Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

1/4 mile track outside of Palm Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1/4 mile track outside of Palm Springs

Hey, just checking on the interest in setting up a 1/4 miles track on a piece of private property outside of Palm Springs?

I put this out there for anyone because if I set it up, I don't see it as a money-making venture, so I don't mind someone nicking it. I already own the land and its paid for, so might as well put it to some use for the time being.

If anyone knows of the legal repurcussions, please PM or email me. It would be appreciated and not forgotten. Where I come from, favors are returned.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds like a good idea
Old 12-04-2005, 05:40 AM
Teching In

with the demise or dead stall of banning it souds like a damn good idea......and heres something for ya.....if your serious I'm and architect.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's good info.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

and yes, serious as a heart attack. My biggest concern is the legality, both for me and for the participants.

It would do no good if police were allowed to break it up even though its on private property. I don't know if it would still be considered "illegal" if the races are held on private property.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah you would def. have to look into the insurance part of it. If you get permits and such from the city and talk to them, I would like to see how this comes along. If you need any help out here let me know.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Please do this....You will be swamped with Fbods and I'll be a regular when I'm not out of the country.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can race on your own property as long as you don't make it into a public event....
but if we are racing and someone gets hurt on your property... then you are liable....
the only thing that I can think of is drawing up some kind of legal waiver ( at your own risk type thing)
Old 12-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Teching In

you have to hae participants sign a release waiver....the NHRA has you do this anytime you race. the participants must have a minimu of $8000 in health insurance. if you are going to hold orginized events you must have a ambulance on site and i think they are like 1500 a day. if you are out of the city limits then the municipality cannot interfere. the only reason the CHP can patroll the toll roads is because they ahve a contractual agreement with the road owners. the toll roads in so cal are privately owned. and naturally you will have to have a certian amount of liability insurance for the facility, i imagine a $1million dolar writer
Old 12-04-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Hell I'd go if it didn't get roudy... shouldn't... so yah... just draw up something that basically says 'If you fug up, it's your @$$, not mine'...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BowtieBear
you have to hae participants sign a release waiver....the NHRA has you do this anytime you race. the participants must have a minimu of $8000 in health insurance. if you are going to hold orginized events you must have a ambulance on site and i think they are like 1500 a day. if you are out of the city limits then the municipality cannot interfere. the only reason the CHP can patroll the toll roads is because they ahve a contractual agreement with the road owners. the toll roads in so cal are privately owned. and naturally you will have to have a certian amount of liability insurance for the facility, i imagine a $1million dolar writer
Regarding the toll roads...the entity that constructed the tolls had a type of lease agreement with the property, and the ownership of the roadway reverts to the State within a stipulated timeframe. Almost all the toll roads constructed in the early 90's have become State owned now, although the revenue management is still performed by a private company.

With regard to the track, you're going to need to consult an attorney, because the potential liability is incredible and you're going to want to defer the risk away from your personal assets. Also, to set up a track you're going to need to check if it is an allowable use of the land (i.e. conformance with the General and Specific Plans of the area), and if it requires a conditional use permit (very likely). The application and approval process for this could take months.

As for insurance, you'll need to have a business plan, with a complete risk analysis performed before someone will even consider underwriting a policy. For any surety, the proposal is going to have to be legit, with real dollars/assets backing it up, and it ain't going to be cheap.

There are a million other things that go along with this, but these are the few thoughts I had...

BowtieBear: are you a licensed architect now? If you are, you know why I ask...if you're not, you should probably find out why I ask.

Last edited by SS MPSTR; 12-04-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Hell I'd go if it didn't get roudy... shouldn't... so yah... just draw up something that basically says 'If you fug up, it's your @$$, not mine'...
I don't think so. There is non-subrogated liability the owner assumes by allowing or condoning the activity on his property.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by travie319
but if we are racing and someone gets hurt on your property... then you are liable....
...and fucked.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
...and fucked.
clusterfucked
Old 12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a great idea, i would definitely be down for that
Old 12-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Regarding the toll roads...the entity that constructed the tolls had a type of lease agreement with the property, and the ownership of the roadway reverts to the State within a stipulated timeframe. Almost all the toll roads constructed in the early 90's have become State owned now, although the revenue management is still performed by a private company.

With regard to the track, you're going to need to consult an attorney, because the potential liability is incredible and you're going to want to defer the risk away from your personal assets. Also, to set up a track you're going to need to check if it is an allowable use of the land (i.e. conformance with the General and Specific Plans of the area), and if it requires a conditional use permit (very likely). The application and approval process for this could take months.

As for insurance, you'll need to have a business plan, with a complete risk analysis performed before someone will even consider underwriting a policy. For any surety, the proposal is going to have to be legit, with real dollars/assets backing it up, and it ain't going to be cheap.

There are a million other things that go along with this, but these are the few thoughts I had...

BowtieBear: are you a licensed architect now? If you are, you know why I ask...if you're not, you should probably find out why I ask.
there are many "OUTLAW " tracks that operate in the US on private property...and the same rules of liability would aply as they do for a swimming pool liability. yes consulting an attorney to clarify your rights....premitting issues will be based on location and what municipality the land is in.

i have been spending time in the gulf and east texas since labor day weekend with damage assesments and rebuilding stratgies for our clients....so i have been out of touch...i am regestered with CA and NCARB...will start the battery of nine after the first of the year..........why do you ask?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

there are many "OUTLAW " tracks that operate in the US on private property...and the same rules of liability would aply as they do for a swimming pool liability. yes consulting an attorney to clarify your rights....premitting issues will be based on location and what municipality the land is in.
True, but we're talking about California, and the rules of liability are not that same as they are for a pool.

i have been spending time in the gulf and east texas since labor day weekend with damage assesments and rebuilding stratgies for our clients....so i have been out of touch...i am regestered with CA and NCARB...will start the battery of nine after the first of the year..........why do you ask?
'Mold mitigation' must be a daily phrase in your work right now.

I ask because you cannot call yourself, or otherwise imply that you are, an architect in CA until you are registered by the state board.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Teching In

I ask because you cannot call yourself, or otherwise imply that you are, an architect in CA until you are registered by the state board.
hhahhahahhahahhahhahhahhahhahahahhahhahahahhahaaha hahahhaahhahah.......i'm old and forgot they changed that...you know that there are thousands of non-lic architecs out there,....and at one time you didnt need a state issued paper......however ...eventhough i have been doing this for quite sometime...designer....is that better for you
Old 12-05-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let's not call this an official "track", but a stretch of paved road on a piece of private property where a group of friends and people with similar interests congregate from time to time. I wasn't thinking of creating Fontana East, just a safe environment free from police intereference. This being the case, I am looking to avoid zoning, permits, and hopefully waivers...which leaves liability.

I thought about this on the flight home. I thought about logical options since my specialty is definitely not in real estate or legal matters as they pertain to the proposed endeavor. The only thing I could come up with was either placing the property in a trust or corporation, or selling shares in the land so in the event a lawsuit does occur, everyone would only be out what they paid for their individual share. It's a shame that we have to look for loopholes because our legal system allows people to sue when they choose to not take responsibility for their actions (like if someone choose to race and crashed their car because they lost control).

No money would be charged for the usage and if I have to go so far as to stay anonymous in the crowd so as not to "condone" any racing on the property, only one other board member could visually ID me.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

hhahhahahhahahhahhahhahhahhahahahhahhahahahhahaaha hahahhaahhahah.......i'm old and forgot they changed that...you know that there are thousands of non-lic architecs out there,....and at one time you didnt need a state issued paper......however ...eventhough i have been doing this for quite sometime...designer....is that better for you
Could you design a superflat road with proper (sand) irrigation and super-wide lanes that would require very little maintenance? How about two lanes separated by a natural barrier of soft desert sand so if you did stray, you wouldn't interfere with the other driver?

If you can do this, you can call yourself Archimedes.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile track outside of Palm Springs