Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Removal way to avoid cleaning bolt holes

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Head Removal way to avoid cleaning bolt holes

Going to do a H/C swap. I understand that cleaning the head bolt holes is a no fun but a must do. Going to install ARP studs as well.

Here is the idea that came to me,while removing the head bolts. If a stud(stud only) was installed one at a time, in place of the bolt that was removed, would this be a safe way to avoid any contamination to the holes, prior to lifting the head.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Pointless as you will still need to clean out the sealant remains in the holes trapped in the threads.
I suck the water with a wet vac and a home made tube contraption, then I use a gun cleaning kit to clean the threads.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On each side of the block there are drain plugs. The one on the driver side is a big allen key, I think its a #17mm. The one on the pass side is smaller. Take both out and let the coolant drain. I did this when installing my studs and had verry little water in the bolt holes and in the cylinders.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take the stock TTY bolts and grind a groove into them as seen here
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2
This makes short work of cleaning the threads out.

to get the coolant out of the holes, I used a bunch of paper towels and a shop vac.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

i vote for shop vac with a drinking straw duct taped to the end of it followed by a "grooved out bolt" like above and then hit it with rolled up paper towels
Old 11-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the groved bolt to clean the threads.

For the water, I took and made an attachment that worked with the compressor out of metal brake line welded to an air blowing end.

Blew the water out. Ran the bolt down a few times each hole. Blow it out again.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good advice. Predator, what caliber brush do you use?

Don't they use alot of 7.62 in your parts?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Going to do a H/C swap. I understand that cleaning the head bolt holes is a no fun but a must do. Going to install ARP studs as well.

Here is the idea that came to me,while removing the head bolts. If a stud(stud only) was installed one at a time, in place of the bolt that was removed, would this be a safe way to avoid any contamination to the holes, prior to lifting the head.
I am also about to install my heads using ARP studs. I think your basic idea is still good- replace each bolt (one at a time, as you mentioned) with a stud and then lightly tighten a nut down on each stud. When all the bolts have been replaced with studs/nuts, remove the nuts from the studs and pull the heads. After cleaning up the colant, pull each stud and clean each hole. Wouldn't this equal easier cleanup? I've never done heads before so I am probably missing something.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Drain all the coolant, and take out the freeze plug in the pass side, and the coolant temp sensor in the driver's side. That should drain alot of the coolant from the heads. Then when removing the heads, loosen up all of the bolts just enough to lift the head from the block, without removing them. Then lift the head while the bolts are still threaded and let the coolant drain out. These steps should keep most of the coolant out of the bolt holes.

I used a can of compressed air, a grooved stock bolt, and threaded paper towels down into the hole to clean them out after removing the head.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great tip. I think I'll be taking that route.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
I am also about to install my heads using ARP studs. I think your basic idea is still good- replace each bolt (one at a time, as you mentioned) with a stud and then lightly tighten a nut down on each stud. When all the bolts have been replaced with studs/nuts, remove the nuts from the studs and pull the heads. After cleaning up the colant, pull each stud and clean each hole. Wouldn't this equal easier cleanup? I've never done heads before so I am probably missing something.

by R&Ring the bolts and replacing them with studs, you run the risk of warping the heads. There is a torque sequence to follow when you remove and install heads
Old 11-29-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Another vote for the removal of the freeze plugs. A little more work up front but a lot less work cleaning up the mess. You still need to clean the holes but it's a lot easier and less mess to clean this way. Here's an old link with pics and wrench sizes for the freeze plugs.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/335413-afr-s-fast-90-nw-90tb-poly-mounts-fast-rails-finally-done.html
Old 11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
by R&Ring the bolts and replacing them with studs, you run the risk of warping the heads. There is a torque sequence to follow when you remove and install heads
Thanks, but I certainly wouldn't torque the nuts on at this point (just trying to keep the heads from lifting before all the studs were in place). Besides, the original heads haven't even been removed at this point. Sorry I wasn't clear. Besides, I like NHRATA01's idea.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

regardless of how you drain the fliud you need to chase the holes to remove old thread-lock, using the above home made chaser works fine.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
TAQuickness, are you saying that the studs cannot be torqued in sequence?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AnnapolisSilverado
TAQuickness, are you saying that the studs cannot be torqued in sequence?
nothing of the sort.

I'm saying if you don't follow the sequence, you stand a chance of warping your heads. would have been more clear to say removing one bolt at a time and replacing with studs with out following the proper sequence will cause warpage
Old 11-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

you're welcome