Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this connector & wires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is this connector & wires?

Sorry for the confusing Engrish. I'm trying to find out what this connector and 3 wires go to. I can't trace them far enough under the cowl to figure it out. It seems they run from under the cowl, to the connector by the filler neck, then back to the cowl Any help?

Old 11-09-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year model car is this?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

98. No TCS.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

The male side of the harness looks like the EGR plug. I may be wrong though, haven't been around many 98's.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
The male side of the harness looks like the EGR plug. I may be wrong though, haven't been around many 98's.
No, the EGR harness and wiring has been removed. This is something else.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the wires red, brown & grey? That is the color code for '98' EGR
Red is power feed, Grey is EGR ground, Brown is EGR signal...I belive
Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Maggie
Are the wires red, brown & grey? That is the color code for '98' EGR
Red is power feed, Grey is EGR ground, Brown is EGR signal...I belive
They're red, grey, and orangish. It's possible that its EGR crap, but I thought I removed all the EGR wiring (the wires that ran to the EGR solenoid pictured below).

Here's a closeup of the 3 wires and connector I'm asking about.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a way to check codes I'de say unplug it turn the key on and see what code pops up. It shouldn't take but one or two ignition cycles for it to throw a code as it would be inactivity or low circuit voltage code.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
If you have a way to check codes I'de say unplug it turn the key on and see what code pops up. It shouldn't take but one or two ignition cycles for it to throw a code as it would be inactivity or low circuit voltage code.
That's what I'd do...
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

That is a connector for the camshaft position sensor I think (C108 in the manual). I dont know if its there for diagnosing or if somewhere along the line the early LS1s were meant to have the cam sensor in front or something. Its a 98 only thing, it goes all the way around to the rear of the motor and back to the PCM - at least according to the service manual anyhow
Old 11-09-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
That is a connector for the camshaft position sensor I think (C108 in the manual). I dont know if its there for diagnosing or if somewhere along the line the early LS1s were meant to have the cam sensor in front or something. Its a 98 only thing, it goes all the way around to the rear of the motor and back to the PCM - at least according to the service manual anyhow
That's some good info to know. The "orangish" wire stumped me... the only orange wires I could think of was cam ps, secondary air injection by pass valve and some secondary power feeds in the electrical centers and I didn't think any of those would have a connector in that area.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
Thanks! I just ran up to Auto Zone and had them scan my PCM and the cam position sensor showed up. I did unplug this earlier and started the car to see if it effected the way it ran but it didn't. Could just unplugging it once cause an SES light? The reason I ask is because I also had the reoccuring O2 heat codes, so I'm wondering which one has been causing the light to be on the past month.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:25 AM
vette=lack of penis

That is for a fact the Cam Position Sensor wiring. Do you have long tube headers? I know for a fact that some years people were having issues with O2 wire extensions and getting DTC's for this. Having that plug unplugged will cause a cam position sensor DTC.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cursed1
That is for a fact the Cam Position Sensor wiring. Do you have long tube headers? I know for a fact that some years people were having issues with O2 wire extensions and getting DTC's for this. Having that plug unplugged will cause a cam position sensor DTC.
Yeah I have headers and have been getting that insufficient heat code intermittantly for years. It doesn't bother me. What I'm wondering is since I got the cam position sensor code, was it tripped due to me just unplugging it once, or has it been failing for a while before this? I guess I should have done this before and after. Oh well
Old 11-10-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you unplug sensors like that it usually only takes one ignition cycle for it to throw a code. So yes. But the light will go off after about 4 driving cycles after you plug it back in.