Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR224/224-114 Cam with little else.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TR224/224-114 Cam with little else.

Hi guys. Will I be okay with the TR224/224-114 cam on a my car? It will be going in my 2002 Z28 that has Kook's LT's w/ catted y-pipe, cutout, stock catback, and an SLP lid, no other mods.

I want a little more performance but I also wanna be able to pass OBD-II and emission inspection in Mass.

What kind of gains should I expect?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Pretty decent gains, since you have LT's and CAI. I have the TR224 112LSA cam with a K&N, catback, Dynatech LT's and a tune. That's it. Put down 375RWHP/ 363RWTQ. The difference in performance above 2500RPM is very noticable, and the sound is nice too The 114LSA will sacrifice a bit of total high end HP, but the torque curve should peak a little lower and it might actually produce a touch more torque. Always good. It won't lope as much with the 114LSA either.

Don't forget to upgrade the valvesprings and pushrods at a minimum. You can get everything in a kit. Makes life easy.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Schantin
Pretty decent gains, since you have LT's and CAI. I have the TR224 112LSA cam with a K&N, catback, Dynatech LT's and a tune. That's it. Put down 375RWHP/ 363RWTQ. The difference in performance above 2500RPM is very noticable, and the sound is nice too The 114LSA will sacrifice a bit of total high end HP, but the torque curve should peak a little lower and it might actually produce a touch more torque. Always good. It won't lope as much with the 114LSA either.

Don't forget to upgrade the valvesprings and pushrods at a minimum. You can get everything in a kit. Makes life easy.
Thanks for your post!

That sounds great! I opted for the 114 SLA becuase I like the smoother idle and wide torque range. And I am planning to use a better single spring set up for the valves, as well as the pushrod upgrade.

I wonder if the lifters can be replaced without costing extra labor. I have a little ticking issue when the car is cold
Old 10-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got the whole cam kit from Thunderracing with that cam and i love it.. i wanted something to make more power but not sacrifice driveability and thats exactly what i got..
Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 PM

I know a lot of local guys in Ma. with a lot larger cam than that passing OBD II testing. You should PM Slowhawk, he is in Raynham Ma. He is also a local tunning ledgend.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I know a lot of local guys in Ma. with a lot larger cam than that passing OBD II testing. You should PM Slowhawk, he is in Raynham Ma. He is also a local tunning ledgend.
heh I've been lurking around the East coast forum and I plan to speak with Slowhawk. I guess he's the man.

I don't know if I want a larger cam though. I drive this car daily when the weather is good but you never know....

Thanks for your help!

GO PATRIOTS!!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Don't forget a tune (of course). You'll need it to help driveability, idle, part throttle performance, fuel economy, and full throttle performance. I'd recommend HP tuners. As long as you're willing to read read read and do it yourself. 224 is a good overall cam.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I wonder if the lifters can be replaced without costing extra labor. I have a little ticking issue when the car is cold
i dont think any sane shop would change the lifters without any extra labor costs, because they would be pulling the heads to do that and only that, big job for just lifters, i would wait until you go with some heads, or if you really really have to replace the lfters.. good luck.. btw im running a tr224 on 112, still untuned but loving it
Old 11-01-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always thought that the 112 LSA adds more torque and is better in the lower rpm range, basically it shifts the powerband further down compared to the 114?

Either way, I am happy with my 112.

Manny
Old 11-01-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by superchannelkev
i dont think any sane shop would change the lifters without any extra labor costs, because they would be pulling the heads to do that and only that, big job for just lifters, i would wait until you go with some heads, or if you really really have to replace the lfters.. good luck.. btw im running a tr224 on 112, still untuned but loving it
Thanks for the info. I agree on the extra charge. But do the heads have to come off to replace lifters? I don't think so. I think they can be replaced with removal of the intake and rocker assemblies etc. No?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
I always thought that the 112 LSA adds more torque and is better in the lower rpm range, basically it shifts the powerband further down compared to the 114?

Either way, I am happy with my 112.

Manny
From the sticky:

C. Lobe Separation Angle (LSA)

- LSA is defined as spread in camshaft degrees between the intake centerline and the exhaust centerline.

- Overlap is the number of crankshaft degrees that both the intake and exhaust valves are open as the cylinder transitions through the end of the exhaust stroke and into the intake stroke

- LSA is ground into the cam and cannot be changed without grinding a new cam

- Bigger duration cams will have more overlap then a smaller duration cam even if both are on the same LSA.

- The key to making overlap work is maximizing the power in the rpm band where you want it.

- Long overlap periods work best for high-rpm power. For the street, a long overlap period combined with long-duration profiles combine to kill low-speed torque

- Reducing overlap on a long-duration cam will often increase midrange torque at the expense of peak power, but if the average torque improves, that’s probably a change worth making.

- Many enthusiasts purchase a camshaft strictly on the basis of how it sounds. A cam with generous overlap creates that distinctive choppy idle that just sounds cool.

- While doing my research on the T1 I cam across this dyno in which if I recall Tony (Nineball) stated that the blue graph was a T1 (112 lsa) and the other 2 where a B1 (114) lsa. 112 vs. 114

- What really affects where the cam makes the most power is the intake timing events. What affects drivability most is the exhaust-closing event.