Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90mm FAST TB sticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 90mm FAST TB sticking

I've tried to do a search a 100 times today and something is wrong with the board, so here it goes.

I have a pretty new 90mm FAST TB, and it is sticking open under part throttle.

It starts up and idles fine but if you slowly press the accelerator and let off it sticks at that rpm. You can tap the pedal and it comes right back down, or you can get under the hood and move the arm on the throttle body back by hand.

It didn't do this the first couple weeks I had it, but its been doing it pretty bad lately. I called FAST, and of course I got attitude. The first thing this gentleman asked me was "What size cam do you have in your car?" I have a stock one in there now(I have a H/C package waiting to go in, but what in the hell does that have to do with a sticking TB?). Then I was told to measure the shaft, blah, blah, blah...... Send it back and we will put it through out warranty process.... In other words, I'm probably going to be without a TB for quite sometime.

I have read about this before and someone said something about a fix that we can do, but since the search feature is T/U, I cannot find anything on it.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2005, 02:02 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd think they'd a fixed their damn 90mm TB after 2 years of production.

I had FAST90mm sticking issues. I tried "the fix" and it did not work. I took it as a loss and got a TPIS 90mm TB which worked incredibly well. TPIS uses stock (proven) moving parts, with the stock spring. FAST's spring is so small, you'd think it was intended for a wind up watch.

My advice is purchase another (Nick Williams or TPIS) 90mm TB, put it on your car, send the FAST back for warranty and sell it when you get your repaired FAST back. This will reduce downtime.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

i just got a carburetor type return spring kit and attached it to the coolant crosover tube and in the slot where the throttle cable goes.i also for some reason had to slot the holes in my throttle cable bracket.it works awesome now.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

for the price you would think it would work without needing to do anything
Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
that's what i thought also but no suck luck.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

You got that right!!!! This clown also told me to add a carb style return spring to it, just like the guy above did. I told him the car is EFI, not a dinosaur. He said, "People do it everyday!"....... Not this dude!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another FAST TB victim.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-21-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
another FAST TB victim.

I guess, I'm stuck with letting them attempt to fix it, or just put a HD return spring on it somehow and run it to the crossover coolant line.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

You will have to put a extra spring on it or live with it! I put a 2nd spring on mine no probs now!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TA TECH
You will have to put a extra spring on it or live with it! I put a 2nd spring on mine no probs now!

Do you have any pics? Where did you get the spring?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-21-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

my FAST TB goes on friday hope mines ok, if not ill just put a garage door spring on it LOL
Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
You got that right!!!! This clown also told me to add a carb style return spring to it, just like the guy above did. I told him the car is EFI, not a dinosaur. He said, "People do it everyday!"....... Not this dude!

Well look in Jegs or Summit, they have some nice colored ones Seriously though I know I wouldn't want to put one of those springs on just to make the tb work right.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

There's no excuse for this bull sh*t. One shouldn't have to fab up anything on a high priced TB that's supposed to be bolt on.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

No pics but ya can go to an auto parts store and get one one end of the spring has a round loop on one end and a the other end is straight when ya can mount it any where its a universal type spring!Do a search on the fast and ya should find a pic I saw one on here a long time ago!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry to hear all the problems you guy's are having with the FAST 90 TB....now Im glad I spent the money on my Nick Williams TB...no issues at all.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TA TECH
No pics but ya can go to an auto parts store and get one one end of the spring has a round loop on one end and a the other end is straight when ya can mount it any where its a universal type spring!Do a search on the fast and ya should find a pic I saw one on here a long time ago!

I'm going to go to the local performance store and see what I can find. How long is your spring? Something I noticed this morning is that it does not stick open when the TB is cold, but once it gets heat soaked, it seems that the return spring looses its elasticity and hangs up.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2005, 10:45 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

You honestly shouldn't have to deal with purchasing a freaking spring to make this TB work correctly.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

geez guys its just a 25 cent spring. its not a big deal. ive been doin this along time(fbody modding) and im sure so have u guys, has every part weve ever bought bolted up and fit EXACTLY perfect? no.
its part of the game, if ya cant handle little tweaks like this then u shouldnt be doin it.
however yes it is a pretty penny for this TB (i have one) and its a shame. but its easily fixable.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
geez guys its just a 25 cent spring. its not a big deal. ive been doin this along time(fbody modding) and im sure so have u guys, has every part weve ever bought bolted up and fit EXACTLY perfect? no.
its part of the game, if ya cant handle little tweaks like this then u shouldnt be doin it.
however yes it is a pretty penny for this TB (i have one) and its a shame. but its easily fixable.
Research and Development and quality control obviously means nothing to you. A 25 cent spring is an easy fix. It's also a bulls*t fix.
When Pacesetter Long Tubes had conflicts with the K-member, they fixed it. When Comp 918's had a bad batch, they fixed them. Apparently, FAST does not give a sh*t about fixing their TB and continues to give the attitude to paying customer who fork over their hard earned money for a high priced TB.
TPIS and Nick Williams are the way to go.
If you're satisfied with your rigged TB, that's good for you. Enjoy it.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 12-22-2005 at 10:06 AM.