Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter/TSP X mixed thoughts + Flashing SES

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter/TSP X mixed thoughts + Flashing SES

Tried search but no luck...

I now have Pacesetter longtube headers with no emissions and the TSP Rumbler X system installed. It sounds really good minus a few problems.

1. A lot of popping, usually on decel but not always (normal driving, not just WOT). Very annoying. The battery was disconnected for a couple months though so I hope it just needs to go through some relearn cycles. I'll see if it diminishes over time. Ultimately the car will be tuned but not until the next round of mods. Possibly bad gas from sitting but not as likely.

2. Flashing SES - this worries me. New NGK plugs @ .050 and MSD wires went on to replace the stockers as well as the supplied O2 extensions from Pacesetter. Original O2 sensors were re-used. SES light is on all the time (expected) but what puzzles me is every 5-10 mins or so it will flash a dozen or so times then go back to just being lit.

3. When did TSP start welding the turndowns? We were unable to point them outward, so they are stuck facing straight down and i'm not sure I like the sound. Exhaust when it hits the ground makes a hissing/ticking like sound and its sort of unpleasant. Plus its much louder in the car than out - driving alongside my car its actually a lot quieter than I expected. But inside is another story.

Car doesn't run quite like it should and accel/driving isn't as "smooth" as before. I will have the codes pulled to see what shows up. I expect codes for AIR and the rear O2's, but there should be more. No mileage testing yet but i'm certain the A/F is way out of whack.

Anyway thanks for any input, I guess i'm sort of thinking out loud here
Old 01-13-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the flashing ses is a miss-fire. Try check the the wire boots and making sure they have contact. That would explain the running rough and popping.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply took the CATS off about a week ago. The SES light came on...I figured no problem...I need to plug up my rear O2's with the SIMS. So I did...the light went off. 25 minutes later, it came back on, the car started running like crap (idling hard, very pulsely at contant speeds, like the car loses and then gets power back). But, it only does it every so often. The car only started doing this when I took the cats off. Before, the car was running fine...no issues! On the way to work this morning, the car started jerking again really bad this time and the light started flashing at me. Then my laptop started flashing..."danger to manifold!!", So I slammed it down and said "SHUT UP!!", right as I hit the second stage of NOS. Then, the floor panel in my passenger side fell out and started shooting sparks at me!! It was a rough morning to say the least.

Seriously though, this freaking sucks and I wish I was dead...figuratively speaking. The codes you're probably going to throw are the front O2's...saying that they are switching to often from RICH to LEAN. I'm pretty sure the whole problem you're having as well as me has to do with the stupid front O2's. Either there is an exhaust leak somewhere, or, from removing the cats, you lost a lot of heat and the O2's aren't functioning properly. Good luck with that!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Tried search but no luck...

I now have Pacesetter longtube headers with no emissions and the TSP Rumbler X system installed. It sounds really good minus a few problems.

1. A lot of popping, usually on decel but not always (normal driving, not just WOT). Very annoying. The battery was disconnected for a couple months though so I hope it just needs to go through some relearn cycles. I'll see if it diminishes over time. Ultimately the car will be tuned but not until the next round of mods. Possibly bad gas from sitting but not as likely.

2. Flashing SES - this worries me. New NGK plugs @ .050 and MSD wires went on to replace the stockers as well as the supplied O2 extensions from Pacesetter. Original O2 sensors were re-used. SES light is on all the time (expected) but what puzzles me is every 5-10 mins or so it will flash a dozen or so times then go back to just being lit.

3. When did TSP start welding the turndowns? We were unable to point them outward, so they are stuck facing straight down and i'm not sure I like the sound. Exhaust when it hits the ground makes a hissing/ticking like sound and its sort of unpleasant. Plus its much louder in the car than out - driving alongside my car its actually a lot quieter than I expected. But inside is another story.

Car doesn't run quite like it should and accel/driving isn't as "smooth" as before. I will have the codes pulled to see what shows up. I expect codes for AIR and the rear O2's, but there should be more. No mileage testing yet but i'm certain the A/F is way out of whack.

Anyway thanks for any input, I guess i'm sort of thinking out loud here
It could be popping because of a not-so-free-flowing X junction? DId you look inside of it and see how it looked. The popping on decel is also a sign on an exhaust leak and could be a combination of both that ive mentioned....
Old 01-13-2006, 03:39 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flashing SES is a misfire. Like mentioned already, triple check all your plugs and wires and coil packs.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

I suspect the O2 sensors...will check all plugs/wires tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have popping on decel sometimes as well. I believe it is just inherent of having no cats with the setup I have. Besides that, car runs great with no other issues. I was told the popping has to do with compression ratio. I don't know about that kind of stuff, but I am still happy with my system.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Hm I was told they shouldn't pop and I thought it was probably because my A/F was out of whack now, and/or the misfire. I just went from completely stock exhaust to this so its a pretty drastic change for the engine.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

You guys are freakin me out...haha My tsp x with sweet thunders and qtp hvmc headers are in the mail right now. I hope I don't have any problems.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Cylinder 6 Misfire...wire is tight...i'll try to swap it with another and see if the misfire changes cylinders. These are brand new wires so they shouldn't be bad.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would defninately go back & check your plugs & wires. The flashing SES is a misfire code I bet & it doesn't have anything at all to do with Headers & X pipe install.

The turns at the end of the mufflers have been welded forever, try just twisting the entire muffler as a assembly & bolt it back into the body at a different position.

Get the misfires fixed & angle the tips where you want them & I bet you really like the sound of the car

Ignore V6 Bird, he has nothing better to do with his life than try to bash our product in a effort to sell a few systems he makes in his apartment. He's been banned before for this & I guess he wants to do it all over again...
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-15-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up Fixed

I fixed it earlier today.

Pulled plug #6 and...it was bent somehow. The prong was touching the diode - zero gap. Also it was black. No idea how this happened. Anyway I was able to straighten it back out to .050 and clean it up a bit and the car runs much better.

I will definetely see about getting the bullets turned. It sounds great just a little vibration in the car
Old 01-15-2006, 08:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, please ignore V6 Bird. He has already been banned once for making derrogatory comments about TSP, and trying to sell his own homemade X-pipes. If I see him post one more negative thing about TSP or any of their products, he will be banned permanently. We don't have the time for his childish bullshit here.