Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone tell me what this guy is trying to tell me(for a cutout)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can someone tell me what this guy is trying to tell me(for a cutout)

I asked him if I will need to buy a y pipe separately(it is an auction for a QTP QTEC E-CUTOUT ELECTRONIC CUTOUT CUT OUT 3" *NEW*)

You don't, but you could use it. I just think you'll end up spending more for nothing going that route as opposed to just welding the right angle on your existing exhaust. Go ask a welder, or cll one. They back me up.

Also, just an informational notation for you, any good welder (I am a welder) would simply use a small piece of 3 inch piping (AL or ST), or flare (if piping is smaller than 3 inches)from a smaller pipe, and cut an ellipse in it and a hole in the existing piping and weld it in one piece at the downpipe (If turbo) or after cat (if N-A). As opposed to cutting a section out of the existing exhaust and welding two points overhead, undercar. It's actually harder to do it with a y-pipe, most welders weld exhaust pieces with the exhaust in place for good fitment, it's hard to weld the top of any exhaust while in place, and therefore easier to weld to a cut-out part of existing piping, also requiring one less weld undercar, there-by saving even more money/time for the customer PLUS a more finished/professional look. This is just my professional opinion. The y-pipe was included in QTP's later kits for DIYers so that they could use band-clamps or exhaust clamps, which is just jerry-rigging IMO. One weld usually costs $25 with tungsten. Just trying to give you a big picture POV, not just some sales garbage. I simply have no need for this part and would be happy if it sold at $80.00..

anyone have a diagram of what he's saying?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's a pic of what it comes with

Old 12-30-2005, 01:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he is saying that you dont need the cutout the y pipe. (in attachment) This is what you connect to the electric cutout. He is saying to just cut an oval hole in the exhaust and have a welder weld a piece of 3 in tubing at and angle like in the attachment and just put the cutout on that piece. As a result saving from cutting out a section of about 12 inches from the stock exhaust and then bolting the electric cutout to the y-piece and then welding that into the section that was cutout of the stock exhaust. this is a good idea but the piece of 3in tubing that he is welding to the stock exhaust were the oval is cut out( the guys idea that u are talking about) needs to have a flange or some sort of ring that has 3 holes for the electric cutout to mount to. IMHO i would just get the electric cutout and the y-pipe piece in the attachment and have then cut out the section and weld both bolted together in place. Hope this didn't confuse you more
Attached Thumbnails Can someone tell me what this guy is trying to tell me(for a cutout)-13_small.jpg  
Old 12-30-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also i would go with this cutout here on ebay it has a one year warranty just like qtp but it is a full 3.5inches and mounts perfect to the qtp stainless y pipe, you will get better hp from this and it is the same price if not cheaper. this is what i have and it has been flawless for the last 7 months
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhau...spagenameZWDVW

Every little bit counts, i believe the qtp is around 2.5 inch actual diameter not the advertised 3in, my dad has one lol, he like mine better
Old 12-30-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used stainless header collector stubs from Jeg's and got
one welded directly to a fortunate bend in the I-pipe. You
could do the same at the two bends in the Y. I would skip
the "Flowtech style" cutout-pipe altogether unless you are
limited to a Sawzall for tools.