Can you spot "Waldo?"

More pics...

Old 11-04-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awwwww
i know the feeling all to well.
I think i trashed mine the other day though, but they were bad... Real bad
but not as bad as waldo. I think 14 of them the center of the lifter just flaked away...

What does the cam look like?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes my car just recovered from such a tragedy, same thing happened, messed up cam, and other ECT ECT. Geez it thought those were mine.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brandon
awwwww
i know the feeling all to well.
I think i trashed mine the other day though, but they were bad... Real bad
but not as bad as waldo. I think 14 of them the center of the lifter just flaked away...

What does the cam look like?
the one lobe is pretty haggard, it doesn't look like there's any pits in the profile, but the face itself scored up a bit, any idea on how much scoring is "too much?"
Old 11-04-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem, but mine ruined the cam, and it was only one lifter and one lobe. I feel you man! That had to sound obnoxious before you took it apart!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

post a pic.
my f14 had around .100 lip in it.
not too sure how much can be knocked off before it gets into the 'soft' core of the cam... Honestly don't know much about that, I've read on it before, but thats about it.

Did you find alot of shavings in the oil, or it start making horrendous racket?

I found some shavings in the oil, then 3,000 miles later it went boom.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
I had the same problem, but mine ruined the cam, and it was only one lifter and one lobe. I feel you man! That had to sound obnoxious before you took it apart!
I always had an intermittent tapping, too faint to be a fully collapsed lifter, but i was about 1/4 mile from my house when it started chirping at me, I was hoping I caught it in time, and hoping the although the cam is a bit tattered, it will get me by for the next few months as I start looking at a new motor.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

post a pic.
my f14 had around .100 lip in it.
not too sure how much can be knocked off before it gets into the 'soft' core of the cam... Honestly don't know much about that, I've read on it before, but thats about it.

Did you find alot of shavings in the oil, or it start making horrendous racket?

I found some shavings in the oil, then 3,000 miles later it went boom.
mmm... wasn't planning on pulling the cam... i changed my oil about 2-3 weeks ago and had not horrendous amount, but a fair bit, from the point the motor was making a faint tapping and transformed into this chirping/louder tapping, the car was driven for 1/4 mile and parked
Old 11-04-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn
I had just came back from the power tour, changed the oil and found a few slivers of metal. Drove it 2500 more and changed the oil. found more slivers. No noise really (dont remember at least). Call BigBronco the next monday morning after I had put around 40miles on the car (driving to work) to ask for recommendations on a shortblock price, etc... I went out to lunch started the car up and things went south bad. It was a knocking bitch. Drove it home, pissed off, and drove it to work again. Then moved, and left the car at the parents house, then it made the trek to SQR, so it had around 200 miles on it. Had a few bearings that looked like ****, and whatnot.. Oh and since the lobe of the cam was ground down (forget which few it was) it wasnt opening the exhaust valve all the way, and ended up getting a bunch of fuel in the oil..
Old 11-04-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

so you've pulled the cam now or not?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you've pulled the cam now or not?
no i was spying it through the lifter bores, actually got a pretty good angle at it, i mean not a 100% clear picture, but in any case, check out the roller heads on all the other lifters too, they are looking like they are seeing some bad action as well... I wonder if perhaps it might have something to do with not having enough spring pressure, which would be causing my lifters to hop off the cam some, which also could have been why one of them rotated... I run the Crane duals that are made to shim, but i never did and the car always ran great, but always had the chattery-est damn valvetrain ever. The lifter guide itself was in good condition and does not show any warpage or breakage to allow for the rotation. I'm really starting to get all sorts of ideas in my head.

When i pulled the busted lifter out, it snagged a bit on the bore hole, leaving a few sharp lines on the surface, any idea is that's acceptable or not? And the cam too, that's just something I am not terribly sure about as in what is too much or not. Then there's the matter if I run around for the next couple of months on new lifters, will they get chewed up some too and be useless or shamed some when I swap motors... erg, I really can't afford the downtime, but I hate bandaiding **** that obviously needs surgery...
Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

well I'd pull the cam and check it out before going with new lifters, or using used stock lifters from a local.

I'd really hate to see you put it back together with a chewed up cam and end up hurting things worse. Pull it out, and try to smooth the scratch in the lifter bore... maye a scotchbrite pad?
Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I'd pull the cam and check it out before going with new lifters, or using used stock lifters from a local.

I'd really hate to see you put it back together with a chewed up cam and end up hurting things worse. Pull it out, and try to smooth the scratch in the lifter bore... maye a scotchbrite pad?
to be honest i'm considering just pulling the whole ****** and being SOL for the next 3 months
Old 11-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Launching!

damn will that sucks. Wish you best of luck. I've been wondering if you wanted to work on my car to try to find the problem but I see you have some of your own at the moment. Good luck
Old 11-04-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

sol for 3 months?
man come on now, gotta keep on the upside of things.

you can find a stock rebuild fairly cheap, even a pull out shortblock in good condition even cheaper if you want to go that route.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VsGonzo
damn will that sucks. Wish you best of luck. I've been wondering if you wanted to work on my car to try to find the problem but I see you have some of your own at the moment. Good luck
Thanks Mike, actually i had some very good ideas in regards to your setup, we need to test my thoughts soon. It looks like I will be outta wheels for a while but we will get together. E-mail me during the week, we'll work it out.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

sol for 3 months?
man come on now, gotta keep on the upside of things.

you can find a stock rebuild fairly cheap, even a pull out shortblock in good condition even cheaper if you want to go that route.
i don't have the finances to do this in any other fashion than approximately 3 months. If I'm gonna rebuild it's going to be the way i want it, i'm not very keen on duplicating efforts for the time aspect and monetary waste of it. I have one option to get me by for that time frame, but it's an ugly one. And this will set other non-automotive related plans back for another half a year which is killing me. I'm not really seeing this "upside" you speak of...
Old 11-04-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

true... when mine went, it was at the wrong time too.

I was planning on a rearend....... and that was 4 months ago, and I'm still trying to get everything straightened back out.

What setup are you wanting to go with?

For the time being, pull the cam out, see how it is, find some used lifters, and if all is well, button it back up and drive it. couple hundred bucks for all gaskets, fluids, parts, etc..
Old 11-04-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

true... when mine went, it was at the wrong time too.

I was planning on a rearend....... and that was 4 months ago, and I'm still trying to get everything straightened back out.

What setup are you wanting to go with?

For the time being, pull the cam out, see how it is, find some used lifters, and if all is well, button it back up and drive it. couple hundred bucks for all gaskets, fluids, parts, etc..
Forged 347, i already got all the repair parts i needed for this job, in hopes it was just the lifters alone, but my apprehensions have been realized after finally opening her all up. If i button her up now all gimp like, that's just another few hundred bucks i spend again when i go for the build, which at this point is going to happen whether I have wheels ready tomorrow morning or not. So the question is, will i be under the car to pull the motor tomorrow morn, or to try and secure the bandaid...
Old 11-05-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Man that sucks...grab some used lifters and throw it back together if the cam looks ok...

Talk to you later.

B