Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro/Firebird reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro/Firebird reliability?

I'm looking at buying a ls1 M6 in good condition and I was wondering at what point does a ls1 have too many miles on it? I'd like to pick one up with around 60k but if I get one with 80-90k is that going to be too much? When to F-bodies start having engine/electrical/transmission/rearend problems? I have a high mileage car right now and I just can't stand having to spend my money fixing all of the small stupid **** that I could have spent on mods!
Old 01-03-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by punishercb
When to F-bodies start having engine/electrical/transmission/rearend problems?
When they left the factory compared to Honda or Toyota.

Seriously - I've seen well maintained F-bodies with over 100K miles on them still running strong with few problems. I stress WELL MAINTAINED.... !....!
Get one that has been beat on and abused by a not too bright owner and you'll get nothing but grief.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
When they left the factory compared to Honda or Toyota.

Seriously - I've seen well maintained F-bodies with over 100K miles on them still running strong with few problems. I stress WELL MAINTAINED.... !....!
Get one that has been beat on and abused by a not too bright owner and you'll get nothing but grief.
Yeah, that's what I thought.lol I know it won't be a toyota or honda but I still want one. I definately am looking for a well treated one too. (got an offer from somebody who sent me a video of them doing a burnout! ) But yeah, how long can I expect the tranny and engine to last if I DO take care of it. I know there's no exact mileage, but how far have you guys gotten on your stock ls1's? 100k is pretty good but is that a fluke?lol
Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F bodys are, if maintained well, pretty much as reliable as a honda, they do have their weaknesses, window motors and a wimpy rearend, but for the engine to over 100k is nothing, there are plenty of people who have over 100k on their cars, and they're still running strong.
BTW so far I've had the best reliability out of my F bodys, compared to any of the other vehicles I've owned
Old 01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by punishercb
I know it won't be a toyota or honda but I still want one.
You're right, it won't be. It just might be better.

Had more issues at lower mileages with my wife's Toyota than I've had with my F-bodies.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Yeah, imports are good but alot are overatted. They still break!lol Case in point, my 95 mitsu eclipse. Piece of ****'s given me more trouble than fun! I'm really hopin to get a good low mileage ls1 but everybody is askin wayyyyy more than bluebook
Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

I have owned 2 Honda's and both gave me problems over and over again. But the Firebirds I've owned have been the most reliable. My 84 V8 firebird I owned for the last 6 yrs has 170K and only probs were starter and new fuel pump in 6 years!!!! My 2000 WS6 has behaved so far (only an a/c pully squeaking) as I have only had it for 3 months. And the wandering and darting at its own will on the bumpy roads!! (but they are notorious for that). Just look it over and give it a good hard test drive as you have to test the tranny and drivetrain and engine, keep the radio off and listen for any clunks! Good luck!!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated above.. the motor and transmission are a beast... the rearend is too weak and usually will break with a hard clutch dump with sticky tires at the track . window motors go bad really fast and allmost every f-body's will go. umm... my sunvisor fell out of the roof... i hear of this happening alot. basically the only thing that is going to wear out fast are the rear tires .
Old 01-06-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

normal driving a f body could and should go 200k miles or so

u might replace things along the way like battery, alternator, etc., things that any car might need after alot of miles, but the drivetrain is very good and should last a long time
Old 01-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Yeah, the key to any car's long-term reliability is maintenance and the way it's used -- or abused. Unfortunately, F-Bodies are performance cars, so they tend to suffer a pretty hard life. Tough to get around that. That said, once you get beyond about 70k miles, it seems like it's more the trim and accessories that go bad on most cars, more than the drivetrain.

Best advice I've ever heard in looking for any used car is to take your time, look at a lot of different examples of the one you want, and buy the best one you can possibly afford -- the money you spend for a really good example will more than offset the time, money, and aggravation spent on bringing a ratty one up to the same level.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm at 135k here, and modded, it gets a few WOT pulls a week. It doesnt need a rebuild, but im working on a new motor for it, just make sure you take care of whatever you get and it will take care of you.

Quick Reply: Camaro/Firebird reliability?