Is this old news or new?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

news to me that setup is sweet
Old 10-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Teching In

not to be a downer or anything, but there customer service is horible, along with there add on electrical systems. There s/c's are great, as long as you are not relying on there electronics for the tuning.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

That blower itself is amazing, it will make some good power on the engine.

Here is the bad part, there is no way it will fit in a Fbody, it says it wont clear a C5

That is a kit Im guessing is designed for those with hotrods that are replacing the engines with the LS1. Id like to get another 69firebird, and swap a LS1 into it with this on it that would be a neat car to have.

Oh well awsome kit, im going to book mark the page and check on it from time to time, that really not a bad price all things considered
Old 10-30-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya i dont think it woudl be possible to fit that ina f-body as i looks like it would interfere with the windshield and not just the cowl. On a vette im sure it aint a problem as u would juet need to get a big cowl hood. And that thing woudl look bad *** under the hood. I am suprised to see them say its limited to 1k hp though. As a couple sentences before they say that it is capable of 30psi. And in a ls1 u would have to be a fuckup to not make 1k hp with 30 hp. Most do it with ALOT less. some nearly 10psi less.
Definatly looks really hot. GL

John
Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

that would be bad *** looking on a pro touring 69 firebird though
Old 10-31-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have seen it and it looks sooooooooo good! just imagine it in a light weight mid engined sports car! hmmmmmm

i think thye say its limited to 1000bhp because that the max CFM it can handle!

thanks Chris.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I should pull the plug on the LS1 stroker in the Iroc and just get one of these. Could you imagen that thing sitting under a hood of a clean Iroc. Then again I might only need to change my heads to lower the CR. Hmmmmm
Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuntington101
i have seen it and it looks sooooooooo good! just imagine it in a light weight mid engined sports car! hmmmmmm

i think thye say its limited to 1000bhp because that the max CFM it can handle!

thanks Chris.

Hey Chris.... what you doin over here?.....I wonder what sort of lightweight mid engined supercar you had in mind?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A 3.3L blower is BIG. Too big.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
A 3.3L blower is BIG. Too big.
I don't know enough about superchargers to know this, so does the size of this blower mean that it is going to take longer to spool as opposed to the kenne bell 2.2L?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Launching!

I actually own a Whipple product and love it for how fast boost comes. It's really quite and I've had zero problems with it to this day. Like mentioned before though, Whipple's Customer Service sucks badly. If you want to deviate from a kit they produce in any way they pretty much hang up on you or will be very unwilling to help/work with you.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

Twin screw blowers don't need to "spool" like a turbo. The boost is available just off idle. This is one of the most appealing features of a positive displacement compressor. As far as 3.3L being too big, it's probably overkill on a stock displacement LS-1. If you look at the compressor maps for the Lysholm 2.3 vs 3.3, you will find that the bigger unit, aside from being able to push well past 1000 CFM comfortably, will run about 15 deg F cooler and use a little less HP than a 2.3L in a medium to high boost scenario. The smaller units are more efficient on the lower end of the spectrum.

The following chart is a 2.3L Whipple on a 383 H/C daily driver with stock Monaro exhaust. 10.2 @ 140 with a little left on the table. Much more that that would benefit from the 3.3L unit.
Attached Thumbnails Whipple Superchargers?-chipmaster.jpg  

Last edited by mistermike; 11-02-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crafty888
Hey Chris.... what you doin over here?.....I wonder what sort of lightweight mid engined supercar you had in mind?
hehe. ermmmmm nothing! just keeping track of whats going on so i can report back when new info becomes available. and sit and cry at how much good stuff these guys get!

as for the mid engined sports car i was thinking of a little british item!

thanks Chris.

PS. mistermike, take that 6XXbhp ifgure was at the crank???? and do you have any links for the guys that build these kits? i see that whipple are releasing a LS1/2 kit in january using the 3.3!

Last edited by chuntington101; 11-02-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I'm not sure on the crank or RWHP with Daniel's car. http://www.chipmaster.com.au look for "Project Monaro." At some point, he was getting 607 RWHP, so I'm thinking it might be a RW #. It's also done on a Dyno "heartbreaker" Dynamics load dyno, which generally reads lower than an inertia dyno.

The Whipple kit appears to be a fairly raw kit, with a good bit in the way of additional parts and fabrication needed to make a complete system of it. There is no mention of their providing injectors, intake plumbing, coolant radiator, etc. in the base kit. I think their description of the kit as a "tuner kit" appropriate for conversions is accurate. Definitely not a "turnkey" car-specific kit, but on a large displacement project car I would expect some pretty obscene results.

The Chipmaster car, along with mine, uses the Starr Performance 2.3L kit, which is the first commercial adaptation of a twin screw to an LSx engine. It is also produced in a 3.3L version for those who don't mind cutting the hood. It was developed for the Holden Monaro/Commodore/Ute, but obviously works fine in a GTO. Unfortunately, Gen4 Fbods would require major surgery for any manifold mounted blower, but I think a clever person could probably make it work on a Vette, CTS-V, or truck without a Sawzall.

There is an effort underway to make the Starr kit available in the US at a reduced cost by sourcing some of the components domestically.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

thanks mistermike. i think i have seen star performance's site before! bit exspencive when you consider the cost of the Whipple kit even if it is very basic!?!?!?

thanks for the info anyway.

Chris.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Chris
The Starr kit is rather expensive if imported straight up. Believe me, I have firsthand experience here . The singlemost expensive component is the head unit/snout/bypass assembly, which originates in Sweden, ships to Whipple in California, then off to Australia. That's a lot of pricey freight, not to mention that a certain number of parts actually originate in the US, and a few more can be made more economically here. Air shipping from Oz is astronomical. Obtaining some components here will have a twofold benefit: reduced acquisition cost and elimination of international shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Whipple Superchargers?-blower_6.jpg   Whipple Superchargers?-blower_3.jpg   Whipple Superchargers?-blower_4.jpg   Whipple Superchargers?-blower_5.jpg   Whipple Superchargers?-blower_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Whipple Superchargers?