Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size tires for skinnies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size tires for skinnies?

I just purchased some bogarts and am looking for tires. I already decided to go with Hooseir QTP 27x11.5x15 for the rears. I'm having a hard time deciding on tires for the front. They are 15x4. Steve recommended MTT-1573 for the front but it's a 26" tall tire. I don't really like the looks of the taller tire on the front. Is 26" pretty standard for the skinnies or can I go with something a little smaller? I have adjustable shocks in front so I can adjust the ride height if needed. What do you use? Any suggestions would help and if you have pics that would really help too.
TIA
Old 11-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

26x4.5x15 ET Front is what myself, and many others use.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

Cool thanks. So a 26" tire is pretty much my only option for the skinnies?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rufretic
Cool thanks. So a 26" tire is pretty much my only option for the skinnies?
If you want a little less roll out you can go with a 25" tire.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry I'm a newb when it comes to tires but what is roll out and how will it affect me at the track?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rufretic
Sorry I'm a newb when it comes to tires but what is roll out and how will it affect me at the track?
Roll out is how far the tire will travel before breaking the beams from the staged position. A larger circumference will travel a greater distance from launch to the time you trigger the beams. A shallow stage with a large circumference tire will give you a quicker et because of the slight head start that you get from extra distance the tire has to travel before it breaks the beam. A small circumference tire will give a quicker reaction but a slightly slower et.
A tire with alot of roll out also will give you more latitude to adjust your reaction times in the staging beams.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another consideration when choosing a front runner is the type of drag racing you will be doing.
Bracket racers will stuff as much tire as they can get under the finder...Roll out is KING in bracket racing, while pro tree racers will usualy use a much smaller tire so that they can react to the tree quicker.

hope this helps,

Maggie Stewart,
Triple S & Stewart Racing
Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Good tips Maggie.

A 26" tire is the stock height tire. If you do change to different height tires (front or rear)...unless you are disabling ABS and traction control, it will be effected. The MTT-1573 is the best choice for a DOT legal tire. If you want to save quite a bit of weight using an ET drag or Moroso DS2 drag tire are great choices...these are not DOT legal if this is a concern.

If you do choose a smaller 25" tire, watch your front end, it's going to be lower to the ground. You will also have quite a bit more space from the tire to the fender lip...which some do not like.

Let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

Steve
Old 11-07-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the help Maggie.

Hey Steve, if you don't know who I am, I'm Lou. I just ordered the welded RTs and the 12 bolt. I didn't realize the stock height was 26" for some reason I thought it was smaller. If thats the case I'll just get the ones you recommended. I'm more concerned with ET than anything else. I also would like to be able to drive on the street once in a while so I need the DOT ones.
Thanks,
Lou
Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

Lou,

It's hard to tell whom anyone is by their nickname:-). Please let me know if you need anything else.

Steve