Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gears installe(gear whine)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gears installe(gear whine)

well i got motive 3 73 gear w/ LSD,(i have a v6 bird) well i have gear whine on deceleration, i took it back and he told me when he installed it he was kinda worried about the deceleration side or something and he would have to adjust the pinion, and it shouldnt hurt nething right now b/c on decelartion i am putting no abuse on them, also the put valvoline limited slip fully synthetic synpower gear oil(expensive ****)! from what he told me do i have nething to worry about, i am taking it back in next monday!! that is a week and a few days, i have put 200 miles on the gears so far and after i break them in should i wait until this gets fixed or do i have to baby it until then?? thanks i hope yall can help me even though i am a v6 guy(ins. purposes)
Old 01-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Banned

I never recomend a synthetic oil for break in on anything!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

what do u mean by that!! i am babying it!!! i dont understand what u are saying
Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

?????
Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

I think he means that Syn lubes too well for break-in by preventing any wear on the parts. Parts need to wear some to break in, like seating piston rings.
On the other hand, you don't break-in rear ends when the car is new so why now?
Just get it adjusted and it should be great. You should get a 12K/12mo. warranty on any new parts from a reputable shop. See the back of the work order.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by warpwr
I think he means that Syn lubes too well for break-in by preventing any wear on the parts. Parts need to wear some to break in, like seating piston rings.
On the other hand, you don't break-in rear ends when the car is new so why now?
Just get it adjusted and it should be great. You should get a 12K/12mo. warranty on any new parts from a reputable shop. See the back of the work order.

You are right about synthetic oils and break in. The OEM's do not coat the gears as heavily with fosfate like the aftermarket maunfactures do.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

so another question, i am still babying it and will for a lil while no matter what BUT, as i have gear whine on decelration can i still run it(get on it) when i am done braking it in!! he told me with it being on the decelartion side it is ok for now but until i take it back in to get it fixed do i have to baby it or will i be ok gettin on it from time to time?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youre most likely fine. Unless its an angry growl, you shouldnt have any problems. A little gear whine is practically expected.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

eh it might be an angry growl it dont sound healthy!! as in it dont so bad but ehhh he is gonna fix it but i am at 300 miles!!! when i hit 500-600 i am lettin her loose