Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not port a ZO6 MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why not port a ZO6 MAF?

I just bought an '01 ZO6 MAF off of Ebay and I really can't see the big deal as compared to a ported stock MAF. On my stock MAF I ported the ends ALOT and cut out the aluminum center bar and also trimmed the center plastic bar on the sensor itself. I have done this on several of my cars and they have always performed flawlessly. Now, looking at the ZO6 MAF, the inlet is large but it seems to neck down at the outlet. Also, I can't see where it will gain much over a fully ported stock MAF with that big honkin bar in the center. Seems to me any gain from the overall diameter increase will be offset by the divider? So I was thinking, why not cut the divider out just like on ported stock ends? You can clearly see where the sensor element is in the divider and trim around it. Has anyone done this? Did it help or hurt? Will I be the first? Thanks,

Larry
Old 11-24-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all, all that stuff inside the MAF is there to create laminar flow, taking that out will dick around with the airflow now. you say it was flawless? did you hook up a wideband and verify that? chances that the MAF is a restriction is very small. if you still have LS1/6 intake, then the opening is only 78mm so a TB that is 1000 mm wont do **** so its really pointless, still have to go through the smallest opening. messing with the MAF is asking for trouble IMO.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for your reply. No, I am not running an LS6 manifold or a stock style TB. When I saw flawless I mean faster than other cars with the same mods, no problems with kr, etc. I understand why everything is inside the MAF, but *I* have ALWAYS run faster with a completely ported MAF. How long did people say not to descreen a MAF? Then GM decides to descreen MAFs on LS6s. I guess nothing works until GM says so first? Not trying to bust your *****, just making a point about assumptions. So, anyone with first hand experience?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

the z06 maf is descreened becuase for one it is a larger diameter and 2 the inlet track is slightly different from the fbodies, based on that info, the separation of the boundary layers changes which also changes how and when airflow becomes turbulant. which is why the flow straitener (screen) is not on the ls6 MAF. of course it will be faster on some cars, the maf readings are all screwed up now, leaning the mixture out up top which will make more power. do this on a car that is tuned to ideal AFR and you will have problems up top and through the power band
Old 11-24-2005, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I know. What I really want to know is if anyone has seen a power increase going to an 85mm over a max ported stock maf? I just don't see where the 85 has much more area with the flow divider still intact. Regardless of the direction this post goes I am going to try it. I'll most likely end up tuning it in SD mode anyhow. I really do appreciate your input.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok got ya, everyone i have seen with a gutted stock one has made no more or less power than one from an ls6. its possible but i have yet to see it. like you said, its not much more and with the stock TB and gutted stock maf, you have just about took out any restriction the maf may have had.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

WS6FirebirdTA00,
What you have described sounds logical. I just haven't experienced those issues after porting the MAF. Porting the MAF resulted in an increase in intake air flow & the ECU or PCM adjusted the fueling for the increased flow through WOT. So, in my case it was OK. Porting a MAF even larger than a smaller intake/TB can also be beneficial in reducing the pressure drop on the intake side. So long as the MAF can record the increse in air flow, the ECU should adjust to it. My A/F ratio @ WOT was 12.8-12.9 before & after porting. Took some time to adjust & I should mention that there was enough capacity in the aftermarket injectors & fuel pump to handle the increase.

I don't know about the screen straightening out turbulant flow thing either. The screen is a restriction in my opinion; no more no less. Kinda has the same effect as a turbonator. It restricts flow to improve gas mileage, IMO. Took the screen out of my Buick Rendevous & lost .2 MPG & the car feels as bit stronger (more air/more fuel).

This is just an opinion based on what I have experienced.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Contrary to popular belief, the MAF is a precision instrument. Descreening, porting, and otherwise molesting the MAF makes it inaccurate. If you experience a gain from the inaccuracy, great! Not everybody shares that experience.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 11-25-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have my stock maf ported but i was thinking just get a zo6 maf because im one of the lucky ones that when u port out ur maf i get knock ,so i just figure get a 85 mm maf or if i tune my stock maf will i seea better gain?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

tune the 85mm or put a stock one on there, totally stock. taht will be your best gains