Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cleaned maf = running rich??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cleaned maf = running rich??

I seem to have this weird problem now after cleaning the maf, the car runs fine under normal driving but when I go wot I'm seeing alot more fuel, I guess this could be a good thing but has anybody else had the same thing happen after cleaning the maf?, I took it apart very carefully and cleaned it gently w/alcohol and q-tips.....
Old 01-05-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Logically I can see two answers.

1. That the MAF is now giving a false reading, which means something isn't right with it after cleaning.

2. Or the MAF is now correct and was giving a false reading before hand. So if you tuned to the old reading thus making it actually run correctly it will of course now be out.

A tune is probably the best bet as this should highlight where the problem is.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

I suspect it was dirty prior to doing the tune(never cleaned since 99), wich would explain why I should have been running high 9's afr but I was running 11.0 and didnt care because at least the wideband wasnt lying, now it was soo rich it was pegged @ the 10.0 wich is as far as the gauge goes(dynojet/autometer), I played w/ the pe tables a bit and need to keep taking fuel out now to get me back to 11.0.......

does this sound right to everybody else too??
Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Sure cleaning the MAF may change things but at WOT you will most likely be out of range of the MAF if you are running more then 8psi or so. If thats the case and the car has gone real rich make sure the MAF is in the exact same position it was, turning it 90 degrees will make a big dfference depending where its located. If youre sure you dont have a boost leak or belt slip I guess it could be the cleaning but to be honest I have cleaned some pretty crusty MAF wires off and it really didnt make that huge a difference. Also make sure yout LTFTs didnt get screwed up after the cleaning either and its not +20% at WOT also..
Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The MAF was lean from dirty, the closed loop trimmed
fuel to make it even, you clean it and are left with the
enrichment from trimming until the car can learn it back
out.

Might want to reset the PCM along with the cleaning so
it starts with a "clean slate".
Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

inspect the wires in the MAF and make sure you didn't break one. You can break the connection on one and it will work at low flow, but go nuts as flow increases.

I had one randomly break on my truck, would idle fine but any load and it would lean way out.

It's safest to use a non contact method for cleaning.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by y2khawk
It's safest to use a non contact method for cleaning.
Any suggestions?

Andy
Old 01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake clean and air.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use electric motor cleaner, it will not leave any residue on the wires. you can get it at the parts store...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

I used electric motor cleaner that you spray but it still looked dirty (used the whole can), when I took it apart and cleaned it there was alot of residue that came off, now the wires look nice and new, none are broke, there is no problems w/ the way the car runs, just more fuel under wot, under crusing the ltft's are running rich in spots(-2 to -10) but the ltft's go to 0 under wot(havent reset them since yesterday, will do), there may or may not have been a very small boost leak behind the maf before, now everything seems fine though and there is no "problem",... just seeing if anybody else had something similar happen after a through cleaning of the maf...

my cleaning steps were very carefully taking apart the maf and dipping the q-tips in rubbing alcohol and w/no pressure at all gently rubbing the wires one by one on the front, back, and sides... like I said, there was a good amount of stuff coming off even after the electric cleaner... then very carefully reassemble just like it came apart (I think it only goes back together one way anyhow)

Quick Reply: cleaned maf = running rich??