Sponsored by:

Stock block (Shortblock)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock block (Shortblock)

(Try saying that 10x fast....)

Anyways, Im pretty sure that this issue has been addressed hundreds of times before, but the search option doesn't seem to be working? Probably because Mozilla SUCKS ***.

Anyways, talking strictly about the shortblock, how much can the actual block take as far as HP goes? I am looking to pick up an LS1 with an STS turbo kit already installed, the rest of the engine is completely stock (or was there a new cam on it?). Anyways, I have some plans for the car and am looking to hit around the 650rwHP mark with the STS and obviously I would need to do some work on the bottom end. I was looking at possibly an SLP 402ci stroker kit, keeping the stock block intact. I have heard from previous posts (at least I THINK it was about the LS1's) that the blocks could handle 1000+HP without a problem....it's the rest of the components that will need replacing (valves, pushrods, rods, pistons, etc.)

Is this true or am I going senile? Also, is the SLP a good kit to go with for my goals? I have heard problems with the shortblock assembly, but nothing bad with just the stroker kits.

Thanks folks.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a LS1 block with upgraded internals can be good for 1000 rwhp, with the right rods, pistons, etc.... I wouldn't go with SLP for the assembly though. I'd use HPE, LMI, MTI, TSP, TR, FFHP, or pretty much anyone else. All the shops I mentioned have a good rep, just see who can give you the best deal for what you're trying to do.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Yes, a LS1 block with upgraded internals can be good for 1000 rwhp, with the right rods, pistons, etc.... I wouldn't go with SLP for the assembly though. I'd use HPE, LMI, MTI, TSP, TR, FFHP, or pretty much anyone else. All the shops I mentioned have a good rep, just see who can give you the best deal for what you're trying to do.
YOU MISSED a few ANTONYM's LPE W2W
SDPC
TYPE IT OUT for us mechanics
Old 01-08-2006, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blktie8
YOU MISSED a few ANTONYM's LPE W2W
SDPC
TYPE IT OUT for us mechanics
LoL.

Thanks folks.

Correct me if I'm wrong here....but wasn't HPE going thru some rough waters on this site about some unsatisfactory work? I'm guessing since they're still sponsors on this site that it was all worked out, but does anyone have more info on this?

Last edited by 9ball; 01-08-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The block itself can handle quite a bit of power, and i know of several stock bottom ended people who are pushing 600 rwhp with out problems, and the new zo6 also uses the same pistons the ls1 has so you shouldnt' have any problems until you hit upwards of 600rwhp, then forged pistons rods etc. and you'll be fine again, i wouldnt worry about hte block itself, i'd make sure you at least replace rod bolts etc. That is the budget way, to be safe, its best to go with a forged iron 408 for FI applications
Old 01-08-2006, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
The block itself can handle quite a bit of power, and i know of several stock bottom ended people who are pushing 600 rwhp with out problems, and the new zo6 also uses the same pistons the ls1 has so you shouldnt' have any problems until you hit upwards of 600rwhp, then forged pistons rods etc. and you'll be fine again, i wouldnt worry about hte block itself, i'd make sure you at least replace rod bolts etc. That is the budget way, to be safe, its best to go with a forged iron 408 for FI applications
I would think the best of both worlds would be to go with an entire forged and stroked rotating assembly. Get new rods, pistons and crankshaft along with other necessary parts. The iron block will add a substantial amount of weight to the front end. I'm not looking to make a complete beast out of this car, like I said, ~650 (700 tops) rwHP and I will call it a day. Project will take a lot of time and money, but I want to do it right. Then again, I don't want to spend money when I don't need to. Not gonna be racing this car regularly, just a few times at the track and maybe some fun on the street when traffic (or lack thereof) permits.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wouldnt trust SLP's shortblock as far as I could throw it.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9ball
LoL.

Thanks folks.

Correct me if I'm wrong here....but wasn't HPE going thru some rough waters on this site about some unsatisfactory work? I'm guessing since they're still sponsors on this site that it was all worked out, but does anyone have more info on this?
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of APE, and they are no longer on this sight, or doing bussiness at all anymore. I would not hesitate to use HPE.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of APE, and they are no longer on this sight, or doing bussiness at all anymore. I would not hesitate to use HPE.
Ahhhhhh....that's the ticket! Yea, sorry about that....knew it was something along those lines. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone including myself......