Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone know of a decent 1g AWD DSM for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know of a decent 1g AWD DSM for sale?

I'm thinking, rather than spend every dime I'm getting from insurance to buy a rolling chassis and build another F-body, I might be better off just getting a beater and pocketing the cash.

Of course, slow beaters just won't do, so an AWD turbo DSM seems to fit the bill nicely Unfortionately they are very hit and miss, getting a fairly clean one is difficult (like finding a stock, unbeaten LS1, only add 10 years!).

So if anyone has one for sale, or knows of a mechanicly decent one in the area, please post it up! Cash in hand ready for the right car...
Old 11-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd think about trying to find a fox body before I'd go
Old 11-20-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the insight, but I'd buy a ******* pink Civic with a tripple decker wing and a fart can and two dead cylinders before I'd buy a blue oval product.

As for the "rice" aspect....

1: I work for a division of Mitsubishi corperate, so I have no particular issues with the company. They take very good care of me.

2: Mustang = RWD, sucks in snow. AWD DSM = AWD, good in snow. I'd rather not go through another winter with a RWD ponycar.

3: I really hate Ford....... I mean I really really really hate Ford. Did I mention that already?

Truthfully, I'll have enough cash from insurance to buy back my car, take out the drivetrain, buy a rolling chassis, and build another LS1 F-body. But this isn't the route I want to take. I'd rather spend a fraction of that for a reasonably quick beater that won't suck to drive in the winter, gets good gas milege, is easy and cheap to mod, and leaves a few grand from that insurance check in my bank account, not in my glovebox.

FWIW, in the four years I had my LS1, there were only two cars other than LS1's that I remember beating me on the street, not that I raced much but, one was an 03 Cobra with a Kenne Bell and other mods. I raced him N/A from a 10mph roll to 80 and he got a 1 1/2 length lead on me.

The other race I raced on the bottle from a tollbooth to about 100mph and never made ground on the car. It was an 1g DSM that ran 10's, daily street driven. Earned my respect.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck finding a good one..i was looking for over a year for a non-beatin the **** out of one..couldn't find any..they're so cheap that people who are cheap buy thema nd hack them up..its a shame too..so much potential.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
good luck finding a good one..i was looking for over a year for a non-beatin the **** out of one..couldn't find any..they're so cheap that people who are cheap buy thema nd hack them up..its a shame too..so much potential.
Exactly what I've been going through. I looked at an 90 Eclipse the other day that had a ton of mods; 16g, exhaust, suspension, etc, etc. Guy wants $2800 for the car, pretty firm on price. The car has ran 12.8 as it sits but it definately needs help, not anything major but a lot of odds and ends. It makes me question the overall car. I was going to look at an 91 today for $3500 that's 100% stock but I didn't get to it. IMO that's too high anyway, but if I can chew them down a good bit it would be worth it. It's the classic "buy a modded car and save some cash but take a risk, or buy a stock car, take a lesser risk, but be $4,000 behind in mods.

The biggest problem isn't that they get hacked because they're cheap, rather they get hacked because people don't know what they're doing or don't want to invest the time and care to do things right. There's nothing on that car I looked that that would have required more money to do right, just more time and care. That's the real aggrivating part. As the mechanic saying goes, "there's a right way and a wrong way to be a hack". Most of the ones I've looked at were NOT hacked right.

BTW JL ws-6, I just read my last post and noticed it could be taken the wrong way. It wasn't directed against you, I just really, really, really despise Ford.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

my friend had a 92 with a big 16g, turbo back exhaust without cat, fuel pump and some other random ****..really solid car...I was looking for a new car and bought one...and then he sold it a month later for 2k..i wish he didn't..his dad bought it new and he had it for 3 years..beat on it a lil, but took care of it..it was a good deal for the guy from newark that got it.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Race your car!

I'm not a ford guy myself.... but I'll tell ya what, ya can't deny the fact that for less then 10 grand you can have a low 11 second daily driver that's reliabe... never mind that the aftermarket for that car is retarded.. you could easily build one hell of a street car just from used parts you could find praticially anywhere.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know any off hand but keep checking autotrader.com Although for me if I was getting a "beater" especially as a daily and only car I would want somehing reliable and dsm's are not that.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Race your car!

Oh yeah, dsm's break more often then there are chin's in a hong kong phone book, the driveline in those are about as good as a stock GM 10 bolt.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down

i know somone that is selling a 2g very modded,but its 8500 maybe a lil too expensive
Old 11-20-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dsm's get a bad wrap. Overall they are pretty good cars.All to often kids buy them and neglect to do routine maintenance and do mods instead.The cars go to hell from there. I have a 92 TSI with some mods with a stock turbo and I am pretty happy. There are a few things wrong but I cant complain. The weakest link in my opinion is the transmissions. I blew two out so far in two cars.
An AWD dsm with a 16g is a pretty good car.If you get one make sure you take care of exhaust and fuel before putting a larger turbo on.Let me know if you have any questions
Old 11-20-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think they get a bad wrap at all there is always some little stupid problem with them. Yes the motors are great but always some little stupid problem.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies. I have a few friends with DSM's, one of them is very into the scene and has owned (and blown up) several, both 1 and 2g's. The one trait I noticed on the ones he's blown up was that at the time he really didn't know what he was doing fully. You know how it is, the only thing more dangerous than someone who doesn't know what they're doing is is someone who doesn't know what they're doing but thinks they do He tossed a motor in his 2g by turning the boost up to 22psi on the stock fuel system. I think it went on the first pass. But like most people you learn from your mistakes and get better. He's currently building a 1g full race car that should turn low 10's or possibly 9's with some spray.

Turbo's can be funny things. They're an extremely reliable, efficient, and safe way to boost power, but you have to know your limits. I'd bet if LS1's came with turbo's there would be a lot more stories about blown up LS1's.

The drivelines are definately the weak link, but again, part of that is knowing your limits. Sure an AWD car can hook on a 6k launch with a good clutch, but if you don't want to break it, don't do that, just like you wouldn't launch a 6sp LS1 at 6k on the stock rear if you were worried about it.

I guess my point is the cars get a bad rap more because people mod and drive them beyond the cars capapabilty, which can happen to any car.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said people love to turn up the boost right away. I know quite a few people who run more boost with no other mods. Its rediculous. But a well built dsm is a very potent combo. A buddy of mine has a 2g that put 730 hp to the wheels in a GS. Thats pretty stout for a 4 banger. Not to mention a single cam N/A motor with a turbo.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Teching In

I've been looking for a 1G DSM too. It's tough to find one with under 100K and no mods. I figure a car has likely been driven hard if it's modded. I might end up settling for an S-10 Blazer, Explorer or Jeep for my winter beater since the snow is about to hit any day now.