Generation III Internal Engine - Heads & valve cover mods required for T&D or Comp shaft rockers

vettenuts
01-15-2006, 06:53 AM
With the search function not working it is hard to find information. What kind of mods to the head and valve covers is required to run the T&D rockers or the Comp shaft rockers? I think the pushrod hole requires some work, but I don't know how big it has to be opened.

Also, are the Comp rockers better than when they were first introduced? There seems to been a lot of issues with them when they first came out and Comp changed the design and the supplier.

C_Williams
01-15-2006, 09:48 AM
With the search function not working it is hard to find information. What kind of mods to the head and valve covers is required to run the T&D rockers or the Comp shaft rockers? I think the pushrod hole requires some work, but I don't know how big it has to be opened.

Also, are the Comp rockers better than when they were first introduced? There seems to been a lot of issues with them when they first came out and Comp changed the design and the supplier.

The pushrod holes need to be elongated towards the rockers - approximately .125 deeper. Also, check the clearence between the rocker arm and the cylinder head (at the backside, near the valve cover rail)

vettenuts
01-15-2006, 01:21 PM
These are on Dart heads, not sure if the hole is already bigger than stock.

Anyone got the pushrod hole diameter on a stock head they can measure? :)

DAPSUPRSLO
01-15-2006, 01:28 PM
On 5.3 heads I had to enlarge the pushrod whole as the push rod will come close to the rocker pivot point and I also clearenced the rail as indicated previously. I ran a 1" space and had to knock out the baffling in my stock valve covers. Good luck!

P.S. This was for T&D 1.7 ratio.

vettenuts
01-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Are you going to install them on your Darts as well?

DAPSUPRSLO
01-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Are you going to install them on your Darts as well?

If this question was directed to me that's a no. I have a different setup now or will hopefully have soon once I these damn lifters arrive for my motor:(

vettenuts
01-15-2006, 03:50 PM
If this question was directed to me that's a no. I have a different setup now or will hopefully have soon once I these damn lifters arrive for my motor:(

It was, what are you going to run for rockers now? How come not the T&D's?

DAPSUPRSLO
01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
It was, what are you going to run for rockers now? How come not the T&D's?

Jesel Pro-Series for my c5-r heads. That's what came with the package I bought which originated from ESP. I personally thought the T&D's were pretty nice pieces, don't really have anything against them and would be using them still if I kept my standard ls1 15 degree type head.

I will say this though. When it comes to extreme solid roller situations it seems as though T&D is not as confident in the longevity of their aluminum rockers as Jesel is. But that is in situations where 300+ on the seat and 700+ open pressure is being used. T&D suggested their steal rockers for that purpose.

In a standard spring situation I wouldn't sweat that too much though. Good luck.

Viper
01-15-2006, 05:03 PM
vettenuts

I thought you were running the Crane Gold series? You and I exchanged a few emails over the fall about it; what happened?

vettenuts
01-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Getting ready to do heads, and examining my options. I really don't want to face that issue with the power dip at 6K RPM with the new setup. I am also looking into Crane 1.7's to see if that corrects it.

At this point, I am very suspicious that the dip is from the lifters and I will be installing Morel lifters with the new heads. :)

But while the heads are off the car, now is the time to investigate these other systems.