Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recommended STREET LEGAL exhaust combo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default recommended STREET LEGAL exhaust combo?

I was coming onto the highway a couple days ago, and I was following a Mustang Cobra with obvious exhaust work done. It was LOUD and it sounded SWEET. But, I immediately got jealous because my 5.7L should sound A LOT better than a 5.0L. So, I'd like to get my entire exhaust all done out. However, I live in NJ where inspection is strict. So, what would be a recommended exhaust layout for my '97 LT1 WS6? LT's are out of the question because of emissions. Also, I can't run open pipes because of inspection. I definitely want a LOUD exhaust though, so people can hear me on the highway with their music on, just as I heard that Cobra. What headers/Y-pipes/cats/resonators/mufflers would be most favorable? I don't want this car failing inspection, but I definitely want it loud enough so people glance in my direction. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdm1234
I was coming onto the highway a couple days ago, and I was following a Mustang Cobra with obvious exhaust work done. It was LOUD and it sounded SWEET. But, I immediately got jealous because my 5.7L should sound A LOT better than a 5.0L. So, I'd like to get my entire exhaust all done out. However, I live in NJ where inspection is strict. So, what would be a recommended exhaust layout for my '97 LT1 WS6? LT's are out of the question because of emissions. Also, I can't run open pipes because of inspection. I definitely want a LOUD exhaust though, so people can hear me on the highway with their music on, just as I heard that Cobra. What headers/Y-pipes/cats/resonators/mufflers would be most favorable? I don't want this car failing inspection, but I definitely want it loud enough so people glance in my direction. Thanks in advance everyone.
i was under the impression you just needed cats in NJ to pass. They do ob2 testing..so if you don't have codes and pass the visual..your good to go.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP 2OTL, high flow cats, and cutout
Old 12-03-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

They put it through a decibal test for noise pollution, so that's why I can't run open or even cutouts. The way I see it is, if the Cobra passed, then I can too. All I need is a good exhaust combination to use that's loud, but with a muscle tone... not one that sounds like an exhaust leak or just open pipes.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

They put it through a decibal test for noise pollution, so that's why I can't run open or even cutouts. The way I see it is, if the Cobra passed, then I can too. All I need is a good exhaust combination to use that's loud, but with a muscle tone... not one that sounds like an exhaust leak or just open pipes.
two things...I go to the local testing place and ask them if cutouts are okay...they may be if you keep hem closed...but they'd probably have to be manual cutouts.

also...that cobra could have just bought a inspection sticker or did the stuff after inspection.

lt headers with a nice catback may pass the sound requirements and also, are you sure they test the decibles of the exhaust? unless they changed it recently..they never did for me...but that was 2-3 years ago.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

I agree our LS1's should sound better then a 5.0 but it seems like every damn mustang just sounds so good even at cruising and roll on speeds. I don't think you can beat the LS1's at WOT, IMO though. Thanks

Chris
Old 12-03-2005, 11:42 PM
hashtagBMW

Get LTs, And XPIPE and then some QTP elec. Cutouts, for that special moment when you need it loud. Or when emissions comes around.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

LTs dont have O2 sensor hole, so where do O2 sensors go?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Teching In

whats the deal with gm performance parts? mins is great!!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

LTs dont have O2 sensor hole, so where do O2 sensors go?
i don't see why they wouldn't cause every car needs to run 02 sensors.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i asked the same question, i was told to try gmmg catback exhaust.if you listen to the stickies at the top you can pick out something. as far as being tested for decibels in nj ive never been tested. but if your that worried about noise,before going thru pull over and stuff your outlet's. or try a private shop.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i live in a highly inspected state also...and i have LT's, Cated Y, and Loudmouth and have never had anything said to me
Old 12-04-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have to put these O2 sensors somewhere... where would i put them if LTs dont have holes? I don't feel like cutting for a bung either.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put fake cats on, o2 sims, true dual exhaust, with Bullet mufflers dumped before the rear axle, hangs low but you will definitly be very loud.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

o i forgot and either flp qtp or kooks headers
Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

go with a set of long tubes and a y-pipe with cats, hooked up to a good exhaust. If you are worried about decibles, then put your stock cat back on before testing. you will be fine
Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

i have to put these O2 sensors somewhere... where would i put them if LTs dont have holes? I don't feel like cutting for a bung either.
almost all LTs have bungs for o2 sensors, just for the front.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i understand in new jersey,(i live in north jersey) long tube headers are not emissions legal. another strike is moving the cats from the factory location. if you use 02sims or have them tuned out of the computer you still will not pass inspection, although the SES light is not on, the computer reads rear 02s not ready. which means they are just non existant to the computer. with your 97lt1, you are only allowed to have 1 not ready out of your 2 rear 02 sensors. there is no way around it. and another thing is, mobile inspections. if you get pulled over by the mobile inspections van, you will get a ticket for your loud exhaust, so be careful with that. if you get pulled over without cats, im pretty sure the fine in NJ is $10,000 a cat. this may be the max. fine, but it is true. my suggestion is to get the car inspected then get a loudmouth system for it. a few buddys of mine had lt1s with the loudmouth and it sounded good on the iron lt1. and before you put headers on, keep in mind they are not as easy as the ls1 install, most people dont do the lt1 header install at home.

and by the way, i just took my headers off this week to go back to stock so i can pass inspection. it wasnt worth it.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

CATBACK SYSTEM...Have exhaust shop make you a Y pipe and do the loudmouth gmmg, hooker, magnahoe or borla etc...I wouldnt go longtubes too much cost involved and headaches
Old 12-05-2005, 06:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by elite22xl
from what i understand in new jersey,(i live in north jersey) long tube headers are not emissions legal. another strike is moving the cats from the factory location. if you use 02sims or have them tuned out of the computer you still will not pass inspection, although the SES light is not on, the computer reads rear 02s not ready. which means they are just non existant to the computer. with your 97lt1, you are only allowed to have 1 not ready out of your 2 rear 02 sensors. there is no way around it. and another thing is, mobile inspections. if you get pulled over by the mobile inspections van, you will get a ticket for your loud exhaust, so be careful with that. if you get pulled over without cats, im pretty sure the fine in NJ is $10,000 a cat. this may be the max. fine, but it is true. my suggestion is to get the car inspected then get a loudmouth system for it. a few buddys of mine had lt1s with the loudmouth and it sounded good on the iron lt1. and before you put headers on, keep in mind they are not as easy as the ls1 install, most people dont do the lt1 header install at home.

and by the way, i just took my headers off this week to go back to stock so i can pass inspection. it wasnt worth it.

this is not true. 02 sims do not show "not ready" they simulate the process a real working rear 02 sensor does. if you just unplugged the sensor, and tuned it out by deleting the code(incorrectly), then the "not ready" would come on in the computer. the entire idea of a 02 sim is to "simulate".

suggestion....
use stock y-pipe, gut cats, and put on a hooker catback and a cutout. done.

Last edited by tim99ws6; 12-05-2005 at 06:16 PM.