Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any suggestions on a possible problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any suggestions on a possible problem

I just got my sts kit hooked up tonight. I started the car and reved it to about 2500-3000 rpm and the boost guage would only fluctuate betwen -20 and -15 NO BOOST. It didnt sound like it was spooling up either. I havnt tapped the BOV into the brake booster (? do I need to tap it into the big hose coming off the booster or is there smaller ones) yet so I am hoping that is the problem. I did have my turboxs boost controller all the way to the negative so i could get some boost reading to adjust it. Maybe im overreacting, but can some one help me.

thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Was the car moving, or were you just revving it in the garage? The turbo will not build boost unless it is under a load. Get it fully installed and then take it for a ride.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
Was the car moving, or were you just revving it in the garage? The turbo will not build boost unless it is under a load. Get it fully installed and then take it for a ride.

I didn't know that. I guess that the turbo has to be spinning since there is exhaust coming out of the tail pipe
Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

ya you wont make any boost just reving it, you have to take it for a ride it needs a load to spool it up.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Teching In

How about the BOV do I tap it into the big hose on the brake booster or are there any smaller ones??
Old 11-03-2005, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I taped it into the booster seems to be the best place.so you have a really good source for vac.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boosted99camaro
I taped it into the booster seems to be the best place.so you have a really good source for vac.

You tapped into the booster itsself? not hoses coming off of it?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

no I tapped into the hose going to the booster with a vac tee
Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

philly, I do not want to be rude but why did you get a turbo. It doesn't sound like you know how turbos work and this could be very dangerous to you and others on the road
Old 11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
philly, I do not want to be rude but why did you get a turbo. It doesn't sound like you know how turbos work and this could be very dangerous to you and others on the road

Hey ya gota start somewhere!! Just dont be gettin on it in the middle of traffic for the first time. Just go to some back road where there are no cars (or pedestrians) and give it hell. Start off easy cause it will supprise you if you've never been in a turbo car before!!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
I got a turbo because I have the money to spend, and the biggest reason is because I wanted one. Just because I asked one simple question (sorry, this is the first turbo Ive owned and Im researching so I DONT explode the engine) has nothing to do with being safe on the road. Ive drivin many turbo cars and a 550+ hp 67 camaro, i think ill be able to handle it. If my question makes me sound stupid, im very sorry, but Im not stupid enough to go crazy in my car before seeing what she can do in a safe environment.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Phillymu, don't take others comments the wrong way. Just understand that a 550 hp n/a car is very different than a 550 hp turbo car. And, since your used to driving a powerful car, you should be much more concerned with making sure you don't break something. I would suggest doing a search for the STS kit and read a lot. Trust me...there is a lot to learn.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions on a possible problem