New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Comparo. Tough Choice. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Car Comparo. Tough Choice. Need Help.

Okay Guys. I was planning on buying an LT1 F-Body but now I have began to expand my research and I have come across many other cars That I Like very much. I am very much in love with the early ninteys japanese supercars. Okay this is where you guys come in. My car will be a manual and will be modified. It will be mostly a street performance car. I want it to be set up more for handleing since I will be doing some Auto-Xing but I want it to have power to so I can have fun on the street. Okay here is the list
-LT1 WS6 Trans Am
-LS1 GTO
-300ZX Twin Turbo
-3000GT VR-4
-RX-8
-Late Model Mustang Mach 1 (can't remeber the year but its the Shaker Hood 300HP version.)
-BMW M3 E36
-Honda S2000 (The Earlier model with the 1K Higher Redline)
-Porsche Boxster (Non S Version)
-Twin Turbo Supra (If I can Find a clean version that hasnt been riced out)
There is my list guys. I know I left the LS1 F-bodys off and I have my reason so please try to keep an open mind and not just say,"Oh get a LS1 WS6 or LS1 camaro." If I buy a late model F-Body, it will be a LT1. Some may notice I left the Twin Turbo RX-7 off, I did this because they just aren't that reliable. I also left of the 03-04 Cobra. It is in the top few for me but I am still trying to get my research done and see if it is feasible for me. So don't just say Get the Cobra either. Please tell me your thoughts on the topic and your personal choice. Thank you for all your help.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:42 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

I know I left the LS1 F-bodys off and I have my reason
Why not say what that reason is, as you did for the RX7 and Cobra?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really dont understand why you would not want an LS1 F body but would want an LT1 F body. Also your price range in cars is HUGE! You go from like 5K all the way up to 35K. You could go for an LS1 vette 98+, they are getting very cheap and handle very well being lighter then f bodies.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was in your position about 3 months ago and ended up with an ls1 trans am since it has great power and potential for the money. I am a former tt supra owner and loved it, but they go for way too much money now.

this is how I would cross a few off my own list

s2000---no torque and not alot of power potential compared to the others

tt supra - great all around platform, but overpriced and amazingly heavy

gto- great motors, but on a not so desirable platform also heavy

rx-8 not enough motor there to bother messing with (see s2000)

3000gt/stealth - known to break trannys, but otherwise not bad

boxster - alot of money without alot of power (see s2000 & rx8)

I'll stop there...there are goods and bads of ANY car

this is just my opinion so don't take any of this stuff too personally
Old 01-05-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

This thread is not going to go anywhere because you left sooo much information out it's next to impossible to help you out. What are you looking for? Looks, price, power, etc...You can't just say you want to autox and you want it to be fast and modded. I would also like to know why you would want an lt1 over an ls1? There are no benifits whatsoever, besides price (but then why do you have a tt supra on there?)
Old 01-05-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

yes id like to know also why a lt1 over ls1 especially if u have the ls1 gto on the list its obviously not the motor your avoiding so why only ls1 in the IMHO uguly gto. also to everyone IMHO i think the gto is a cool car but it doesnt deserve the name "GTO" it should of been something else or they shoulda went retro look for it or at least not made it look like an oversized cavaqueer no offense GTO owners just my opinion on them
Old 01-05-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

what a useless post, if you want help, dont list 20 cars from american muscle to an import, with a price range from 5k-25k, etc etc
Old 01-05-2006, 03:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ls1 ss or ws6.....skip the bs
Old 01-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Teching In

even though i hate imports i would go with the 300ZX but that would be if i had to choose for handling and pretty fast but i would go with an ls1.. they are fast and can be affordable but they are not to good in handling unless u modify something on it. u gave a lot of choices to choose from but if u want power and performance on the street and track go with ls1 something.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lt1 are slow unless modded!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by ninetres
lt1 are slow unless modded!

Very unintelligent post. Stock for stock there isn't a HUGE gap between the two. 285hp stock for the lt1, 305hp for the LS1, (could be optioned to like 345 in 02SSLE) And I think that 96 97 ss's packed about 305HP stock (320 on the LS1 SS???? )

IMHO the camaro got really ugly in 98, 97 being the best year for the camaro. Although the TA, IMHO got surprisingly better looking, as lt1 TA's don't always look GREAT, and have to be set off (don't talk about my stock ext, I'm working on mods first...)

IMHO, you should get a black 1997 Camaro SS M6
Old 01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go with the lt1 camaro or ls1 camaro for the whole thing skip everything else
Old 01-05-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Mach1's would be 2003-2004. If I had to choose that would be my first choice since my tied first choice would be the ls1 f body and you don't want that for whatever reason. I would have got a mach1 if I could have found one at a resonable price.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want an LT1 F-body over an LS1 F-body because everyone has a freakin LS1 F-body around here. There is nothing special about them. They've all been Head and Cammed and are making from 400-500whp. I just got extremely tired of them. Plus I think the LS1 camaro is ugly. (Just my opinion)And although I like the look the LS1 Ta and WS6 I think The LT1 WS6 is the far better looking car (I think it just looks more trim and sporty). I think having an LT1 would be more fun for me because I'm going to mod the hell out of whatever I get, so what could be more fun than whooping a few cocky LS1 owners who think they are the greatest drivers in the greatest cars on earth.
Okay my price range isnt from 5K-25K Is more like 12K-23K. I know my car prices and I know what I'm looking for in each car. And just because cars are different prices doesnt mean they shouldnt be considered competitors. When the new C6 and 911 came out thier comparison made the cover of almost every main stream car magazine. They performed very similiarly. But your saying just because the price gap there should be No comparison. And just because Im interested in a 23K car I shouldn't also be looking into a 12K car.
I left the Cobra off because it is at the top of my list and I know that car in, out and upside down, but if it turn out to not be viable I wanted some opinions on the other cars. I left the RX-7 off because of reliability issues.
And thank you V8hunter I really enjoyed the format in which you posted your response.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm baffled by the lack of intelligence in thise thread (not you TAEnvy) V8hunter hit it pretty well. You have to look at it this way. How much money are you going to spend. Mods are more money for the same thing on a different car. Like a cat-back on a 300zx is $1000, but on an lt1 it will be like <$500. So you need to tell us how much you are wanting to spend. You could mod the lt1 to be faster than the supra for the same money. So what do you want.

SGTSPUDS - Are you saying that the ls1 is on par with the mustang gt's? The lt1 f-body's and the 99-04gt's run about the same times, mid-low 14's. An ls1 runs mid-low 13's. That is a considerable difference if you ask me. Several cars. With all of the mods on your trans am I'd be willing to bet you are just as fast as a stock ls1.

The lt1 trans am is really the best all around deal. It can be modded to handle as good if not better than the others and will make more power once modded as well. The thing is it is probably the cheapest car on there so you will have plenty of modding money.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Default Process of elimination

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Okay Guys. I was planning on buying an LT1 F-Body but now I have began to expand my research and I have come across many other cars That I Like very much. I am very much in love with the early ninteys japanese supercars. Okay this is where you guys come in. My car will be a manual and will be modified. It will be mostly a street performance car. I want it to be set up more for handleing since I will be doing some Auto-Xing but I want it to have power to so I can have fun on the street. Okay here is the list
-LT1 WS6 Trans Am
-LS1 GTO
-300ZX Twin Turbo
-3000GT VR-4
-RX-8
-Late Model Mustang Mach 1 (can't remeber the year but its the Shaker Hood 300HP version.)
-BMW M3 E36
-Twin Turbo Supra (If I can Find a clean version that hasnt been riced out)
There is my list guys. I know I left the LS1 F-bodys off and I have my reason so please try to keep an open mind and not just say,"Oh get a LS1 WS6 or LS1 camaro." If I buy a late model F-Body, it will be a LT1. Some may notice I left the Twin Turbo RX-7 off, I did this because they just aren't that reliable. I also left of the 03-04 Cobra. It is in the top few for me but I am still trying to get my research done and see if it is feasible for me. So don't just say Get the Cobra either. Please tell me your thoughts on the topic and your personal choice. Thank you for all your help.
-Fbody's, Corvettes, and GTO are powerful and handle great, But are just too big for Auto-Xing (maybe the GTO not so much).
-Mustangs forget about them, they don't handle well and they are very awkward to drive.
-RX8 I'm not sure about, but then there's the ugliness factor. That is one Ugly car.
-3000GT seems to me doesn't have the right road stance for Auto-X.

That leaves the:
-300ZX Twin Turbo
-BMW M3 E36
-Twin Turbo Supra
-Audi TT

It seems to me that these are all in the range for the size and style car you would want for Auto-X. I know this doesn't completely answer you question but perhaps it helps you narrow it down some.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Well, I appreciate the props for the Audi TT, but I would steer more towards a 2.7 BiTurbo S4. A little pricey to mod, but do some searches, if done right, they are impressive. If you do want a TT, come to the shop, I"m looking at a Bright Orange S-Line TT with the 3.2 VR6 and the DSG tranny, pretty fun to drive.
The M3 is also an interesting option. One of our salesman has an older M3 set up for Autocross with some work done to it. I think he estimates 265hp to the wheels or so. I bet it's close, it's a quick car.
I've never driven a 300ZX TT, but I always lose to the same one at our local autocross. He's a great driver with a lot of suspension work and Proxe R1's, I"m on street tires, lol.
The Mach1 Mustangs are pretty nice though since they still have a decent straight axle on the back.
What about a First Gen DSM? They can be found pretty cheap and when modded are suprisingly fast.
I'll echo the stay away from the S2000, unless you want to Supercharge it, then it gets a little more interesting.
The Boxster, well, for some reason I just don't care for them, though they do handle well.
3000GT VR4, cool car, but Heavy and see tranny problems.
But all in all, screw you, you said my car was ugly!!!! Lol, jk, to each his own.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

From that list I would go with either the mach 1, gto, m3, or lt1 ws6, then maybe a 3000gt vr-4, the other cars arent bad but will either be really hard to find (in good condition) or dont have enough power. A twin turbo supra in good condition will run you more than 23K, or thats at least what ive seen them go for. The boxster is overpriced and underpowered and is pretty ugly, as is the rx-8 (which is also a dog acceleration wise). The s2000 is a quick little car and is a nice piece of machinery but has zero torque and you have to rev the **** out of it to get any power and I dont know enough about the 300zx TT to comment. Honestly id say if you raise your limit to maybe 25K you could get an EVO rs, which would be awesome for auto-xing with the awd, and youd have a fully forged engine set up for more mods in the future. Thats my opinion though, good luck with the search!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll second that the first gen turbo DSM (laser/talon) as being another one that is good bang for the buck when modded. They are cheap and mod well, but I've just seen to many of them all riced out to be appealing to me.

I do have a fond memory of taking a riced out turbo dsm with a big wing in my tt supra though...he caught me off guard and blew by me in traffic on the freeway. I then went out of my way to make sure that he knew I wouldn't allow him to think that his car was faster than mine. I followed him until I was next to him on a 4 lane road and proceeded to pull him very hard twice until he just gave up. Keep in mind that this was about 5 years ago and I'm slightly more responsible now. Having a fast car can cause many of us to do incredibly stupid things at times.

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
Well, I appreciate the props for the Audi TT, but I would steer more towards a 2.7 BiTurbo S4. A little pricey to mod, but do some searches, if done right, they are impressive. If you do want a TT, come to the shop, I"m looking at a Bright Orange S-Line TT with the 3.2 VR6 and the DSG tranny, pretty fun to drive.
The M3 is also an interesting option. One of our salesman has an older M3 set up for Autocross with some work done to it. I think he estimates 265hp to the wheels or so. I bet it's close, it's a quick car.
I've never driven a 300ZX TT, but I always lose to the same one at our local autocross. He's a great driver with a lot of suspension work and Proxe R1's, I"m on street tires, lol.
The Mach1 Mustangs are pretty nice though since they still have a decent straight axle on the back.
What about a First Gen DSM? They can be found pretty cheap and when modded are suprisingly fast.
I'll echo the stay away from the S2000, unless you want to Supercharge it, then it gets a little more interesting.
The Boxster, well, for some reason I just don't care for them, though they do handle well.
3000GT VR4, cool car, but Heavy and see tranny problems.
But all in all, screw you, you said my car was ugly!!!! Lol, jk, to each his own.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

I can see what having alot of cars in the area will do to your liking of them, the TT supra is a beautiful car and can be very easy to mod and become very quick w/ just a bpu. The downside of the supra is its very large size... You may consider an mr2 coilovers and springs in that thing will do miracels and the mid engine really helps out w/ the handling look into them they can be had for relatively cheap as in less than 8 grand while being modded suspension//power wise check them out You can also get them for around 6 grand its really easy. Although its not a six cylinder or 8, its still a turbocharged 4 cylinder and can be made decently quick, I don't know very much about them but you should consider researching more into them! I have a few friends w/ mr2's and I can tell you that it is a blast to drive them! Feels like your in a go-kart!!