Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

UMI short stick

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI short stick

I just installed the UMI short stick on my factory Hurst this weekend. All I can say is WOW what a difference. Shifts are much more percise, and I would say about a 1/3 shorter than stock. The best part is no more rubbery feeling. It is worth every penny of the $26.00 I paid. Also it only took me about five minutes to get use to the new postion of the shifter.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tirefryer
I just installed the UMI short stick on my factory Hurst this weekend. All I can say is WOW what a difference. Shifts are much more percise, and I would say about a 1/3 shorter than stock. The best part is no more rubbery feeling. It is worth every penny of the $26.00 I paid. Also it only took me about five minutes to get use to the new postion of the shifter.

Definately saved me from going with another shifter
Old 11-07-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

I have the same setup. Before I put the UMI on the stock hurst, I was contemplating buying a Pro 5.0. I figured, if i bought the UMI short stick and didnt like it, I could always just upgrade to the Pro 5.0 and have a short stick with it. As it turns out I dont miss shifts anymore and am happy with the setup I have now. I dont know if I'm going to bother even buying a new shifter.

JIM
Old 11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Launching!

I really like the feeling now, I'll see how it does at the track soon. Then I'll see if I want to get the PRO 5.0.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

So its a big improvement over the stock hurst option? or just the normal stock one?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Does this fit the stock non-Hurst shifter base? I thought UMI said it doesn't but then I saw on here someone said they put it on their stock shifter.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 AM
Staging Lane

I just put mine on too. Never thought it would make that much difference. Man was I wrong! Shifts are now more precise , quicker better feel. All for about $33 shipped. I'm thinking of going with their subframe connectors, since this product is so good.
The instructions I got said it WILL NOT fit on the non-hurst base, I'm pretty sure if it did they wouldn't say that. They would want to sell it to everyone IMHO
Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mikey340
I just put mine on too. Never thought it would make that much difference. Man was I wrong! Shifts are now more precise , quicker better feel. All for about $33 shipped. I'm thinking of going with their subframe connectors, since this product is so good.
The instructions I got said it WILL NOT fit on the non-hurst base, I'm pretty sure if it did they wouldn't say that. They would want to sell it to everyone IMHO
I purchased a Lou's Short Stick and Love it. If I would have known UMI had one I would have when through them. I purchased their 3 pt SFC desing and could not be any happier. I put my car on Rhino Ramps, put on the SFC's, then drove off the ramps and I immediatly felt the diffrence comming off the ramps.

Last edited by CashMoney; 11-08-2005 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling errors.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CashMoney
I purchased a Lou's Short Stick and Love it. If I would have known UMI had one I would have when through them. I purchased their 3 pt SFC desing and could not be any happier. I put my car on Rhino Ramps, put on the SFC's, then drove off the ramps and I immediatly felt the diffrence comming off the ramps.
I purchased their 2pt. bolt in SFC's at the same time as the short stick. Even only being the 2pt. and bolt in, they are excellent. I imediatly noticed the difference just pulling out of my driveway when the first back tire dropped down the incline. It feels like a totally different car, much stiffer, less creeks and rattles, and just more solid all around. I could not be happier. As for the shifter as stated above this is for the factory Hurst shifter cars. It will not fit the non Hurst cars. If you have a factory Hurst get this short stick, you will be extremly pleased to get rid of the rubbery factory handle, and cut your shifter throws by 1/3.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the Hurst/SLP shifter on your car, you can always buy one used, there are usually several for sale on ebay, or in the for sale section (it's cheaper that the Pro 5.0 or any of the other aftermarket shifters)
Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

has anyone tried it on a pro 5.0 and seen improvements?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Where can you get this (UMI)?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Teching In

www.umiperfomance.com I also have the shifter and LOVE it. I bought LCA's from them too and all I can say is that the customer service at umi is top notch and I wish they would have had the torque arm out when I bought my spohn stuff.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:19 PM

It took me quite a while to get use to it. I love it now.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the comments everyone

The short stick can be seen at the link below

http://www.umiperformance.com/2105.aspx

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-11-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to go with a Pro 5.0... thinking anything had to be an improvement over the stock hurst...... well I decided to try the UMI short stick first just to see if it made a difference..... wow.... Its odd getting used to the angle at first... but now I cant imagine not having the short stick.

My only disclaimer is that the short stick is not insulated with rubber, it is just a solid piece of metal.... meaning it will transmit more gear noise.... only noticeable at low speeds with the radio off, windows closed, and the AC/Heater off.....even then its not barely heard.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:41 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIDER
has anyone tried it on a pro 5.0 and seen improvements?
That was the setup I ran.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SporkLover
I was going to go with a Pro 5.0... thinking anything had to be an improvement over the stock hurst...... well I decided to try the UMI short stick first just to see if it made a difference..... wow.... Its odd getting used to the angle at first... but now I cant imagine not having the short stick.

My only disclaimer is that the short stick is not insulated with rubber, it is just a solid piece of metal.... meaning it will transmit more gear noise.... only noticeable at low speeds with the radio off, windows closed, and the AC/Heater off.....even then its not barely heard.
I am glad they did not insulate with rubber. That was part of the problem with the factory shifter, is that it had a rubbery feeling to it. Without it I can definitly feel the gears much better. I really didn't notice anymore noise? Actually my car is quieter now, but that is because I put the SFC's in at the same time and they did get rid of some creaks and rattles.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

I waiting on my UMI and Pro5.0 to arrive,and I also ordered the UMI sfc and lca's. I cant wait to try it out. UMI makes great stuff and great prices.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pro 5.0 with UMI short stick here. I love it, bangs the gears out very nice

Quick Reply: UMI short stick