Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

A truly Mobile Chassis dyno like no other

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A truly Mobile Chassis dyno like no other

Check out this dyno where it was brought right to someones house for dyno testing.
Click here to see the rest of the pictures and Video

Old 12-29-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the link to the manufacturer's website:

http://www.dynapack.com/dynapack.html

They were at PRI in Orlando. A long haul from New Zealand, but worth the trip, or so they said. The demos on a modded BMW M3 were impressive. I think they might have borrowed the dyno from the source maldo showed.

The dyno has been around a while, but is just starting to catch on here. It isn't cheap, compared to a Dynojet, but it has many obvious (and some not so obvious) advantages. With almost no inertia, you can step off in 5th gear from an idle and program almost any acceleration rate. Step tests are also easy, as is part-throttle operation for driveablility tuning.

Yep, with a lift gate or a very husky "roadie", dyno service in you driveway is practical. We were most impressed. Oh, be careful if you go drinking with "Kiwis".

Last edited by Old SStroker; 12-29-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

There's an article about this type of dyno written by David Vizard.

The article states that:

The load brake dyno eliminates the effects of tire rolling resistance, tire pressure,
tire expansion, tire slip, and tie-down tensioning.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

lol.. its just a portable engine dyno..
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like it would be more reliable and consistent than the roller type.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder what the neighbors think noise wise. Hehehehehe
Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
There's an article about this type of dyno written by David Vizard.

The article states that:

The load brake dyno eliminates the effects of tire rolling resistance, tire pressure,
tire expansion, tire slip, and tie-down tensioning.
in other words, it gives you a reading that is higher than any other chassis dyno.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Here's the link to the manufacturer's website:

http://www.dynapack.com/dynapack.html

They were at PRI in Orlando. A long haul from New Zealand, but worth the trip, or so they said. The demos on a modded BMW M3 were impressive. I think they might have borrowed the dyno from the source maldo showed.

The dyno has been around a while, but is just starting to catch on here. It isn't cheap, compared to a Dynojet, but it has many obvious (and some not so obvious) advantages. With almost no inertia, you can step off in 5th gear from an idle and program almost any acceleration rate. Step tests are also easy, as is part-throttle operation for driveablility tuning.

Yep, with a lift gate or a very husky "roadie", dyno service in you driveway is practical. We were most impressed. Oh, be careful if you go drinking with "Kiwis".

boy you hit it on the nose we are located in Jacksonville, fl
Old 12-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AdioSS
in other words, it gives you a reading that is higher than any other chassis dyno.
No this set up its more accurate and less stress on the engine and driveline.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

in other words, it gives you a reading that is higher than any
other chassis dyno.
I would have thought the same, but the article I read showed approximately
15 points less on both HP/TQ at their respective RPM.

http://gmthunder.com/tech/dynocompare.jpg
Old 12-30-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a guy in orlando has a mobile dyno jet here is the link with some pictures

http://www.fuelslut.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38344
Old 12-30-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyna Pack has offices in my Home town of Fresno ca...... I dont belive they measure "coast down numbers" but 99% of people dont use or know what those are...
Old 12-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Teching In

The dynopack really makes sense.
I really like the idea of eliminating the tire interface and slippage. Cars do "behave" very well on the Dynopack. this machine is perfect for steady speed testing.

On the other hand, I actually like the capability to doing an inertia runs on rolls. I can watch the rate of acceleration on my Dynojet and tell if we've picked up power. It doesn't get any more straight forward than this.

One limitation with the Dynopack, cars with narrowed rear axles will require long extensions to reach the axle flange from the dyno "box".
I expect you must check the flange for runout at the lugs.

One way you crawl under and strap it down, the other you take the wheels off.

Last edited by headman; 12-31-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

Not true. I own a dynapack and its sometimes lower than local dynojets.

But the difference is it is highly accurate.

Rick
Old 12-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Banned

I would like to say I like seeing threads like this. I spent years trying all types of dynos and the dynapack is what I ended up buying. Yes, it is not cheap, our model 4000 was around the range of 80Kplus. So I can see why most dyno shops go with other routes....But what you get with this unit is worth its weight and price. Not only can I build timing tables from scratch, I can tune a full VE table for an SD car in one day. Ask anyone that does their own SD tuning on the street, and they will kill to do that. I can lock in on any RPM, hold it all day long, ect. The next best thing is figuring out how I can arrive at the timing table I do. I can meassure the TQ off the drivetrain in real time, and with my scanner add or subtract timing and see what makes mroe power and when power stops. These types of tools can put any tune into the next world. The result is a car that is perfect, or just near that. The best part is because I can load the car down every RPM and every MAP value, I can now simulate the engine at that RPM doing the most work. This means that when the customer drives away, it wont matter what they do, what tire they use, they will never have a car that is not finished. Have you ever had a tune and said, its nice, but it still pings in 5th and 6th gear? You wont anymore. I know, sounds like a sales pitch....but the dyno speaks for itself. If you ever get a chance to use one, do it.

Rick
Old 01-01-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Not only can I build timing tables from scratch, I can tune a full VE table for an SD car in one day. Ask anyone that does their own SD tuning on the street, and they will kill to do that.
Rick
I wouldn't kill for it........but it sure would be nice to use.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
I would like to say I like seeing threads like this. I spent years trying all types of dynos and the dynapack is what I ended up buying. Yes, it is not cheap, our model 4000 was around the range of 80Kplus. So I can see why most dyno shops go with other routes....But what you get with this unit is worth its weight and price. Not only can I build timing tables from scratch, I can tune a full VE table for an SD car in one day. Ask anyone that does their own SD tuning on the street, and they will kill to do that. I can lock in on any RPM, hold it all day long, ect. The next best thing is figuring out how I can arrive at the timing table I do. I can meassure the TQ off the drivetrain in real time, and with my scanner add or subtract timing and see what makes mroe power and when power stops. These types of tools can put any tune into the next world. The result is a car that is perfect, or just near that. The best part is because I can load the car down every RPM and every MAP value, I can now simulate the engine at that RPM doing the most work. This means that when the customer drives away, it wont matter what they do, what tire they use, they will never have a car that is not finished. Have you ever had a tune and said, its nice, but it still pings in 5th and 6th gear? You wont anymore. I know, sounds like a sales pitch....but the dyno speaks for itself. If you ever get a chance to use one, do it.

Rick

well said
Old 01-02-2006, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

not to steal any thunder, but theres a local guy who put one of those on a trailer
Old 01-02-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hennytime
not to steal any thunder, but theres a local guy who put one of those on a trailer
Whos the chick?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bink
I wouldn't kill for it........but it sure would be nice to use.

opps... Maybe alittle overboard then.

Rick

Quick Reply: A truly Mobile Chassis dyno like no other