Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CETA paint mod. How much did you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CETA paint mod. How much did you pay?

How much have you guys paid to have your Trans Am bumper painted CETA style? I have been quoted 100 bucks and 80. The body shops my car is at now told me 80 but backed out of it giving my some bulshit excuse like they where already painting the bumper when I called and told him to do it so he didnt have time ( this was three days ago, still dont have my car ready). So basicly he just didnt want to do it for the $80 quote he gave me. So what sounds right from a good paint and body shop? and how long did it take? thanks, Josh.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out some of the members cars who did it themselves. Its really pretty easy, just follow the steps and have some patience. It will be nice to do it yourself, just do a search or maybe someone will post up some links.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

i lucked out...had to get my bumper replaced and they come flat black...so i told them to just paint the surrounding area...basically how they did the CETA.

$100.00 is a reasonable price though...just make sure you supply them with a pic so they dont screw it up...ya figure how could they, but you'd be surprised...goodluck.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

$100?? Materials only cost $12. It cost me $12, but i worked at a body shop and had my buddy who was a body man do the painting for me. Took MAYBE an hour and a half.

1st... Jack up the rear of the car so you have room to work (NO need in taking the bumper off).

2nd... Mask up the area around the bumper

3rd... wash the bumper area really well and use a red scotch bright w/ some soap and water and scrub the hell out of it until all shine is gone. (may take a few scrubs/washing/drying/scrubbing again routines).

4th... paint the sucker. I didnt like the dark gray iv seen on some CETAs so I checked out the GM color guide book and found a semi-gloss black that I liked that GM used for a lower bumper before too. Worked out great.

Except for the $12 in paint, you should be able to do everything yourself and possibly save yourself some money... Result: Flawless work & Pictures are available
Old 12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
$100?? Materials only cost $12. It cost me $12, but i worked at a body shop and had my buddy who was a body man do the painting for me. Took MAYBE an hour and a half.

1st... Jack up the rear of the car so you have room to work (NO need in taking the bumper off).

2nd... Mask up the area around the bumper

3rd... wash the bumper area really well and use a red scotch bright w/ some soap and water and scrub the hell out of it until all shine is gone. (may take a few scrubs/washing/drying/scrubbing again routines).

4th... paint the sucker. I didnt like the dark gray iv seen on some CETAs so I checked out the GM color guide book and found a semi-gloss black that I liked that GM used for a lower bumper before too. Worked out great.

Except for the $12 in paint, you should be able to do everything yourself and possibly save yourself some money... Result: Flawless work & Pictures are available
Basically the same as him, except I wetsanded the area, and used just flat black. And since it is really humid in Florida, I took a heat gun and went over the bumper area with it after every coat I sprayed to make sure it would come out nice and smooth!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Iv been post-whoring these pictures latelly, but heres one of mine...

Old 12-16-2005, 03:21 PM

My buddy did it himself, its really simple. If you cant get ahold of a paint gun Im sure some flat black spray paint will do the job as long as you take your time.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

My buddy paints on the side and had some extra paint left over. I gave him $35 and he took care of it. Thats paint + labor. Very glad I did it.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had damage done to my rear bumper, so it was $350. Yea I know it sounds like I got ripped but compared to what the damage was and then the result is amazing.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

YEa, thanks for the advice. I have an airbrush so I might try to d it my self.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

i own a black trans am ws6, i have the black and white color scheme on my car. my question is would anyone recomend anything like that on a black car??? maybe a flat black or a greyish black so it kinda sticks out. i was just wondering cause i love the way that looks on a white t/a. really looks nice on these cars. or maybe i should just paint my car white... haha!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Why not paint it white? Would go with your car
Old 12-24-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was in an accident and they had to replace the bumper and paint it so i asked if they could paint it, and they did for free.

Quick Reply: CETA paint mod. How much did you pay?