Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tyres for drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Which tyres for drag racing?

What tyre would you guys recommend for drag racing (rear only).

Car is stock ride height and would be using the stock 16x8 rims.

Basically I'm after the best solution here, maximum grip but it must be street legal so that I can drive the car to the strip and back.

I know BFG and Nitto make DR's, but what about Street ET's? Who makes them and what options are there with brand and size.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well nittos are street legal, i'd have to say i have heard the best reviews for nittos, as far as a track tire that doubles as a street tire, i am getting mine friday, we're getting the nitto 555r, i believe... they cost the same if not less than the tires i had on my car beofre that burnt away at the first thought of going to the track....if you want those you can scrape them off my quarter panel
Old 11-02-2005, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

and btw , this is posted in the wrong forum , there's a tires and wheels section , just telling you in case you get it moved, where to look
Old 11-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Coal Mining Director

If you want to drive it to the track I would use Mickey Thompson ET STreet Radials. They are very stable with your front radials and they make a size for your 16x8 rims....just don't drive them in the rain.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

^that too but if you go mt's i would go all out for the slicks, i've heard (this is just me) mt's arnt a good street tire (b/c of handle) and i think he's looking for something really streetable....if you do go MT then make sure you read up on them , some of the mt radials (as a matter of fact alot of radials) arnt recommend for highway use and so forth, but i think if money isnt an option get an extra set of wheels and go for the MTs... but make sure to do your research , and lisetn to the recommendations, i have heard WAYYY to many stories of ppl trying to drive their radials in bad conditons and they lost thier ****, sorry to go on , i just wouldnt want you to hurt yourself , or be disatisfied with the fact that you cant get to work one day cos its raining and you didnt listen to the manufactor's waring
Old 11-02-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

it would be for track use only, but I still have the issue of getting the car to the track. So they must be road legal.

I run some semi-slick Michelin Sport Cups on my other car, so I'll know to be careful.

Basically I'm looking at getting some other rims, these will be for every day street use. So I might as well put some thing more suitable for drag racing on the old rims.

Also slicks would mean I'd have to run in a different class. With ET's as they are road legal, I could still enter with them.

Been looking at these:

Mickey Thompson Street ET 27X10.50-16LT, these appear to be the only ones for a 8j rim. Would the 27" hieght cause clearance issues?

They do have 26X10.50-16LT listed but it states that a 9j rim should be used.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:14 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

M/T ET Street Radial tire info:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.html

Tire info from the site:

Inflation Pressures

On the racetrack DO NOT use starting pressures below 11 psi.

Recommend pressures for:

P295 and larger sizes: 11-14 psi

P275 and smaller sizes: 12-16 psi

On the highway we recommend running 75% of the max psi as notes on the sidewall of the tire.

Burnouts

The tread compound used in the ET Street Radials is designed to heat quickly and does not require a heavy burnout. Continue the burnout until the engine starts to pull down. We do not recommend a dry hop after the burnout.

Bead/Wheel Slippage

Some bead/wheel slippage may result during the course of a 1/4 mile (or 1/8 mile) drag race. This is normal.

Use of Bead Screw

If you elect to use bead screws, we recommend the installation of 16 equally spaced screws per bead.

Bead-Lock Wheels

For drag strip speeds in excess of 180 mph, Bead-lock wheels are highly recommended.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
it would be for track use only, but I still have the issue of getting the car to the track. So they must be road legal.

I run some semi-slick Michelin Sport Cups on my other car, so I'll know to be careful.

Basically I'm looking at getting some other rims, these will be for every day street use. So I might as well put some thing more suitable for drag racing on the old rims.

Also slicks would mean I'd have to run in a different class. With ET's as they are road legal, I could still enter with them.

Been looking at these:

Mickey Thompson Street ET 27X10.50-16LT, these appear to be the only ones for a 8j rim. Would the 27" hieght cause clearance issues?

They do have 26X10.50-16LT listed but it states that a 9j rim should be used.

Those are not radials....I've used both and the ET Street Radials don't sway like the ET Streets do with street radials on the front of the car.....I leave my ET Street radials on for regular street driving....but not in the rain.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onfire
Those are not radials....I've used both and the ET Street Radials don't sway like the ET Streets do with street radials on the front of the car.....I leave my ET Street radials on for regular street driving....but not in the rain.
ummm.

According to MT's website they only offer one 'ET Street Radial' in 16", but it requires a 10j rim, so I guess that's out of the question unless I get new rims, which kinda defeats the object of making use of the ones I already have.

Would you not recommend ET Steets at all for road driving?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

depends on how "street" we're talking about..daily driver, sunday driver, just to and from the track? i wouldnt recommend radials for daily driving, personally, but thats just me
Old 11-04-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you want to hook hard.... www.intercotire.com look at the cheeter slicks. i had the 26x11.5x16 m&h racemasters and would cut 1.5 60's on a stock suspenchion m6. i did break stuff under there but the tires did the job.