Sponsored by:

From Lurker to Newbie, looking for mod suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Lurker to Newbie (long)

Greetings folks,

I've been a lurker on and off and have decided to join.

My F-Body is a 02 Pewter WS6 M6 that is completely stock including Air Cleaner. It was my wife's daily driver for the first 2 1/2 - 3 years we have owned it which is from the dealer lot purchase of Oct '01. She had wanted one from the body and engine change of '98. The damn tv ad with the black Ws6 driving thru the exotic is what got her. Honestly, I couldn't stand the car and tried to talk her out of one. It has grown on me and the Ws6 body style, to me, is one of the best looking cars on the road. I love to watch others go by.

I used to be rather involved in the Turbo Buicks in the Atlanta area but have mostly lost interest. But I still have the cars and their pieces to deal with. At the time I didn't see a point in the F-body.

Well things have changed. NOW she drives our '93 S-10 315,000 mile beater (????) and I switch between the T.A. (as we call it around the house) and my newest purchase a '96 Impala SS with 16,000 miles.

So now I want to begin doing LIGHT mods to the car which will allow me to keep the stock driveability including FOR NOW the stock rearend and clutch... which is working perfectly fine.

I know after market filter and different lid appear to be popular. Already came close to buying subframe connectors as I like a solid frame but still looking.

Another mod I'd like to do is an adjustable clutch/cylinder. Blew me away the other day to see that it doesn't come that way. I want the clutch engagement to require more clutch throw than what it presently does.

I'm open to mod suggestions and have really appreciated this site.

Thanks,
Old 01-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Welcome to the site, pewter is a great looking color!!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks!

We did want something a little different than red or black...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Welcome to the site! Glad to have you aboard"
Old 01-14-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't start modding..... it will never stop.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Teching In

LOL. I know what you mean... I have bought too many cars to use as daily drivers and ended up with weekend only vehicles or just cars needing constant attention. That's how it went for me with the Turbo Buicks...but the bug, she is a strong!

So, I'm REALLY gonna try, this time, to stick to bolt ons.... the bug, she is a strong...
Old 01-18-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

For your first mod I say go with a Procharger..................J/K

You hit the nail on the head in your post, go lid and SFC first. Neither will affect driveability. Also look into a short stick if it's a M6, makes shifting a hell of alot easier.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:59 PM

Good luck dont get stuck in the bug, but its gonna be hard
Old 01-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Teching In

*Rubbing my chin* Procharger eh?? Nice, simple, replace all the parts it eventually overwhelms...perfect! Damn bug!

I did manage to pick up a short throw shifter from Kirban's but have not installed it. Same goes with a 160 thermostat from SLP. Don't know how much difference this would make without also changing the fan cycle and the puter program...

I can imagine the shifter feel would improve with the short throw.

Airlid and filter does seems like a fairly safe no brainer. Seem to recall a GM Hi-Tech Perf. mag article a while back on the different lids..... probably go diggin for it later.

Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome Shawn, Why did you lose interest in Turbo Buicks? Sounds like you have a nice T/A tho!
Old 01-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Ah good question 3.8SFIturbo,
Clearly you are a lover of the V6 boost God! Nothing quite like that turbo kicking in at 35 mph from a rolling start and absolutely frying any real steet tire available. People just are amazed at a power band that really only begins at 3000 and ends by 5000 or slightly higher if your lucky.

, , , ,

I don't know how many times I have found myself doing this over parts being correctly supplied by vendors, vendors going away, parts needing major attitude adjustments to fit, not working to spec, clear lack of GM/buick support, oem parts obsolete, present age of the cars, finding IN the SOUTH honest/reliable/knowledgeable mechanics (I don't like wrenching as much as I used to).....

Oh I could go on.... I know, I know everyone has different experiences. And don't get me wrong, I still love the cars....just not what it has cost me in time, money, labor and fights with the misses over the money pits...er GN's.

In fact, I presently have a work in progress which is taking well over a year, as my mechanic has decided cutting trees for FEMA is much more lucrative than finishing started turbo buick projects..Ok, that's probably enough and well off topic...but thanks for asking...I think LOL!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone lurks!