Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where are your Radar Detectors mounted. Pics Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Where are your Radar Detectors mounted. Pics Please

Hey guys I've had a radar detector for some time now. I've been wondering where I can mount my radar detector that may be away from the dashboard. Was just wondering where all you guys put yours. Thanks and any pictures would greatly help

Chris
Old 10-29-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wired mine in to the fuse panel in the door, then up the A pillar and it sits next to my rear view mirror. Out of the way and its as high as it can get so I'll get the best chance of finding the piggies.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

True, that is what I was thinking about doing. How hard was that to do and how did you hardwire it into the fuse box? I'm just wondering exactly how you do that.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats where mine is, the window tint strip helps hide it alittle also.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine rests ontop of my rearview mirror, on the passenger side of it. It sits pretty good. The two suction cups and then the long end is physically on the mirror so it doesn't move around. Got tired of the police saying "what do you need a radar detector for?" So now they would have to be on the ground to actually see it...
Old 10-29-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have mine on the windshield with the suction cup bracket. With the wire running under the dash mat, to the remote cancel switch mounted next to the radio, never have to touch the unit.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65...etector002.jpg

As for power supply tied into the keyed power supply at the back of the radio.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PopaPork
I wired mine in to the fuse panel in the door, then up the A pillar and it sits next to my rear view mirror. Out of the way and its as high as it can get so I'll get the best chance of finding the piggies.

I did mine the exact same way except that mine sits on top of my mirror. Its very well hidden, no one even notices it when they're riding with me until it goes off. I can get pics if you want.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wire runs along the headliner, to the A-pillar, down to the fuse box where it's wired into the radio fuse. Turns on with the car automatically.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

mines exactly the same as hawks, sitting right in the middle with the plug running through the vent, ive been pulled over a few times with it and the cops never bug me about it, but if you opt to put it in the middle and hide the wire, when he pulls you over you can just pull it off of the window and stick it under your seat
Old 10-29-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would they hassle you guys for it? Is it illegal there or something? Radar detectors are 100% legal in Michigan.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meissenation
Why would they hassle you guys for it? Is it illegal there or something? Radar detectors are 100% legal in Michigan.
probable cause, guilt trip.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Launching!

a guy i know has his mounted right up above the rvm and wired right into the light harness that powers the lights on the rvm. clean and simple.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Did mine like PopaPork. Used double sided tape, rather than suction cups to hold the mount to the windshield. Neat and simple install. I have the radar detectors mounted by the rear view mirror on all my cars. I don't have to remove them regardless of where I park because they are hidden behind the dark tint band at the top of the window. The power supply wire is in the A pillar and tucked into the front of the headliner.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can someone send me a link to a writeup to wire my radar into the fuse box?? Or just pm me an explanation. I would like to do this, but cant picture it in my head. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

cops normally give people crap about having radar detectors because it "shows" an intent to speed. I like the idea of having it wired above the rear view mirror and its prob where i'll put mine once i get it but I was wondering since most of the radar/lasers are bounced off of the license plate or headlights wouldnt having it mount so high up make it less effective?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WestSide
Mine rests ontop of my rearview mirror, on the passenger side of it. It sits pretty good. The two suction cups and then the long end is physically on the mirror so it doesn't move around. Got tired of the police saying "what do you need a radar detector for?" So now they would have to be on the ground to actually see it...
ditto!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dementia
I was wondering since most of the radar/lasers are bounced off of the license plate or headlights wouldnt having it mount so high up make it less effective?
more effective for radar, less for laser... but the laser warning on your detector might as well just read "you're f*cked"
Old 10-30-2005, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
more effective for radar, less for laser... but the laser warning on your detector might as well just read "you're f*cked"
Ive been lazer'd before when I was doing 130mph. I was lucky though because the cop was going the other way on the interstate. I also have a nice Power Tour story but ill tell you all the one later. Id also like to see a write up on how to install it through the fuze box.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
LMAO thanks for clarifying. Guess that above the mirror would be optimal then since it helps with radar and with laser it really wouldnt matter anyways.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just take the positive wire for your radar detector and wrap it around the fuse for the radio. For my 94 Camaro, if you're staring directly at the fuse box on the side of your dash, if memory serves correctly it's the top left fuse above some larger fuses that are like square or something. Then just wrap the positive around the fuse, and ground the negative, and tada all done.

Quick Reply: Where are your Radar Detectors mounted. Pics Please