Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&W racecars roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default S&W racecars roll bar

Does any body have s&w race cars 6pt roll bar installed in theier car with pics.
I would like to see them. Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

I'm also interested, good price too.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

I have a S&W 10 point Cro-moly in my car(really in the end a "Stout-Devore Custom" Cage).......took a custom halo to be bent sent me wrong tubing then they had to resend it to me in cro-moly, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, and a POOR quality 4th gen product my Cage was installed by a person that has always used SW kits when not doing something completely custom and he was VERY UNHAPPY with the fit of the 4th Gen 10point, cage ended up being almost 900 by the time it was said and done. They may have lost a lot of business locally (here) because of it.

My opinion but buyer beware

Andrew Begyn
Old 11-23-2005, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

I have their 8 point mild steel... Not bad fit... Had to do some custom work to it...
Make sure you either bend the door bars a little bit(Like Wolfe does) or angle them in a little bit to make sure they clear the arm rests...
For the price you can't beat it, but remember you get what you pay for...

Old 11-23-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm what is the price? and how much more custom fabbing was needed? was the custom fabbing needed due to the cage being cut and bent incorrectly?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Custom fabbing is required because they do not pre notch the bars. They leave them a little long and have to cut/fish mouth the bars. Not hard just a little time consuming.

I had GREAT customer service from them. I ordered a cage for my RX7 and they called me the next day to come get it (They bend to order so there is nothing "on the shelf"). They are right outside of Philly and I swung by and got it. Good people from my experience.

Mike
Old 11-23-2005, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1118

This is where I got mine from...
It came pre-notched which is a great feature...
Spend the extra and get the chromoly... my mild steel is heavy as hell!!

The fabbing was for the mounting plates they only sent four, and six were needed... And there was some trimming that had to be done for the bars but nothing bad...
The worst part is getting the doors to shut properly with straight door bars...

If you dont want to spend the money for Wolfe... this is the best deal IMO... the bends are great(again with the exception of the door bars)
Old 11-23-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any body have any pics of their roll bar with the swing outs? Thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

nice cage man how much does it weight?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

The Custom Fabbing on my cage was more of a NHRA legality issue more than anything, with someone of 6' height, or to have a higher seating position. S+W wants you to mount the Main Hoop way forward in the car so the "halo" is far enough to the front of the car, well if you taller you have to have the seat for enough back to give you room then your head with helmet is way to close to the Hoop. While also looking really stupid having the bar so far forward. But more than anything unsafe, So what they would have you do is to mount the Hoop farther back, but the halo is then not long enough and the front of your helment would almost be touching the halo, so its a curse either way (if you saw the halo tack'd in to the car, you would see what we are talking about. It barely makes it past the t-tops not even to the front of the headliner/visor area) So what we did was have them custom bend a halo that was about 3" longer and also had them put a Custom bend in the halo to bring it closer to the outside of the car (it was a upward and outward bend) at that point is when the poor business policies and worse customer service occured.

1 bad LS1 do you have a cage? or roll bar? or problems occured with because it was a Roll Cage, My best friend has a S+W Roll bar in his Super Chevy Winning 3rd gen, installed by the same person and loves it, very nice bar in my opinion.

Wish i had some hosting for my cage pics.

Andy
Old 11-28-2005, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1 ANDY
1 bad LS1 do you have a cage? or roll bar? or problems occured with because it was a Roll Cage, My best friend has a S+W Roll bar in his Super Chevy Winning 3rd gen, installed by the same person and loves it, very nice bar in my opinion.

Wish i had some hosting for my cage pics.

Andy
I have the roll bar... But I understand what you are saying about the driver height... I sit really low in the car to make it legal, but I dont mind to much... I think my only complaint is the door bars... it is still a bitch to get them to shut properly... I am just going to get the wolfe door panels and they will clear the bars fine...

Go to www.imageshack.us for free image hosting...
Old 11-28-2005, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Very good thread fellaz, I'm in the market for a 6 point also. And I have a freind at a fab shop that deals with s&w. I think it would be a great idea to get longer door bars and just have them custom bent to clear the doors. Like low bends, Is that NHRA legal?

Are the swing out door bars NHRA legal? I would not want to have to climb over the door bars all the time. What a PITA.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Climbing over the bars is not as bad as one might think... You get used to it...

However, I do believe they are legal... but don't quote me on that.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMDLS1
Does any body have s&w race cars 6pt roll bar installed in theier car with pics.
I would like to see them. Thanks
I have just fitted 10pt ch/moly and had to mod the door bars and rebend the hoop to suit fixed race seat(6'tall) we also took the rear bars down into the far rear not onto the panel above the gas tank. Also left off passenger door bar for emergency exit. All in all it was still value for money compared to buying a custom built cage over here in UK which work out approx $180 a point in cm.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Yeah the door issue does kinda suck since i have a drag car we just ground the crap out of where it hits the door then you can add some vinlyl and it looks ok. The biggest issue we delt with is S+W's customer service and our salesman Stokes i believe his name was. The guy who installs our cages actually usually deals with the owner but.....Its done now

I believe as long as they go over your shoulder they are legal but im not sure on that?

Andy
Old 12-02-2005, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Couple pics of some great work by my Associates+ Friends

Quick Reply: S&W racecars roll bar