Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kind of exhaust is on factory 02 ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of exhaust is on factory 02 ws6?

is the stock exhaust from a 02 ws6 better than the stock exhaust from a regular trans am/ camaro?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, the ws6 package comes with a "low restriction exhaust system" - what was said on the window sticker
Old 01-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Launching!

so about how many more hp over regular exhaust does the ws6 exhaust give you?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but didn't only some WS6's come with the better catbacks? Wasn't it an extra option?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not sure, . . .maybe 5-8 hp because the regular trans am is said to be 310 hp, the ws6 package is consisted of a ram air intake, with ram air hood, better handling, low restriction exhaust and 17 inch wheels, i think the ram air intake accounts for more of the 15 hp increase than the exhaust. . . so practically nothing . . . but of course this is manufacter's hp readings, . . of course to the ground both of them aren't putting down 310 or 325 on the ground
Old 01-05-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
im not sure, . . .maybe 5-8 hp because the regular trans am is said to be 310 hp, the ws6 package is consisted of a ram air intake, with ram air hood, better handling, low restriction exhaust and 17 inch wheels, i think the ram air intake accounts for more of the 15 hp increase than the exhaust. . . so practically nothing . . . but of course this is manufacter's hp readings, . . of course to the ground both of them aren't putting down 310 or 325 on the ground
Manufacturers rating's won't help here, because they are nowhere close to reality. After seeing what WS6's vs. trans am's dyno, I'd say the catback is only worth a couple hp. It's not near as good as a magnaflow, hooker, LM, etc.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,280 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
I could be wrong, but didn't only some WS6's come with the better catbacks? Wasn't it an extra option?
You might be thinking of the Firehawks coming with a SLP dual/dual system, but I don't think that was optional on the hawk....I think it was standard. For the SS, the SLP dual/dual was also avaliable but obviously not standard.

WS6s all came with the same factory WS6-specific exhaust....there was no optional system. Only difference would be the '98 cars that had the single outlet system, but that was also standard at the time of production and not optional....nor was it optional in any other year.

WS6 muffer is supposed to flow a little better. The system is just a tad louder from the factory than the base Z28/Formula/Trans Am system. I can't recall if the I-pipe is slightly larger or not, but if it is, I can't see it. I've got a stock '98 Z28 system and a stock '00 WS6 system in my basement and the I-pipes look to be the same size to me.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You might be thinking of the Firehawks coming with a SLP dual/dual system, but I don't think that was optional on the hawk....I think it was standard. For the SS, the SLP dual/dual was also avaliable but obviously not standard.

WS6s all came with the same factory WS6-specific exhaust....there was no optional system. Only difference would be the '98 cars that had the single outlet system, but that was also standard at the time of production and not optional....nor was it optional in any other year.

WS6 muffer is supposed to flow a little better. The system is just a tad louder from the factory than the base Z28/Formula/Trans Am system. I can't recall if the I-pipe is slightly larger or not, but if it is, I can't see it. I've got a stock '98 Z28 system and a stock '00 WS6 system in my basement and the I-pipes look to be the same size to me.
The WS6's have the same 2.75" I pipe as the T/A's. The firehawks got the 3" I pipes.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Teching In

The WS6 and Trans-am exhausts are actually listed in GM parts as the same part number, the only difference is that the formula lists a 3 chamber muffler whereas the Trans-am/WS6 lists a 2 chamber which actually increases power little if any, mostly just changes the note.
The following users liked this post:
purecompton (08-07-2024)
Old 01-05-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gubachoo
The WS6 and Trans-am exhausts are actually listed in GM parts as the same part number, the only difference is that the formula lists a 3 chamber muffler whereas the Trans-am/WS6 lists a 2 chamber which actually increases power little if any, mostly just changes the note.
Interesting news on the different chambers. I wonder why they'd put different mufflers on the T/A's vs. the formula's.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
i think the ram air intake accounts for more of the 15 hp increase than the exhaust. . . so practically nothing . . . but of course this is manufacter's hp readings, . . of course to the ground both of them aren't putting down 310 or 325 on the ground

that ramair intake may add that much at 200 MPH, not much of a way to get higher dyno numbers with a ramair system since the car isnt moving to ram any air.

i think most of the board would agree that any addition to HP caused by factory catbacks (not SLP options) or other factory performance parts wouldnt be more than the variation ins stock power seen from car to car. there is bound to be a formula or z28 that dynoes higher stock for stock than somebody's TA or WS6 or SS. i doubt any produce consistently higher numbers than the rest of the cars.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,280 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by spy2520

i think most of the board would agree that any addition to HP caused by factory catbacks (not SLP options) or other factory performance parts wouldnt be more than the variation ins stock power seen from car to car. there is bound to be a formula or z28 that dynoes higher stock for stock than somebody's TA or WS6 or SS. i doubt any produce consistently higher numbers than the rest of the cars.
Agreed 100%.

Quick Reply: what kind of exhaust is on factory 02 ws6?