Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

does anyone have feaux-exhaust-tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone have feaux-exhaust-tips?

i love the way the dumps duals sound, but i would really like the corsa tips. so just thought i'd see if anyone has their tips mounted, but not actually "functioning".
what would be involved with hanging them anyway?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would be pointless... and
Old 12-12-2005, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Why not just use cutouts into the dual dumps and keep the tips for the street?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well for one, because i dont feel like spending the money (which is quite a bit, for what it is) to have the duals run over the axle. sure, i could go under the axle, but i dont feel like having to unbolt the ******* everytime i have the car on a lift.

i know people have done it in the past, just thought i'd see about it
Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

it's not pointless at all when you have a T/A... the rear bumper looks straight stupid with no tips back there.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, why would i use cutouts? thats about the same difference as not having the tips connected anyhow. might as well not spend the extra money on bs
Old 12-12-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
it's not pointless at all when you have a T/A... the rear bumper looks straight stupid with no tips back there.
thank you

although, before i got the duals i thought the absence of tips looked absolutely retarded, but i have to say it has deffinitely grown on me...but, i like the corsa tips too much
Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first purchased my car, I didn't have the money right away to go out and buy a true catback dual exhaust. I went to the local autoshop, bought two nice looking exhaust tips, hung the one on the passenger side, and bolted the other to the driver's exhaust pipe. It looked nice and was purely cosmetic, and I didn't hesitate to tell people the second pipe was fake and explain to them that it was just until I saved up. They stayed on through the winter, and then in the spring I went ahead and bought the catback.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

The reason some people do it is cuz of inpections. Like here in hawaii you will not pass if your tips done come alll the way out the back. So if ya have tips the cops wont mess withat ya as much. Im sure a few other states are like that
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm just curious how they would hang, and stay straight.

the way it sounds now is perfect, i would just like to fill in the rear fascia exhaust-tip holes again. i originally wanted to have the duals run over the axle, but i think it would quiet it down a bit, not to mention $400+ to have it done
Old 12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you're not supposed to have them dumped before the axle here either, but meh
Old 12-13-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump...
Old 12-13-2005, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

have u guys ever looked under a cavalier 03-04 with the ugly body kit with dual exhaust? well there is only 1 functional tip!lol i looked under at a dealership and was like WTF.....hahahah i will get pics of this!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

monte carlo's come like that as well. theres nothing wrong with doing it either.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol thanks...i'm really not worried if people think theres something "wrong" with it, if they do...well they're probably just ******* retarded.
just curious how it would all work and what not
Old 12-13-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you don't tell someone that the tips are functional, I don't think anyone would say anything in the first place.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

as long as you dont drive where it gets cold enough to see the exhaust vapor coming out. I had my plate blocking off my borla exhaust in for a while because I needed it to be quite and it got cold and the exhaust looked completely retarded with a nice cloud coming out one side and nothing from the other...I fixed that real quick lol.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
also, why would i use cutouts? thats about the same difference as not having the tips connected anyhow. might as well not spend the extra money on bs
No, not really. See, if you use the cutout for the purpose it was intended, then you could open the exhaust for power and close it for TICKET AVOIDANCE!. You would have "options."
Oh yeah, and you could remain legal.

Also, you wouldn't look so f'in retarded rolling down the street with one exhaust smoking (as previously mentioned) or having sound eminating from under the car while having "tips"??

Posted by 02blackws679ta:
well for one, because i dont feel like spending the money (which is quite a bit, for what it is) to have the duals run over the axle. sure, i could go under the axle, but i dont feel like having to unbolt the ******* everytime i have the car on a lift.
i know people have done it in the past, just thought i'd see about it
<------ Well first let me say that I'm not sure WTF that ( ) was all about?
All I did was provide you with a suggestion or alternative. I wasn't making fun of your idea or putting it or you down. Here's a novel idea. It was just a thought so you could have the best of both worlds. F'it if you can't deal with it, but have the ***** to be polite about it.

However, since you've opened this can of worms:

1) As previously stated, your exhaust MUST exit the vehicle to be legal in your state. I know in Florida, the exhaust must either exit the bodylines, or dump BEHIND the rear axle or wheels, can not allow exhaust fumes to infiltrate the car and can not emit a noise louder than that produced by the stock system as mfg'd. This actually applies nationwide, not just statewide,...ask me how I know?

2) You're talking about spending $$$ on the Corsa tips (they ain't cheap), but won't spend the chump change it should cost to tie them into the system? Sorry, but thats just f'd up to me. If your gonna do **** like this, why not take meissenation's suggestion and go buy some cheap tips to go one there?

3) If the cops or inspectors do decide to inspect your car, don't you think they'd be smart enough to use a mirror to check your exhaust? I do. It's cheap, easily transported and stored and you'd be surprised what kind of stuff we find hangin' under the belly of cars The Cavaliers and the ilk come that way from the factory. Still think it's gay, but at least the factory did it and not someone trying to be a poser.

So, to summarize, if you give a **** about staying even reasonably street legal, not having the police mess with you at every stop light, not pissing them off when they think you've tried to "pass one by", and if you want power at will and the sound when you want it, then save your pennies and do it right. Get the cut outs (electric) and a set of pipes.

Oh yeas, and I realize the electric cutouts are expensive (thus the reason they're not on mine yet), but certainly worth the extra $$. I'd do this the duals and some cheap tips for now before I'd bolt on a fake tip Get the Corsa's when you can afford them.

Have a nice day.....
Old 12-15-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lmfao dude...
first off, my car has been this way for almost two years and i've been pulled over atleast 5 times in that span of time. never even been flinched at about the exhaust, i'm not worried IN THE LEAST BIT about being "legal". i just had it inspected and it was passed just the same. if i wanted to be "legal" i wouldn't have a car that i want to modify in such a manner.
i said corsa, because people know what it is, but if you look a few threads down you'll see a "corsa knock-off" thread, which is actually what spawned this thread. i would never pay $300+ for some ******* tips :no:

i dont need "options", i have no desire to ever be quieter than it is right now. i dont want to have to uncap it or anything else...I LIKE IT HOW IT IS

save my money and "do it right", is only your opinion of "right". like i said, i could give a **** what someone thinks about my exhaust tips, or lack thereof.
i'm not the one who thought of this, i know i've read about people doing it on here, i just wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience with it, but thanks for your essay none the less

Quick Reply: does anyone have feaux-exhaust-tips?