Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

So My Procharged Z28 Snaps Crank Hub Takes parts with it..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 04:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So My Procharged Z28 Snaps Crank Hub Takes parts with it..

A few days ago I called procharger about the belt tension and told them exactly how tight the belt was, they said it was ok to be able to play the guitar on it.. soo tonight I was racing tonight and a little ways into 4th gear my car makes a very loud pop and a couple thuds then a huge flash of light and starts smoking like crazy.. I pull over and all we can see is that the crank pulley is sideways and my car is covered in oil and coolant. So we call AAA and get a tow truck. I get it home and its not pretty. I took the bottom procharger pipe out and the hub connected to the crank pulley and the procharger crank pulley fall out to the floor.. I look up and see that half my fan is missing and that my opti got rearranged. So I take a closer look and the Crank Snout is slightly beatin up, the opti spark is totally destroyed and in 4 different peices, my fan motor was ripped off and then something (either the crank pulley or the motor for the fan) was thrown into my radiator and the radiator is dented may even be cracked, my coolant lines are torn and those really expensive belts that procharger sells is snapped along with my engine belt. Not to mention that oil and coolant got all over the bottom of my car and probably on my clutch. What do I do about this.. Shouldnt procharger fix this?
Old 11-12-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CountryMuzicZ28
A few days ago I called procharger about the belt tension and told them exactly how tight the belt was, they said it was ok to be able to play the guitar on it.. soo tonight I was racing tonight and a little ways into 4th gear my car makes a very loud pop and a couple thuds then a huge flash of light and starts smoking like crazy.. I pull over and all we can see is that the crank pulley is sideways and my car is covered in oil and coolant. So we call AAA and get a tow truck. I get it home and its not pretty. I took the bottom procharger pipe out and the hub connected to the crank pulley and the procharger crank pulley fall out to the floor.. I look up and see that half my fan is missing and that my opti got rearranged. So I take a closer look and the Crank Snout is slightly beatin up, the opti spark is totally destroyed and in 4 different peices, my fan motor was ripped off and then something (either the crank pulley or the motor for the fan) was thrown into my radiator and the radiator is dented may even be cracked, my coolant lines are torn and those really expensive belts that procharger sells is snapped along with my engine belt. Not to mention that oil and coolant got all over the bottom of my car and probably on my clutch. What do I do about this.. Shouldnt procharger fix this?
sorry to hear that bro what kind of procharger is it? what belt 8 or 12 rib.? What kind of crank is it? Do a search on CZ28.com on my name you will find that something very simular happend to me my 383 was still in break in period and crank snout snaped off while idling in the driway. Sorry to tell you think but no one is going to cover this. I called Eagle about it and i got blowen off by their stuff. It was a eagle 4340 crank now i have Scat and less tension on the belt.
Lonnie on cz28 can help you out, you can have a big block hub which prevents this but you really dont need it unless you runnning big ati with big boost.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to your engine is very unfortunant, to say the least! We tighten these blower belts tight enough to strum them like a guitar string as well, and have never had a crank problem. Your crankshaft very well could of had a porisity problem, it is very hard to say. Certainly don't expect ATI ProCharger to pay for the damaged crankshaft, things happen do to the nature of high performance. Bob
Old 11-12-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

yeah there aint no way ATI is going to pay for any of that

really sucks, sorry to hear it
Old 11-12-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

So did the crank snout itself break, or did the hub just come off?

ATI's customer service sucks, they aren't going to do ANYTHING for you! Sorry!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

It looks like the Hub snapped the key way off the crank and started spinning, the tip of te crank is black.. The crank looks ok except for that and the bolt is still in it.. But the entire crank pulley assembly bounced around and broke a bunch of stuff and shattered my opti. Its a 12rib D1SC kit with a 7.65 crank pulley and a 3.40 blower pulley..
Old 11-12-2005, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Atleast it didn't snap the crank snout like you thought last night. If you want my old gatorback engine belt with 10K on it just let me know...
Old 11-12-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Snapped crank snouts happen A LOT in the S/C'ed LT1 world, nothing you can really do about it, but get a better crank the next time around and hope it lasts longer.
My bro went with a Race Master crank from callies(I think thats who made it) on his 396 LT1 stroker build.
J
Old 11-12-2005, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Snapped crank snouts happen A LOT in the S/C'ed LT1 world, nothing you can really do about it, but get a better crank the next time around and hope it lasts longer.
My bro went with a Race Master crank from callies(I think thats who made it) on his 396 LT1 stroker build.
J
My crank HUB not the snout.. thanks though
Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

DAMN!!!! Sorry to hear of your troubles! I'm in the middle of a rebuild and was wodering if one of the spring loaded tensioners from SDCE would help prevent the hub snout from snapping off or at least what kind of crank should I go with?

-B
Old 11-12-2005, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown383
DAMN!!!! Sorry to hear of your troubles! I'm in the middle of a rebuild and was wodering if one of the spring loaded tensioners from SDCE would help prevent the hub snout from snapping off or at least what kind of crank should I go with?

-B
SDCE I think is LS1 so Im assuming you have an LS1. I believe they have a handle or something that takes the tension off the crank for your motor.. Not for the LT1 though..
Old 11-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Sorry to hear that man. I snapped my crank on my 3rd gen and it was enough for me to go all forged and switch to a cog system. Glad to hear it wasnt the crank and just the hub and some other crap.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryMuzicZ28
My crank HUB not the snout.. thanks though
Well ****, misread that big time... SDCE does make a kit for the LT1 procharger kit tho

I've read about a few people running it on cz28.com and having good luck with it too....FWIW.
J

Quick Reply: So My Procharged Z28 Snaps Crank Hub Takes parts with it..