Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer can easly be changed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Odometer can easly be changed

Ok, I am looking at 2000 Camaro SS with 20K miles on it for $13K. Too good to be true? Probably. But wait, there's more.

I am being told by the GM dealership that the computer has been swapped out. I am waiting to talk to the tech for confirmation to see if it has just been reprogrammed. In any event I did some digging around and found how easy it is to reprogram the digital odometer in ODBII cars.

So my question is, is there ever a legitimate reason to replace the computer on a Camaro and if so wouldn't that car get the milage that the car the computer was taken from had?

TIA
Old 11-25-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if it was bad, no, they can reflash the new VCM with the old info
Old 11-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Ok, have you ever heard of a computer going bad on a OBDII Camaro?

The title report isn't much help either, it shows 12 miles in 2000 and then 9139 in 2005, then second owner brought it to ~20K.

I figured I am going to have to go based on wear if its actual miles. One thing I thought to check for is if it still has the OEM tires and if they look like they have 20K miles wear on them. Any thing else?

Would you buy it?

TIA
Old 11-25-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, as long as everything else looks good and they're no signs of misuse or abuse, i wouldnt think twice about it
Old 11-25-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Changing the computer will not change the miles...the mile calculation is stored in the gauge cluster itself...you would have to swap out the gauge cluster or send it in to be recalibrated...
Old 11-25-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Changing the computer will not change the miles...the mile calculation is stored in the gauge cluster itself...you would have to swap out the gauge cluster or send it in to be recalibrated...
^^^^Exactly. When i ran with the comp. out of an 01 SS for a while while mine was getting tuned it didnt change my mileage.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is stored in the BCM and the Cluster, however, even with a tech 2, i was never able to figure out how to tell the milage in the bcm.

Both my cluster and BCM were replaced under warranty at different times, so I wanted to verify the milage, but have never figured out how to, any help is appreciated. I have access to a tech 2 and any cards needed.

Ryan
Old 11-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Turns out when I talked to the Sales Manager the car was not for sale. He did not feel comfortable about selling it so he going to wholesale it at the dealers auction.

This experience has really opened my eyes to how easy it is to reprogram a digital odometer and how prevalent odometer fraud is. I found a few companies that sell professional equipment that talks through the standard ODBII port for several thousand grand, and then there's guys like these http://www.prospeedo.com that will do it for the unconscionable rip-off artist on a budget.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

If you OD is off because you were forced to replace it, can the dealer fix the milage? Where [specific place] would you have to send it, otherwise?

I am not trying to roll back 30,000 miles or something or something stupid.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

My understanding is only a virgin 0000000 cluster can have the milage programmed by a normal GM dealer, it pulls the info from the BCM.

Ryan
Old 11-27-2005, 06:41 PM
wrencher

Have replaced BCM's no milage change. It was my understanding that the cluster was the one that kept track of VSS pulses/milage.
When we needed to replace a cluster (dealer) they are sent out to a rebuilder. There are many all over the country. They have the equiptment to reprogram/rebuild clusters. Not a dealer shop.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

The mileage is tored in the cluster and you have to (to a reputable speedo anyway) give a good deal of documentation to get the cluster reprogrammed.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrencher
Have replaced BCM's no milage change. It was my understanding that the cluster was the one that kept track of VSS pulses/milage.
When we needed to replace a cluster (dealer) they are sent out to a rebuilder. There are many all over the country. They have the equiptment to reprogram/rebuild clusters. Not a dealer shop.

this is 100% correct
Old 11-27-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Would the rider certificate and the fact that it was not able to be driven since the ummmmmm.... be enough?

What constitutes as documentation?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Very few brands of cars hold the mileage into other moduals other than the cluster.

Camaros and most gm vehicles dont store the mileage in anything but the dash.

Hell, you can just pull the dash fuse and it stops the odometer..
Its up to you to really determine if mileage is correct on anything.

Those kits you speak up do require the dash to be taken apart, and, if you think it has been tampered with, the cluster will have the soldermarks on the back of the eprom board from where they had to connect wires to read and write the new information.

Quick Reply: Odometer can easly be changed