Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions

Hey guys this is my first post and Im looking for some help. I am going to be buying a 98 or newer trans am with a 6 speed in the summer. But basically here is what I plan on doing. since I am on a budget I am going to either buy a high mileage car, or one with a blown motor. I would like to start building a motor for the car fairly soon. I am going to have a turbo, but I am not sure what yet any suggestions. I want to build a motor to handle boost, and be capable of high hp. 600+ to the wheels. I want something that will be streetable and wicked fast. I plan on building the motor my self. What would be the best combo for me. Thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know... STS rear-mount turbos seem to be the budget way to go... but there is really no cheap FI setup available! How much are you trying to spend?!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
7 Second Club

for the motor be prepared to spend atleast $6000... 6k is really cheap...
for the FI kit be prepared to spend atleast $7k.... for the fueling of this mean machine be prepared to spend $2500...

budget and FI dont go together.

with 600+rwhp you're going to need a good drivetrain- tranny,driveshaft, and rearend...

tranny= 1500+
driveshaft= 250+
12bolt or 9'= 2200+

as you can see $15,000 will go very fast.

I've had my car a little over a year and already dumped well over $14,000 in it... and havent even got to the new motor, fuel system and super charger yet

if you want a budget go N20.

just be prepared to spend some big bucks for FI.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
for the motor be prepared to spend atleast $6000... 6k is really cheap...
for the FI kit be prepared to spend atleast $7k.... for the fueling of this mean machine be prepared to spend $2500...

budget and FI dont go together.

with 600+rwhp you're going to need a good drivetrain- tranny,driveshaft, and rearend...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/newreply....ply&p=3858081#

tranny= 1500+
driveshaft= 250+
12bolt or 9'= 2200+

as you can see $15,000 will go very fast.

I've had my car a little over a year and already dumped well over $14,000 in it... and havent even got to the new motor, fuel system and super charger yet

if you want a budget go N20.

just be prepared to spend some big bucks for FI.
Very true. You are going to need a good drivetrain to handle the 600+ motor you are wanting to build. Your 10 bolt won't stand a chance along with that stock aluminum driveshaft. Things will go boom.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're trying to stay on a budget, shoot for a little less power or be prepared to shell out some major cash. Price increases exponentially with horsepower.... shooting for around 500rwhp will cut your costs in half (as opposed to 600rwhp.)
Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an engine combo that works very well.

Callies Racemaster stroker crankshaft, making the engine a 382ci.
Callies Compstar connecting rods
Diamond forged pistons
Comp cam
Comp timing chain
Comp pushrods
New oil pump
ARP head studs

The stock crankshaft has been shown to be able to handle 900 to 1000 hp, so you could keep the stock crank, meaning the cubic inch would be kept at 346ci. With keeping the stock crank, we can pull your engine out, have all machine work and balancing done, rebuild it with parts listed above, reinstall your stock heads, or heads of your choice for an additional cost, reinstall the engine and tune it for $4,500.00. Bob
Old 11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Teching In

That sounds pretty good. What compression is that motor. How long does something like that take for you guys to do. I don't have a car yet but I have a few that I am looking at. When I get the car it will not stay stock. I am hoping to have something built and running by next march or april. My buddy and I just finished building a vortec supercharged 468 for his nova and now it is time to for me to get something fast. Can I get some opinions on turbos and has anybody fabbed up a front mount single that has worked well. Thanks Chad
Old 11-29-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We have an engine combo that works very well.

Callies Racemaster stroker crankshaft, making the engine a 382ci.
Callies Compstar connecting rods
Diamond forged pistons
Comp cam
Comp timing chain
Comp pushrods
New oil pump
ARP head studs

The stock crankshaft has been shown to be able to handle 900 to 1000 hp, so you could keep the stock crank, meaning the cubic inch would be kept at 346ci. With keeping the stock crank, we can pull your engine out, have all machine work and balancing done, rebuild it with parts listed above, reinstall your stock heads, or heads of your choice for an additional cost, reinstall the engine and tune it for $4,500.00. Bob
Bob, what kind of power does this setup make? Where are you located?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:48 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by RaRe99SS
Bob, what kind of power does this setup make? Where are you located?
We are located just outside of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Halfway between Indy and Chicago on Hwy 30. We have made 790 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno, with this kit with the stock crank on a Corvette that we installed twin turbos on. Bob
Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by thedieselkid
That sounds pretty good. What compression is that motor. How long does something like that take for you guys to do. I don't have a car yet but I have a few that I am looking at. When I get the car it will not stay stock. I am hoping to have something built and running by next march or april. My buddy and I just finished building a vortec supercharged 468 for his nova and now it is time to for me to get something fast. Can I get some opinions on turbos and has anybody fabbed up a front mount single that has worked well. Thanks Chad
9.0 to 9.5/1 is what we normally build these engines for when using an ATI ProCharger. It will normally take two to three weeks for a complete turn around from when you drop the car off, to when it is done and tuned. Bob