Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN Patman: Castrol Syntec 5w40

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATTN Patman: Castrol Syntec 5w40

Just went to the local Autozone and was looking for some Castrol Syntec 5w40 made in Belgium and noticed that the bottle has changed. Its 5w40 and on the back it says European Formula but its made in USA

Is this the good stuff or should I stay away from this? Any thoughts on this feel free to comment
Old 01-10-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard of a few other people spotting this version of 5w40 and I honestly don't know if there is any difference in the formula between the one from Belgium. I would say that if it still passes the same specs, it's probably the exact same oil or a very close copy.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

what exactly should i look (specs) for in the new american version of the GC 0w30?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:43 PM
8 Second Club

I've been running the Mobile 1 5w-40 (labeled for trucks/SUV's) with good results.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Hey i know what your talking about. Ive been out of the country for the past 14months but before i left i used that oil. I’ve seen both bottles at the same store. The stuff made in the U.S is not the same. The actual oil your talking about will be a dark green and smell different than normal oil.
hope i could help.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Question

I also have a somewhat unrelated question for Patman. Synthetic (Mobil 1) is the factory fill on new Corvettes (has been for many years) yet it's been widely suggested that we should not 'break in' new motors with synthetic oil (I waited until over 3k miles to put synthetic in my Z28). Are things different now or should I drain the oil soon (I was doing a first oil change early to get the assembly lubes and initial metal 'fines' out anyway if that means anything LOL) and replace it with dino oil until a few thousand miles later and go back to Mobil 1 or Amsoil then?

Old 01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

New motors will break in just fine with synthetic oil, however if someone is rebuilding an existing engine I wouldn't suggest putting in synthetic, simply because the rebuild process is going to be more "dirty" and you'll want to do a lot more frequent changes. With a factory fresh engine, the assembly process is cleaner, and less assembly lube is used, so therefore with your new engine which came with synthetic in it, you can safely leave it for 5k on that first fill. I've seen oil analysis results on the factory fill of many new engines and they don't have any serious amount of contaminents in there like a lot of people assume.

Congrats on the C6, that must be one sweet ride!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
I've been running the Mobile 1 5w-40 (labeled for trucks/SUV's) with good results.
same here. i run it in everything i own. car, truck, atv, you name it.
less noise with the mobil 5w40 than with the german castrol. motor was full of clatter with the 0w30.
not sure how they compare in rates with each other, butthe mobil 1 is a lil easier to find.
cheaper too. wally world has it in the big jugs.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Patman
With a factory fresh engine, the assembly process is cleaner, and less assembly lube is used, so therefore with your new engine which came with synthetic in it, you can safely leave it for 5k on that first fill. I've seen oil analysis results on the factory fill of many new engines and they don't have any serious amount of contaminents in there like a lot of people assume.
Excellent news, thank you Pat.

Thanks man, it really is and I love it. I was going to get a clean used C5 (I had an LT1 C4 a few years ago but skipped over the C5s somehow LOL) because I do still love them but the C6 just won me over.
How's yours running?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

Thanks man, it really is and I love it. I was going to get a clean used C5 (I had an LT1 C4 a few years ago but skipped over the C5s somehow LOL) because I do still love them but the C6 just won me over.
How's yours running?
It's running really strong now that I got a Vararam put on it! I can't wait until the tracks open in April, it should run 12.9s in the cool spring air.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

It's running really strong now that I got a Vararam put on it! I can't wait until the tracks open in April, it should run 12.9s in the cool spring air.
When is that thing gonna get a cam in it?

Jason
Old 01-16-2006, 05:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
When is that thing gonna get a cam in it?

Jason
Probably not for a while, especially since it's my daily driver.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, is there 2 different 5W40's just like there's an American and German version of the 0W30? Id like to know which i should get(obviously the Belgian not American) b/c i want to try it out. Any help would be appreciated! TIA
Old 01-29-2006, 09:33 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GreekGator
So, is there 2 different 5W40's just like there's an American and German version of the 0W30? Id like to know which i should get(obviously the Belgian not American) b/c i want to try it out. Any help would be appreciated! TIA
you are correct sir.
the belgium is the one to go with i believe. no tests on the american import stuff.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What will each bottle say to denote what is what?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:36 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GreekGator
What will each bottle say to denote what is what?
"made in belgium" right on the back.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

this is the first ive heard of the belgian stuff. how does it compare to the 0w30 german?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:40 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

New motors will break in just fine with synthetic oil, however if someone is rebuilding an existing engine I wouldn't suggest putting in synthetic, simply because the rebuild process is going to be more "dirty" and you'll want to do a lot more frequent changes. With a factory fresh engine, the assembly process is cleaner, and less assembly lube is used, so therefore with your new engine which came with synthetic in it, you can safely leave it for 5k on that first fill. I've seen oil analysis results on the factory fill of many new engines and they don't have any serious amount of contaminents in there like a lot of people assume.

Your the first person to say that. Everyone ALWAYS says to not use synthetic on break in?? Are you sure about that?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am sure. If engines did not break in properly on synthetic, you would see a lot of problems out there since there are a lot of high end cars which come with synthetic as their factory fill.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

I am sure. If engines did not break in properly on synthetic, you would see a lot of problems out there since there are a lot of high end cars which come with synthetic as their factory fill.
Strange, a friend of mine had his truck bought back by Dodge for that reason? LME also says not to do it, one of many others. I wonder what the difference is? I know the vettes at one time said to use mobil 1, but did they come from the factory with it in the engine? Makes you wonder.

Quick Reply: ATTN Patman: Castrol Syntec 5w40