Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutout before cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cutout before cats

Hi all, I am new to Ls1 world. Coming over from a Dodge truck. I've got a 2000 ss convertible now. Planning headers, etc. I'm going to do long tubes and cutout and retain the cats. I want a cutout somewhere before cats.

I wanted to do a single cutout after the y-pipe... but I see I've got 2 cats and they are way up before the y-pipe. I'd rather not do 2 cutouts... just because I don't want to constantly be replacing gaskets. Can I do a single cat after the y-pipe? Can I even move the cats without incurring the wrath of the emissions people? Do the cats work as well when you move them down the line?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off where do you live?

if you put cut outs before the cats where the are now you will get cold air in the o2 sensors and you will run rich.

i dont think you can put a cat that far down past the y-pipe, exhaust gas has to be hott for the cats to work, it wouldnt be efficicient enough and im pretty sure you wouldnt pass a test.

i think the best thing to do it put on high flow cats and put a cut out right after the y-pipe meets.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:58 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, under the passenger seat in the floorboard niche, in the I-pipe, before the axle. That's where many people place the cutout.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Teching In

That answers that. Thanks. I don't mind the hiflow cats, but it would sure would be cheaper to simply bypass the cats at the track.

I wonder why it didn't cause problems on my Dodge 5.9l engine to put the cutout before the cat? Maybe the difference between a speed density based Fuel Injection system and a Mass airflow based? Maybe the Dodge system didn't adjust fuel based on temp or O2 downstream from the cat?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigwillie
That answers that. Thanks. I don't mind the hiflow cats, but it would sure would be cheaper to simply bypass the cats at the track.

I wonder why it didn't cause problems on my Dodge 5.9l engine to put the cutout before the cat? Maybe the difference between a speed density based Fuel Injection system and a Mass airflow based? Maybe the Dodge system didn't adjust fuel based on temp or O2 downstream from the cat?
did you have a cut out before the cat?

yeah i guess the dodge's o2's sensors are further up.

but take my advice with a grain of salt. i still have stock exhaust, i just read a lot
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah, I live in Louisiana, if that matters.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Yeah, had a cutout before the cat on the Dodge. Folks said that the o2 sensor downstream didn't do anything as far as adjusting the fuel. Not sure why it was there. But I never had any problems with the cutout open. Of course, it was never open for longer than a day or so.

Also interesting that the Cat was farther downstream on the Dodge.... in fact, it was just after the ypipe. Is there any year LS1 where there is a single cat used?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

There was no Single Cat LS1 F Body. A single cutout in the intermediate pipe will do just fine.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was planning something along these lines for my '02 Z28. I was going to use QTP headers with their dual-cutout y-pipe and place a Random Tech 9000 series cat directly after the y-pipe. So this setup will not work well at all?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have mine right behind the cats, welded into my y-pipe
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

So Jack, your sig says you have the offroad ypipe, and it also says you have a cat. Do you have one cat or two? And where is it (or they) located?

Will

Quick Reply: cutout before cats