can also have crazy top end power. If money is an issue nitrous is by far the best bang for the buck if done right. I personally think with the new Progressive Controllers like the Max II, etc., you can run just as fast as a turbo car making the same hp/tq for A LOT LESS MONEY.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

don't the cylinder head flow come into play?you can only flow so much air and nitrogen through the runners but under pressure will flow more.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:04 AM
Launching!

if i had unlimited funds i would go with the turbo, but i dont so there for im going with a big shot on a progressive controller. On a side note ITSTOCK that car in your avatar is actually a local guy here in jackson.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DeltaT

Jim
Thank god I don't live in your area. Nitrous cost me $17.50 to fill a 10lb bottle here.

I just have to let the 383 do the talking for me most of the time.

I would do a turbo in a heart beat if I had the funds.I bet I would still spray too even with a turbo but it be a much smaller shot.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
FormerVendor

I personally like turbo's and would use one if I had the money. However, like Robert and VINCE have both already stated, the nitrous cars are catching up to the turbo cars pretty quickly. I think it is mostly due to the fact that people are finding that you can make insane power/torque using large amounts of nitrous without hurting parts. I think this is in large part due to people finally coming around to using progressive controllers and/or multiple stages. It also helps that there have been major leaps in the technology used in controllers within the last couple of years.

It won't be long before it will take multiple power adders just to keep up, haha.

Quick Reply: Progressive/dual stage Nitrous VS., Turbos...