LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OK I found out whats wrong with my car but how to fix??? EGR

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK I found out whats wrong with my car but how to fix??? EGR

well I got a code 26 coming from my car, basically it says that my egr isnt functioning how its suposed to.... The code was I think a QDM error 1 #26 but anyways I also have read that when the egr isnt working properly the car will sputter and such and its doing just that.........so is it the solenoid that goes bad or what? also, has anyone found instruction to remove the EGR crap, Im sure I could figure it out but tips and tricks are always nice to know.........thanx - garth
Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

You will basically need to remove the EGR pipe on the exhaust manifold and runs back up to the back of the intake manifold (pass side). Then remove the valve on the driver side of the manifold. This will require some blocking plates. If I'm not mistaken, some of the sponsors have a kit with the plates in it, but I just made my own.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Launching!

so basically I mginth as well jsut take off all the emmissions crap like the EGA and AIR huh?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

If you don't need to pass emissions then I say go for it. However, not real sure if you will have drivability issues since you can't really turn them off in the PCM in your case. I have mine turned off via LT1 Edit in addition to physically removing the hardware.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Code 26 is the Quad Driver Module and that means the problem could be in several different areas. My old 93 Indy 500 Pace Car threw a code 26 one winter when it blew the AIR pump fuse. So I went to check the AIR pump and when I disconnected the hose, water came pouring out! The water would freeze solid overnight and then the AIR pump couldn't move and it would blow the fuse. It turned out that the AIR check valve coming from the passenger side(one on the back of the engine up under the cowl) was bad and it was letting hot exhaust back through the hose into the AIR pump which would build up condensation. So I would start with checking your fan fuse, the AIR fuse and then pull the hoses off the AIR system and check to see if air is flowing both ways through the check valves(it should only flow one way). It might not be an EGR problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

That's some interesting stuff. He mentioned removing EGR--that's what I knew how to do!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you remove the EGR you might want to go clear the Suplemental programing for it also Mainly timing tables
Old 01-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Launching!

anyone have advice o how to remove the EGR valve with the engine still in the car lol, thing looks sooo hard to get to?

Quick Reply: OK I found out whats wrong with my car but how to fix??? EGR