Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its such a love & hate relationship

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its such a love & hate relationship

I have determined I have a love/hate relationship with my bird, I know this is a common rant with FBody owners but I figured I would list them out. As with most muscle/sports/special interest cars they all have their own fair shares of issues with their owners especially after you mod them But the funny thing is I have never felt this same way with my GN or my 67' Cheve II that I had. This is my list....

What I love about the car
The........
-Power and strength of the LS1
-Looks and style of the car
-Comfortable seats
-Great response the motor has to mods
-4L60E (Yes I know some don't care for it)
-Gauge cluster and gauges
-Ttops!
-Color combinations available
-Nice mean deep tone of the exhaust (IMO LT1's sound better tho)

What I hate about the car
The........
-Cheep plastic interior
-Stock wheels
-Cheep paint (Mine has a few spots missing the clear coat on the rear bumper and under the driver side fender the paint is gone. My car is not daily driven and is usually under cover)
-Cost of mods! (IE: A nice LS6 intake manifold cost as much or very close to an upgraded turbo for a Buick. Blowers... Some 5.0 blowers are half the cost of LS1 blowers)
-REAR END! The worst rear I have ever seen in a production performance car (My car is 95% stock and the rear whines and creaks and makes all kinds of great noises )
-Comfort over all, Yes the seats are great but the interior as it is just is not comfortable
-Ride comfort, These cars don't have a nice smooth ride to them.
-Emissions equip.... (All is turned off) But the check valves or headers tick! I hate that
-Front windshield sucks to clean

So thats my little rant..... Both good and bad, Anyone else feel what I'm saying?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I agree with all your likes (including the 4L60E, it's a great auto trans IMO).

But I really don't share most of your dislikes.

I have no issues with the rear end for an auto car (it seems weak for the 6-speed guys though). I've been into the 1.6 60 foot range at stock weight on DRs without any rear end issues on my old WS6. And my stock Camaro has no rear end issues either. Sure, stronger would always be better, but personally I can't say that I dislike it becuase so far I've had no reason to....knocking on wood

I've never had an issue with paint on any of my three F-bodies.

Stock wheels being good/bad is all about opinion I guess. WS6/Firehawk/SS cars get great wheels IMO.

Interior is fine IMO for cars in this price range. Again, nicer is always better but I can't say that I have any problem with the interior in the Trans Am or Camaro. I do like the cloth seats better though, F-body leather doesn't always wear very well.

I actually find the interior very comfortable.

Ride quality is exactly what it should be for a car like this, IMO. If I want a nice smooth ride I'll drive my Bonneville. It's like a couch.

Front window is kinda hard to clean from the inside.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

I love every thing about my car .
Old 12-10-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

I have no issues with the rear end for an auto car (it seems weak for the 6-speed guys though). I've been into the 1.6 60 foot range at stock weight on DRs without any rear end issues on my old WS6. And my stock Camaro has no rear end issues either. Sure, stronger would always be better, but personally I can't say that I dislike it becuase so far I've had no reason to....knocking on wood

I know it is common with the six speed but for some reason mine has a crappy rear.
--------------------------
I've never had an issue with paint on any of my three F-bodies.

I did on my 95 also (well just the front clip)
---------------
Stock wheels being good/bad is all about opinion I guess. WS6/Firehawk/SS cars get great wheels IMO.

Very true! The premium wheels like you listed are great, I was think more about the V6's and the regular Z28's & Formulas/TA's

--------------------------
Ride quality is exactly what it should be for a car like this, IMO. If I want a nice smooth ride I'll drive my Bonneville. It's like a couch.

Thats very true, Thats why I have a DD. I could never my FBody every day...
Old 12-10-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda know where you're coming from, the car does have some annoyances, like squeaks, rattles, wind noise, cat hump in the pass. floor, useless back seats, and a hard to clean windshield, but the annoyance I have with it goes away every time I step on the loud pedal, and it never fails to put a huge grin on my face.
I drive mine every day and I guess I've gotten used to the ride, don't even notice if it's harsh (but then I hate cars that float all over the road)
Old 12-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Banned

just little things you have to get used to i guess
Old 12-10-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Love

- Looks...most aggressive cars on the street. Especially lowered!
- SOUND....sounds pissed off.... Especially Cammed.
- Respectful.

Hate

- Cost of Insurance
- Cost of Gas
- LOUD rear end....my springs sound friggin' horrible.
- Still one of the best cars, but no longer the TOP top of the food chain...
- Not a corner carver....I can't take a corner more than 10mph without my ASR kicking in. booo

^^^ Just high gas prices I could tolerate.

Last edited by Ell Ess Won; 12-10-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
Hate

- Not a corner carver....I can't take a corner more than 10mph without my ASR kicking in. booo
Simple fix. Turn ASR off.

Honestly, I'm surprised that you have traction issues going into corners/curves. I've pushed both my Z28 and WS6 so hard into certain curves (like expressway on-ramps) that it's nearly tossed passengers out of their seat and the only time I seem to have traction issues is if I hit a bump (due to live rear axle) during the curve.

As for (90 degree) corners, I don't really push very hard into those. To risky on city streets.

PS. Are you still using the 16X8 Z28 wheels with a stock suspension? If so that might explain it. Once I put some SFCs and a STB on the car handling was better, then I put on the 17X9 ZR1s with some good rubber and it was a night and day difference. Of course the ride is more harsh with 17" wheels, but these cars aren't supposed to drive like a Cadillac.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate the:
-gas mileage
-sound of the rear end (as mentioned)
-sounds of my AC fan spooling (not sure if this is normal)
-huge blindspots I'm not used to
-not being able to see the front of the hood
-turning radius
-accesory motors (windows, and rear view mirrors) mine are all going/already bad, only at 50,000 miles

Of course, my last car had power nothing, great visibility, and it was incredibly easy to park. So I think I'll get used to most of the stuff on that list eventually.

What I love-
-the comfy seats
-how the leather smells
-t-tops
-the 4 extra cylinders
-the extra 205 bhp (as rated by GM)
-the sound... can't imagine how much nicer it'll be with exhaust
-the looks (of the car)
-the looks (from other people)
-the flip-up headlights!!!... until I have to replace the motors

That about covers it I guess
Old 12-10-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
PS. Are you still using the 16X8 Z28 wheels with a stock suspension? If so that might explain it. Once I put some SFCs and a STB on the car handling was better, then I put on the 17X9 ZR1s with some good rubber and it was a night and day difference. Of course the ride is more harsh with 17" wheels, but these cars aren't supposed to drive like a Cadillac.
To risky without ASR...I've almost lost it.

Yes they are the Stock wheels, with upgraded rubbers. I have 245/50/16" Firehawk Wide-Ovals in the rears and 245/50/16" Cooper Z's in the front.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate the turning radius of the car (parking lots ... uggg) and the parking brake is practically useless on any decent grade even in the fully up position. I wonder is anyone with a M6 able to park their car in N and not have it roll? I've got under 11,000 miles and the stupid parking brake cannot be trusted. And I have never engaged it with the car in motion ...
Hmm I also don't like the fact that the Camaro doesn't have headrests. I really hope no one ever rearends me. Paintchips are a real bitch. This car catches a lot more than my last car and they really show when you have white specks amidst your black paint! Hmm what else. The seatbelt always loosens up as I drive. I don't know about others but I actually like it to feel a little snug on me. The windshield was hard for me to clean off the first time from inside but I got used to that. Same with the hatch glass.

So other than those things I actually like the car a lot.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
I hate the turning radius of the car (parking lots ... uggg) and the parking brake is practically useless on any decent grade even in the fully up position. I wonder is anyone with a M6 able to park their car in N and not have it roll? I've got under 11,000 miles and the stupid parking brake cannot be trusted. And I have never engaged it with the car in motion ...
Hmm I also don't like the fact that the Camaro doesn't have headrests. I really hope no one ever rearends me. Paintchips are a real bitch. This car catches a lot more than my last car and they really show when you have white specks amidst your black paint! Hmm what else. The seatbelt always loosens up as I drive. I don't know about others but I actually like it to feel a little snug on me. The windshield was hard for me to clean off the first time from inside but I got used to that. Same with the hatch glass.

So other than those things I actually like the car a lot.
My parking brake works perfectly, and my seatbelt stays nice and snug

I agree about the paint chips and cleaning the glass though
Old 12-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Love...

* the aggressive look of the car
* power, power, power
* cockpit-like interior
* stock monsoon stereo system is pretty decent
* sound, especially with magnaflow catback

Hate...

* squeaks and rattles (as mentioned) even with sfc's I still get plenty of noise
* insurance premiums
Old 12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won

Yes they are the Stock wheels, with upgraded rubbers. I have 245/50/16" Firehawk Wide-Ovals in the rears and 245/50/16" Cooper Z's in the front.

That explains the handling issue. Some 17X9s with good 275/40/17s will greatly improve the cornering abilities. Only time you should lose traction in a curve would be if you hit decent bump (due to live axle).
Old 12-11-2005, 01:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

As for insurance, you guys paying high premiums must be young still. I'm over 25 and married, and the Z28 only costs me $180 per year more to insure than my Bonneville.

'98 Z28: $860 per year (full coverage)
'96 Bonneville: $680 per year (full coverage)

It would be even cheaper if I didn't live so close to Chicago.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:53 AM
Tech Resident

Damn... am i the only one whos T-tops leak?!?

...I still wouldnt ever trade them for a hardtop
Old 12-11-2005, 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
I hate the turning radius of the car (parking lots ... uggg) and the parking brake is practically useless on any decent grade even in the fully up position. I wonder is anyone with a M6 able to park their car in N and not have it roll? I've got under 11,000 miles and the stupid parking brake cannot be trusted. And I have never engaged it with the car in motion ....
check the pads on your ebrakes. after i replaced mine, it held no matter what. maybe the owner before you used it to stop the car one to many times?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Honestly, I'm surprised that you have traction issues going into corners/curves. I've pushed both my Z28 and WS6 so hard into certain curves (like expressway on-ramps) that it's nearly tossed passengers out of their seat and the only time I seem to have traction issues is if I hit a bump (due to live rear axle) during the curve.

As for (90 degree) corners, I don't really push very hard into those. To risky on city streets.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that going from 16s to 17s with good tires is a big difference.

I belive Camaros should have only came with 17inch rims.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I thought I was the only one who noticed that going from 16s to 17s with good tires is a big difference.

Yeah I noticed quite a difference going from the stock 16X8 Z28 wheels with 245/50 Goodyear GS-C tires to 17X9 SS wheels with BFG KDW 275/40 tires.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98boxer

They should have...mine need to be bigger. there the best of the 16's though, chrome factory.