Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

best bang for the buck for S.C.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best bang for the buck for S.C.

I have a customer overseas that is wanting a truck with some kind of supercharger. It will be a built 370 and needs to be at least high 500's rwhp
through an stalled A4. It needs to be as touble free as possible. Any opinions would be helpful.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Magnacharger all the way so long as itll fit which it should since its a truck....they just did a 2006 LS2 vette that made over 600rwhp and with those you get boost straight from idle

http://www.magnacharger.com/images/l...no/dyno007.gif
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An ATI Procharger D1SC will do the trick all day long.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

but its not as trouble free or maintenace free as the magnacharger or simple to install.......AND you get boost straight from idle without having to build boost.ask around,you wouldnt believe how many guys would have gone the roots or magnacharger route if itd fit in the car without alot of modifications.Fbody guys it doesnt clear the windshield wiper area cowl,and vette guys i believe have to get a diff hood,but truck guys are gold.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

When you actaully have a choice, unlike we, F-body owners, why would a centrifugal be picked over a roots?

Magnacharger, all the way.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:45 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of Magnacharger owners who are switching over to ATI ProChargers, as they are not getting the power they thought they would. Heat soak is one of the biggest problems that many have encountered. One guy is getting his CTS-V converted over from a Maggie to an ATI ProCharger. More Cadillac was drifting CTS-V's, and only getting 375 rwhp on their Mustang Chassis Dyno, and they were looking to switch over to ATI ProChargers. A lot of GTO owners are experiencing the same problems related to heat soak. A top mounted supercharger acts like a giant heat sink, as heat rises and the blower is sitting on top of the engine.
For towing duties with a truck, a positive displacement supercharger such as the Magnacharger is hard to beat for low rpm duty. For 500+ rwhp, I'd be looking at the ATI ProChargers. Bob
Old 01-05-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal

When you actaully have a choice, unlike we, F-body owners, why would a centrifugal be picked over a roots?

Magnacharger, all the way.
Because centrifugal blowers are more efficent. And they have the ability to produce more PEAK power than any other supercharger setup, including twin screw blowers.

So if high end power is desired the centrifugal is the better bet, however for normal driving and in a truck I'd much rather have a little less PEAK power and have the low end grunt.

Roots is good, but a twin screw (Whipple/KB) offer the best of both worlds, low end grunt and instant boost and the ability to almost match a centrifugal for efficency so PEAK numbers will be very good. A twin screw blower will also deliver more air at a lower temp than the Roots when under load and at light throttle it will run a little hotter which is good because this will be better for fuel efficency. The only vice with the twin screw is the price.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Procharger will be a faster truck. I've tested with both
Old 01-05-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Billy, I'd say the procharger because for the hp the customer wants, you'd have to be running around 14 psi. That makes a lot of heat out of a rootes. A2W IC's! The old (old!) rule of thumb is that 12 psi is about max for a rootes because of that. Although that's gotten better since the old 6-71 days, it's still pretty much the high end for a DD rootes. Belt slip can and usually does become a problem at that psi (read blower speed).

All in all, the P1 or D1 seems to be the most efficient and reliable at that power level. Just my 2¢. HTH

A question: why don't you just stick a turbo up his rear? j/k
Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

The customer is in the middle east and said they are "scared" of the turbos because they could be harder to work on. I wish I could just do a turbo. It would be easier on me.
Hows the GP coming?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trtturbo
The customer is in the middle east and said they are "scared" of the turbos because they could be harder to work on. I wish I could just do a turbo. It would be easier on me.
Hows the GP coming?
Loyde just told me that we would be at the Alamo City Shootout Feb 3 and 4. Hope so!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, I suppose if peak numbers are all that matters...

However, it still escapes me that the roots market hasn't stepped up for LSX motors. I honestly forgot the low max effort of the Mag over the current D-1. When the hell are they going to step up?

I mean, ****, Mustangs have been enjoying some high hp numbers for some time with Twin-Screws... getting some low-end grunt and somehow they are seeing their way past any heat issues.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Because centrifugal blowers are more efficent. And they have the ability to produce more PEAK power than any other supercharger setup, including twin screw blowers.

So if high end power is desired the centrifugal is the better bet, however for normal driving and in a truck I'd much rather have a little less PEAK power and have the low end grunt.

Roots is good, but a twin screw (Whipple/KB) offer the best of both worlds, low end grunt and instant boost and the ability to almost match a centrifugal for efficency so PEAK numbers will be very good. A twin screw blower will also deliver more air at a lower temp than the Roots when under load and at light throttle it will run a little hotter which is good because this will be better for fuel efficency. The only vice with the twin screw is the price.

When I said Roots, I should have specified, "positive displacement," because I was thinking Twin Scews as well.

As far as max effort peak numbers, the capabilities in this regard of a centrifugal blower may have some edge. However, what do they use in Top-Fuel and what do the Big Blocks prefer?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Did nobody look at the link?theyre making over 600rwhp with smaller cubes than what he's planning.And it is for a truck,so bang for the buck whipple or roots makes more sense,boost straight from idle is which helps get the truck moving,And youre still going to have belt issues with a P1/D1.Just seems to make more sense in my mind,maybe its just me.....oh well.good luck with whatever they choose.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Did nobody look at the link?theyre making over 600rwhp with smaller cubes than what he's planning.And it is for a truck,so bang for the buck whipple or roots makes more sense,boost straight from idle is which helps get the truck moving,And youre still going to have belt issues with a P1/D1.Just seems to make more sense in my mind,maybe its just me.....oh well.good luck with whatever they choose.

No belt issue for my P1SC.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Well, I suppose if peak numbers are all that matters...

However, it still escapes me that the roots market hasn't stepped up for LSX motors. I honestly forgot the low max effort of the Mag over the current D-1. When the hell are they going to step up?

I mean, ****, Mustangs have been enjoying some high hp numbers for some time with Twin-Screws... getting some low-end grunt and somehow they are seeing their way past any heat issues.
bboy, the factory Mustangs and Lightenings come with A2W IC's that have a supercooler for the water running off the AC. They can get away with a lot because of that. Believe me when I say that the rootes type blower is great (I've had them), but for the application that Billy is talking about, there might be a better way. FWIW. GL everyone.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You really have to drive a Truck that runs the blower's to see/feel the difference. The Mags. are nice but the heat soak is unreal and they drop alot of power when this happens.

When you go into pwer the truck is ussually in high rpm areas were boost level isn't a difference between the 2. The ATI setup also gives alot of midrange/part throttle grunt.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

True Don,got me there as i havent driven in both,but correct me if im wrong but wouldnt an A2W intercooler counteract the affects of the heatsoak?And how would an ATI have more low end grunt than a roots or whipple given the fact that ATI has to build boost whereas the other gets it off idle?Not arguing just wanting more info,Nick
Old 01-05-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

True Don,got me there as i havent driven in both,but correct me if im wrong but wouldnt an A2W intercooler counteract the affects of the heatsoak?And how would an ATI have more low end grunt than a roots or whipple given the fact that ATI has to build boost whereas the other gets it off idle?Not arguing just wanting more info,Nick
Heat soak will still occur (as it does with cobras and lightnings...its just a part of life). I dont think Don is arguing the ATI makes more low end grunt, rather that you shouldnt discount the fact that the ATI still makes good low and mid range grunt considering its a centrif. Of course the roota blower gives tremendous off idle tq, but those roots blowers (eaton and magnusson) are typically limited to 500-525rwhp from what i have been reading. There is a reason alot of Cobra guys are ditching the roots (most inefficient blower) to go to prochargers and Kennebells
Old 01-05-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Heat soak will still occur (as it does with cobras and lightnings...its just a part of life). I dont think Don is arguing the ATI makes more low end grunt, rather that you shouldnt discount the fact that the ATI still makes good low and mid range grunt considering its a centrif. Of course the roota blower gives tremendous off idle tq, but those roots blowers (eaton and magnusson) are typically limited to 500-525rwhp from what i have been reading. There is a reason alot of Cobra guys are ditching the roots (most inefficient blower) to go to prochargers and Kennebells
check out the link in post #2.....making over 600rwhp.I know the D1 could make quite a bit more power,i guess my train of thought was more focused on the low end and getting the huge truck up and moving and can still make 600rwhp.

edit....and that hp level was at 8-9 psi.

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck for S.C.