New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which car do you pick?
Pick the stock WS6 that was in storage the last 18 months!
68.48%
Pick the mildly modded WS6 that has been driven daily.
31.52%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Beware of LOW mileage WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Beware of LOW mileage WS6?

Imagine you are shopping for an 02 black WS6. Lucky you.

You find two of them within a few hours drive from you, and both these cars have ~30k miles on them.

- One was purchased to be stored as a collector's car some time in 2004, registered as a non-op vehicle and has been garaged. Only a few thousand miles are put on in 2004, and in 2005 only 9 miles are driven. The last oil change was performed in May 2004, but the car has been started once a month during its hibernation. The car is completely stock.

- The other Black WS6 is slightly modded. Featuring a Borla catback, drilled/slotted front rotors, Centerforce dual friction clutch, and 4.10 gears were added to the stock 10bolt. The car's owner drives the car daily currently, and remarks on retaining good fuel economy with 2-4-6 shifting, and adds that the clutch is not too hard to drive around town.

So the choice is yours.
- Are you worried about the condition of the non-op WS6 since its been sitting for 2 years, and hasnt had an oil change in 18 months?

or

- Do the centerforce clutch and 4.10's in the stock 10bolt scare you more?

Last edited by di0ck; 01-04-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Morning bump.

OK, over 30 views and only one vote... if you don't have time to EXPLAIN your opinion, please just vote of the poll! Thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a tough one man, with the car in storage it would be a good idea to make sure th fuel system is till in good order, may need to be cleaned because it hasnt been used much, once a month to start it is good, but wont get everything. In either car, i'd run some seafoam through it and change all the fluids and filters for piece of mine, then just pick the one that you like best, if the paint on one is better than the other, pick that one, if they are about equal i'd take the modded one personally if you trust the guy and he hasnt beaten it to a pulp everyday, so im voting modded.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
i'd run some seafoam through it
What is this?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:59 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

i was looking for a black 02 ws6 myself a few months ago, luckily my friend decided to sell me hers

but that is a tough choice. if they have the same amount of miles and are the same price, i'd go for the modded one. i would take the garaged one only if it had really low miles, but it sounds like they both have ~30k.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the post, i realize no one can decide for me and it is largely a matter of "what i want".

For the car that was in storage, would fuel system cleanliness be the only thing you'd worry about? I was worried that some seals would dry and crack, or that fluids would go bad like trans fluid or even the fuel in the tank.

The modded car, well, no i cannot trust the guy fully yet. We've just had one phone call, but he seemed to understand my concerns with the stock 10bolt, and with the clutch. He said "I know a lot of people don't like the Centerforce, but i have no problems with it, i love it!" and about when asking about driveline abuse/launching he said he hasnt really raced it.

At any rate: you said to pick the one with the cleanest paint. Thats probably true for a black paint job, because they can go south in a pretty bad way. The modded one has lived and been driven out in the desert near Palm Springs, CA. The stock one has been in a garage under a car cover in Redondo Beach, CA... on the coast, in the city.

I would probably be a lot more into the modded one if i wasn't paranoid of the 4.10's! I worry that i'd (a) break the 10bolt too quickly (b) more easily lose control of the rear end or (c) get really poor mpg.

Hey mcG, (nice car! I remember looking at your pics in the last few weeks and how it made me want a black ws6 even more!) I have a feeling the 30k miles is a reason the guy's deciding not to keep it as a collector car... its not gonna hold its value like it would if it was <15k miles. I'd imagine the modded one had to have been taken care of pretty well if it still only has 30k miles too!

Thank you all for more input!

Last edited by di0ck; 01-04-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

I would always pick the stock car. Any car that has been modified has been driven hard or else why modify it. You might want to do your own thing. I would ask why are they selling.
I don't see why storage with occasional starts would hurt it.

My 02 SS has 24K miles and mostly just sits in the garage with a cover on her. It comes out for runs to Vegas and stuff like that. I bought it new (with a 50K/7 year warranty) and it still smells new inside. Runs just like the day I bought it, It has thrown one SES code and the dealer replaced 1997272 solenoid #P0410. The rest is just oil changes using Mobil 1.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Simple solution: Get the modded one and I'll take the stock one
Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

18 months started every month. I'd ask if they used any stabil in the fuel tank and if they have added any fresh fuel. Other than that, I'd go with the stocker, change the oil, put in fresh gas, some more stabil, and drive it. 18 months isn't that long, especially since it gets ran monthly. My car sits 6 months out of the year, no problems from it.

I agree on the modded one if you weren't going to drive it hard why would you mod it? Plus I bet the paint is better on the garaged one and the interior has seen way less sun. If it were me I'd get the stored one, let the modded one go.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Teching In

The 2002 WS-6 I just got was an Ohio car.. It had 7,1xx mi. when i got it... It was garage stored and only run one day or so a month after its first 6 months in 2002... Its emaculate and smells like new and looks it threouout..

The owner owned a GM Truck dealershiop and had it for giggles.. The only mods he did was Borla Exhuast and drop-in K&N filter.. He did put Modil 1 Full-synthetic before storage, and all the fluids looked like new when I picked it up. I did run Lucas UpperCylinder fuel additive through it.. And plan to swith all fluids for AMSOIL in a month or 2..

I say go for the stored car... But if it was stored why does it have 30K miles????

BIG
Old 01-04-2006, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

wow, very helpful info guys!

the stock one got its 30k miles from the owner before this one, who is said to be a female who originally had a 99 t/a and then traded in the 02 when she wanted to add another horse (equastrian not vehicular) to her stable. the owner who has it now bought it to keep it as a collector car and he has a collection of a few 70's-80's T/A's right now.

the modded one, well, im not sure why he's selling honestly... but yea, i think it was driven as it was intended to be... but it was funny when he tried to tell me the 4.10 gears weren't really a performance mod. i said "wait, no... those gears are for the sole purpose of kick-*** acceleration" ... and lets take note that the clutch went out already before he hit 30,000 miles (hes the 2nd owner) .. so either he or the previous owner did show that clutch/driveline some heat!

Looks like the stock one has taken the lead!!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Teching In

I say go stock. I hate modded cars. You don't know if it was done correctly or if the driver is a bonehead driver.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Camaro Hamster
I say go stock. I hate modded cars. You don't know if it was done correctly or if the driver is a bonehead driver.

Another good point. You don't know what they've done and how they did it.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm guessin that the stock one is an manual as well right?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Launching!

go for the stocker
Old 01-04-2006, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

yea, they are both M6...

i currently drive an import with an A4 and steptronic shifting... time for the real thing now!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

You didn't tell us the prices that would be a HUGE factor! Let us in on the prices and it'd be alot easier to vote!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

ahhh, sorry i omitted that.

The asking price on both cars was listed as $23,000. Which is over KBB by a few thousand.

The stock car's owner said he couldnt go lower than $21,500. [via email]

The modded car's owner said he was flexible on his price, but we did not get further into other offers. [I'm pretty sure he'd at least match the $21,500 the other guy offered.]
Old 01-04-2006, 02:46 PM
dug
Banned

Just drive both cars and buy which ever car feels the most solid. You can tell when a car has been beat on. Everything feels much looser. Avoid that.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just change all the fluids/filters and a tune-up on the stored one and it should be fine. When I was looking I tried to avoid the modded ones b/c obviously they have been driven hard from time to time, but then again I'm sure the stock ones have to. Eh, I voted for the stock, stored one.

Quick Reply: Beware of LOW mileage WS6?