Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake install help needed ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS6 intake install help needed ...

Helping a friend intall an LS6 intake in his A4 '00 ss. We got all 10 of the bolts loose, that connect the intake to the engine.

We had to leave the back 4 bolts in (just loose), 2 on each side.

Now, we have to pull the ls1 intake up and out, but are having a problem with the back bolt, passenger side, because it hits the tube labeled trans/lock.

The bolt won't go up/out enough for us to lift and pull the intake manifold out. We get the driver's side up and sliding out, but not the other side.

In summary, we need to know how you A4 guys get the darn thing out! Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
hope this helps
Old 11-20-2005, 03:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm not sure about the A4 setup. but when i pull my intake off i usually pull the back 4 bolts up just enough then fold a peice of tape around them so they don't fall down. this way you don't have to hold them while pulling the intake out. makes my life a lot easier.

and remember to watch out for the oil pressure sensor when pulling the intake off. the vacume hose that goes to the master cylinder loves to snag the sensor and break it off.

good luck
Old 11-20-2005, 03:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HartAttack
yeah, we were following those. but they don't have an A4

As for the tape idea ... we did that for 3 of the back 4 bolts, but that pesky last bolt hitting the trans/lock tube sucks!!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

theres got to be some A4 guys woth some imput on here
Old 11-20-2005, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

all i did WAS VERY EASILY turn the tube to one side or the other to get the bolt out.trying not to kink the tube. torquing down the bolt was a different story. the way i did the torque (without a torque wrench) was to get a feel on how the other bolts were torqued with a torque wrench. there should be only one small bolt holding that tube in place.that bolt should be somewhere high near the head.but you shouldn't have to loosen it. if you take a little TLC you should have no ploblem, moving the tube.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

I did mine but the the transdipstick wasnt the problem. The plastic stuff on the front by the windshield wiper was blocking the way had to manuever up and down and pulled it out while a buddy pulled up on the plastic thing a little. But if you wanna remove the transdipstick on the passenger side back of the head you can get to the bolt connecting the head its held by a 15mm bolt its hard to get that bolt from the top I took it out from the bottom and then you should get a little bit of play to move it around.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the help guys, after we moved that sucker out of the way it was relatively easy, lol yea right.