Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detailers pissin me off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailers pissin me off!!!

A new detailing shop opened in town and I went to check it out so I asked the guy how much he would charge me to buff out my swirl marks and he said 40 bucks and we'll wax your car I was like HELL YEAH! So I come back the next day at around 4 o' clock and I come back at 6 the car looks badass so I go to school the next day and I get outside and notice wtf I see swirl marks LOTS of them . I take my car to an actual body shop and the guy says they didnt buff them and he'd be willing to buff a section to show me what a real buff would look like I was like damn! So I go back to the shop and tell the dude that I didnt ask him to take out hte swirls and they cant take them out so I say sure they did so we go out and look at the car and he's tries to say that if he wanted me to take out the scratches, i'm like omg...MY CAR DOESNT HAVE SCRATCHES, I say no the swirls! He says you cant take them out so I say bullshit and procede to show him that the body shop had buffed it and he says oh...I did the bumper and the rest of the guys did the car so I then procedes to say come back on thursday but i'm like, I don't think i'll be in town so I can ask for a refund so I flat out tell him I want my money back but he says no, i'm like so i'm going to take it there tommorow and he says he's gonna get rid of the swirls and im gonna record the milage make sure he doesnt drive it and i'm going to watch him buff it! Now then, what shall I say if he pulls out something other than an orbital shall I ask for my money back again or have an "adult" come with me demanding a refund, i'm only 17 and this guys a f*cking *****!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the car back, don't let this hack touch it ever again. If he's a real *** about the refund, bring an adult with you.
Learn to do it yourself, it's easier than you think. I have a black WS6, and when I bought it I had no detailing experience, it's now completely swirl free, and it's not thanks to any detailer.
There' a forum specifically for detailing cars, and the products that are used. It's called www.Autopia.org go and read and learn, and there are some of us here that can help too.
Don't despair, your car can and will be swirl free again
BTW if you want to mess with this guy make a picket sign and walk up and down the sidewalk in front of his place of business, you might even get some media attention (depending on the size of the town) but I bet you'll damn sure get his attention.
If he says you're trespassing he's full of it, you are walking on a public sidewalk, exercising your right to free speech
Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Take an adult, and don't let him touch the car. Sounds like a ***** to me. I am 17 too i have the same damn problem with people showing no respect for you or your car. Hes probably like an just a kid more money for me, and i get to ruin his awesome car that i will never be able to afford. My T/A has swirl marks from when i had it waxed.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

Well my parents are outta town so i'll have to ask my buds dad if he'll come with me he's just being an *** about a refund and with those 40$ I could buy a Porter Cable!!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

yes get an adult involved. preferably a crazy uncle or something. have thme raise hell.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

I have a bud that does body work for a living and he's gonna come along with me and if they do one little thing wrong i'll give em hell and ask for my money back !
Old 11-02-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, definetly get a Porter Cable. It is easy as hell to use and works incredible. It's gonna cost more than $40 though. Probably around $200 with all of the pads and different polishes. Good luck with the ***** though.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

oh well I mean I have 90 now and with those 40 i'll have enough for something think this is good ? Polisher This ONE looks better due to the lower speed what do you guys think? This one is 300 rpms Buffer
But they are rotarys not random like the porter, anyone care to chime in?

Last edited by LS1 GG; 11-02-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

i got my car right before i turned 18, i'm 19 now, and have noticed people tend to try to take advantage of you. just let them know you know what the hell you're talkin about and your not just a little no-common-sense brat who's parents bought the car for you. thats what i do and it really catches them off guard.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

Yeah he said you couldnt take out the swirls since they were in the clear coat so I said dude, i'm not stupid that REALLY caught him off gaurd lol!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Old 11-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Launching!

I can give you some good advice on this because I work at a Car Wash & Detail place.. I am the head guy (at just 17 yrs old like yourself), I am the one and only *service writer* when I work, which means I'm the guy that waves you up to the vaccum lanes, and greets you and tries to sell you things, to boost my ticket avg, and therefore give me a percent of the annual income....But here are some things about the company i work for...

heres some prices...

Express Hand Wax ~ 45.99, this includes a wash, and then a detailer takes your car and using an orbital, hand waxes your car.. He removes the wax, does your windows, wipes down your dash, armorall's your tires, and wipes out your door jambs.

It includes no buffing.. If some guy charged you $40.00, I find it very hard to believe that included a Buff...

our buffing service is part of a deal called a "3-Step package", and this includes a Clay, Buff, Glaze, and Wax, its $99.99, and also comes with a wash...

If you only paid $40.00 perhaps they were trying to sell you rather than give you a quality result...

There should be a gentlemen there called the "Detail Manager", talk to him and tell him what you were told, and what you got, and why you were dissapointed... if the detail manager is a dick (they are very smooth talkers, make sure your solid, and you get heard, I see people everyday get smooth talked and they end up just giving away when they have legitament arguements) then it's safe to say your out of luck.... The detail manager is the one responsible, and is the one that should help you out of your unfortunate situation.. Make sure you bring a reciept, and know the detailers name...
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
Yeah he said you couldnt take out the swirls since they were in the clear coat so I said dude, i'm not stupid that REALLY caught him off gaurd lol!
I'm assuming you know that buffing heats up the paint and spreads it around, which means it can fix most anything, besides deep scratches. But a bad buff job can cause swirl marks, which would be even worse, make sure you get someoen that knows what they are doing.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

$40 should have been your first tip-off. You'll be hard pressed to find a quality swirl removal job anywhere for less than $100, and that doesn't include the rest of the detailing (ie. wax, dressing, interior, etc.).

I charge about $175 for a full detail and swirl removal on a f-body (some say I'm too cheap).

If you're going to try and do it yourself, you need to invest in a Porter Cable random orbital (see sticky at top of page) and the supporting pads, polishes, towels, etc. Expect to pay $200+ for supplies/equipment.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

If a "detail shop" doesn't know what swirl marks are then don't go back. I would bet you will have them mess up your paint if they try to get the swirl marks out. Who knows what they will try or if they even know what they are doing. I have someone detail my car pretty often and I wouldn't take it to anyone else. He knows what he is doing and it shows. He has even wet sanded my hood some to take out a few scuffs in my clear coat and you can't even tell they were there. DON'T LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR AGAIN... at least I wouldn't
Old 11-02-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
oh well I mean I have 90 now and with those 40 i'll have enough for something think this is good ? Polisher This ONE looks better due to the lower speed what do you guys think? This one is 300 rpms Buffer
But they are rotarys not random like the porter, anyone care to chime in?
Do NOT repeat NOT get a rotary, unless you are very skilled you'll f*ck up the paint. Get the porter cable random orbit, some pads, and some good polish, and some wax/sealer (I use Menzerna, others will chime in with their favorites) and get after those swirl marks, don't worry if you haven't ever done it before, it's actually quite easy, the PC won't burn the paint (unlike a rotary can), then you'll see what a well detailed car will look like, not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself
It'll likely take the better part of a day, but you can do it and make it look good, any questions search, if you don't find the answer then make a new thread, we'll help as much as we can
Good luck
Old 11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Do NOT repeat NOT get a rotary, unless you are very skilled you'll f*ck up the paint. Get the porter cable random orbit, some pads, and some good polish, and some wax/sealer (I use Menzerna, others will chime in with their favorites) and get after those swirl marks, don't worry if you haven't ever done it before, it's actually quite easy, the PC won't burn the paint (unlike a rotary can), then you'll see what a well detailed car will look like, not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself
It'll likely take the better part of a day, but you can do it and make it look good, any questions search, if you don't find the answer then make a new thread, we'll help as much as we can
Good luck
Definetly get the random orbital!!!! It is going to cast a little more but is damn near idiot proof (I would know ) and you can't beat the results!
Old 11-03-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Jesus Christ man, PERIODS!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Banned

lol, yeah well I thought 40 was good for a buff it takes what 2 hours to buff a car. I cleaned the inside and washed it myself. Although a body shop quoted me 150 for a wax and buff.

Last edited by LS1 GG; 11-03-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Body shop > drive up place
ZaneO type person (like me) > body shop.

Check the porter cable stick at the top of the forum, lots of useful info there. I think I've even posted something useful in there..