Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno/track questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno/track questions

Whats the difference between a mustang dyno and any other dyno?

How much does a dyno run cost just to get numbers (no tune or anything)

How much does it cost for a dyno w/ a tune.

Exactly what are they changing when they tune your car? I think they mess with your a/f mixture but not sure what else (A4 if it matters.)

Are there any downsides to a dyno tune at all? i.e. gas mileage, or other stuff.

And last, how much should it cost me to go to a 1/4 track for a handful of runs?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mpe488
1) Whats the difference between a mustang dyno and any other dyno?

2) How much does a dyno run cost just to get numbers (no tune or anything)

3) How much does it cost for a dyno w/ a tune.

4) Exactly what are they changing when they tune your car? I think they mess with your a/f mixture but not sure what else (A4 if it matters.)

5) Are there any downsides to a dyno tune at all? i.e. gas mileage, or other stuff.

6) And last, how much should it cost me to go to a 1/4 track for a handful of runs?

Thanks for the help.

I'm not the best one to answer your questions, but nobody else has so I'll take a swing at it... I numbered your questions for referance

1) If your asking the actual mechanical diff. between a mustang dyno and a dyno jet.... I don't know But a mustang dynoe will always produce lower numbers than a dyno jet... besides that... I'm clueless!

2) It's different everywhere, some places I've seen charge as much as $100, I think I payed $50 for the first 5 pulls without a tune, but sometimes if you cn make it out to a dynoday, you can get some pulls for 20-25 bucks.

3) Again everywhere is different, but I'd say on average a full dyno tune generally will run you around $500

4) A/f, timing, tourqe mgt (if applicable)... there is more to it than that, I'm not the right one to ask on this one either

5) There is no downside to a dyno tune at all... as long as it's done by an experienced tuner that really knows what he's doing. Do some reaserch before picking your tuner... Find a good one.

6) Depends on the track, but up here, for $17 you can go on a street night, and get anywhere from 3-10 runs depending on how busy it is... but generally they are busy up here and you'd prob only get 3-5

I didn;t really answer all your questions, but I hope I helped
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nautilus
I'm not the best one to answer your questions, but nobody else has so I'll take a swing at it... I numbered your questions for referance

1) If your asking the actual mechanical diff. between a mustang dyno and a dyno jet.... I don't know But a mustang dynoe will always produce lower numbers than a dyno jet... besides that... I'm clueless!
Me too. That's really all anyone needs to know anyway. Get a dynojet and avoid mustang.

2) It's different everywhere, some places I've seen charge as much as $100, I think I payed $50 for the first 5 pulls without a tune, but sometimes if you cn make it out to a dynoday, you can get some pulls for 20-25 bucks.!
Yes sir. They usually run $75 by me when they are not part of a dyno day.

3) Again everywhere is different, but I'd say on average a full dyno tune generally will run you around $500
You again are pretty much right on. Although some places go as low as $350 for the first 5 pulls. But then they hit you for $25 a run after that and it always takes more then 5 pulls to tune these cars it seems. $400-$550 is a very normal range to pay for a full dyno tune. Mine cost $450.00 and was well worth it.

4) A/f, timing, tourqe mgt (if applicable)... there is more to it than that, I'm not the right one to ask on this one either.
A/F is the #1 thing they are tweaking. I'm by no means an expert either so there is likely more to it but we can leave that to the pros who are doing the tuning.

5) There is no downside to a dyno tune at all... as long as it's done by an experienced tuner that really knows what he's doing. Do some reaserch before picking your tuner... Find a good one.
Exactly. A dyno tune will find HP even in a stock car. But for all intensive purposes, they are not considered needed until after big mods like heads, cam, N20. A lot of folks need one after LT headers because most cars run lean (some even run rich) and throw off timing. Check the sponsor list for a speed shop nearest you------------>

Generally speaking, you gain HP and get better gas mileage after a dyno tune. Nothing to dislike about that.

6) Depends on the track, but up here, for $17 you can go on a street night, and get anywhere from 3-10 runs depending on how busy it is... but generally they are busy up here and you'd prob only get 3-5.
I used to run at Rt 66 speedway in Joliet, IL (world famous baby!). That actually sucked. They charge $35 to run on TnT night and you would only get 2-4 runs in. The most I ever got was 4, least was 2 and normal was 3. Then I moved to NY and now I go to New York International Raceway Park. I pay $12 and usually get 4-10 runs in. Needless to say I'm a happier camper now

I didn;t really answer all your questions, but I hope I helped
I think you did an excellent job and answered all his questions perfectly.

Last edited by darrensls1; 12-07-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mustang dyno's typically read lower than a dynojet, not sure the exact differences though I could find them in a search I'm sure.

~$75

~$450

Exactly what are they changing when they tune your car? I think they mess with your a/f mixture but not sure what else (A4 if it matters.) They change tons of things, the major things that I know about are air/fuel mix, timing, any codes deleted, speed raised, cooling fans changed, they do a lot of stuff I don't understand in street driving to make it idle better and stuff too.

Are there any downsides to a dyno tune at all? i.e. gas mileage, or other stuff.

no, unless you get bad gas and then you will run bad and possibly risk damage to engine. This is because they run the air/fuel and timing right on the edge so you can get the most power.

And last, how much should it cost me to go to a 1/4 track for a handful of runs?

~$15

Thanks for the help.
Here's my best from personal experience.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres my stab at it

Mustang dyno will dyno lower because they simulate the road/resistence/friction etc, they will actualy dyno higher if these settings are turned off though, which is almost never done.

Varies quite a bit, most around here are 35-45 a pull then 10 a pull after that w/air fuel

400-500 (i paid 400 for mine)

Exactly what are they changing when they tune your car? I think they mess with your a/f mixture but not sure what else (A4 if it matters.)

Depending on what you have done to the car they will change the idle,shiftpoints,rev limiter, timing etc. Usually the goal is to get the A/F to around 13.0:1, certain mods like a cam for example cause the car to run rich on a stock tune (12.0:1) or around there so it needs to be adjusted, once it is adjusted this is where the power comes from a tune.

Drivablity and MPG unless the tune is a radical one should both be better after the tune is done, there arent really any "downsides" its based on what you want out of the car.

Around here its around $15 on a test and tune day (free runs) to run it as long as you want.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys, I know I ask a lot of questions but you guys were more than helpful.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Wow, I never knew that it cost so much to tune the LS's. A mustang can be tuned for around $200-$300 on a dyno.

98 NBM hit it right on the head about the differences in the two dyno's.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

A mustang dyno will give you a more accurate reading...

everything else price wise...varies on where you go and who you know