Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tint on the DOT Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint on the DOT Matrix

I bet a lot of f-bodies have this. The tint where the defroster dots are on the hatch have air bubbles between them and the tint. the tint wont suck down over them very well. I had heard once that some places put a piece of fabric there or something. Any pics of this or write-ups on how to cut that part of tint out and "black" that part out. I would like it to look uniformly black from the outside of the car and not see a big air bubble.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Vinyl get sheet of vinyl like some cars use for the banners on the winshield get it in black and have it put on the inside top of the rear window. This is the way i have always heard of it being done
Old 11-30-2005, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

i've heard of sanding, painting, glueing the tint, and also the vinyl which might be the safest way.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't go the sanding route. All the tint shop did with mine was cut a piece of black vinyl to somewhat of a half moon shape for the entire area of dots and just glued it on with their adhesive. The vinyl is more plyable meaning it will conform to the dot matrix area much better. No problems with bubbling or anything on mine.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

All you have to do is use glass primer (black). It comes in a little bottle with a swab brush on it. Put tape just below the dots, and swipe it once or twice across. Peel the tape off and you now have a smooth line to tint up to. If you close your hatch, you cannot even tell there are dots there anymore. Really quite simple. The only place I have been able to find it is at a local auto glass store, but it works great. My only question would be, does vinyl still add horsepower if it does not stand out?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Black vinyl is by far the easiest, and you won't have to modify anything.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

My tint guy did black vinyl over the dots, then applied 5% limo tint to the rest of the glass on the hatch. From outside, you can't tell the difference between the vinyl and the tint.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Local guy near me painted the area with some flat black paint so it matches from the inside. You can't tell at all from the outside and can barely tell looking at the inside. I'm planning to get mine tinted in the spring.

Quick Reply: Tint on the DOT Matrix