Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cermic coating necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cermic coating necessary?

I'm getting ready to get some pacesseter lt's for my 2000 z28. its not my daily driver so it hardley ever sees rain and since im in texas ill never have to worry about snow or any low temps really. in average, how long and how well will these fit/work/last/etc. and is the black paint good enough? i know you can buy some 1200 degree black spray paint, would that help? thanks guys.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think there is a few threads going on now with this same ?
BTW Go stainless
Old 11-20-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would if wasnt nice and tight on money but back to the orginal question?!!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:54 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coatin keeps underhood temps down A LOT!!!! Your better of gettin them coated the first time, or if you do have some bread look into some Kooks. If you ever notice on stock manifolds how it takes them forever to cool down, well with coated you can run for and 1hr an come back and your headers wont burn the **** out of your hands.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The answer is no, you dont' have to have them coated to protect from corrosion. They'll last for lots of years without. I live in Seattle and my car is daily driven--two years without any serious corrosion. The headers stay hot enough that they don't sit around wet.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
The answer is no, you dont' have to have them coated to protect from corrosion. They'll last for lots of years without. I live in Seattle and my car is daily driven--two years without any serious corrosion. The headers stay hot enough that they don't sit around wet.

Thats kind of funny. Headers do stay hot, but its just that, their temp draws moisture from around them during the cooldown. Just like when you 1st start your car, the drips of water that condensation, flying out the tips. Get the coated ones and dont worry about the corrosion or the under hoo temps, not to mention the advantage of the exhaust staying hot in the pipes (not outside) helps scavenge from the cylinders.