Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust pics

some of you had asked me to post up some pics when i got a chance. the setup is in my sig.

the ground clearance isnt nearly as bad as it looks in this picture

A friend owns his own shop and charged me 500 for the header install and bending all the pipes. Let me know if you think i got raped but compared to what he has charged me before i think i did alright.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Crappy friend. Sorry. At least you have duals. Do you like the sound?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Launching!

dude, yeah that seems kind of steep......not trying to be ugly/snobish here, just giving honest opinion......i think the tips stick out WAY too far from the bumper and i don't like the mufflers being that visible......ground clearance looks kind of iffy too, on the other hand i bet it flows pretty well, not really a lot of bends in those pipes......it's pretty much straight out the back.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

yikes... looks like poo
Old 01-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Launching!

damn dude!!!! i wouldn't have gone that route with the criticism......i guess it's more for function than aesthetics, but i kinda like to go with both.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

i wish i could have made the mufflers less visible but they are stuffed up in whatever cavity there is under there. because the pipe that runs under neath the axle is straight it was hard trying to hide the mufflers. i was kind of dissapointed they were so visible but it was either this or more crush bends, which i tried to avoid having too many.

the tips stick out a little far but thats my fault i havent really paid too much attention as to how far other peoples tips have stuck out so i kind of guessed at it. he lives right up the street so thats a quick fix.

the sound is amazing. it was alot mor ethan what i expected, thats why im not so sour about paying 500 bones. trust me i appreciate honesty whether its critical or not so thank you. but can someone just lie and post a thumbs up. thanks.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28convert
...but can someone just lie and post a thumbs up. thanks.
I love how far the tips stick out
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think 500 bones is that bad for the bends AND the header install. Now did he do the welding, buy the pipes?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28convert
i wish i could have made the mufflers less visible but they are stuffed up in whatever cavity there is under there. because the pipe that runs under neath the axle is straight it was hard trying to hide the mufflers. i was kind of dissapointed they were so visible but it was either this or more crush bends, which i tried to avoid having too many.

the tips stick out a little far but thats my fault i havent really paid too much attention as to how far other peoples tips have stuck out so i kind of guessed at it. he lives right up the street so thats a quick fix.

the sound is amazing. it was alot mor ethan what i expected, thats why im not so sour about paying 500 bones. trust me i appreciate honesty whether its critical or not so thank you. but can someone just lie and post a thumbs up. thanks.
Hey man like i said i was in no way trying to be ugly.....just giving you a no BS assessment.....if it were me i'd figure a way to tuck the tips up a lil bit and call it good.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:21 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch.....
Old 01-19-2006, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Hey man like i said i was in no way trying to be ugly.....just giving you a no BS assessment.....if it were me i'd figure a way to tuck the tips up a lil bit and call it good.
oh i can take criticism,no hard feelings i wasnt looking for sugar coated feedback. i want honesty.

I don't think 500 bones is that bad for the bends AND the header install. Now did he do the welding, buy the pipes?
yeah he had to weld and buy pipes. i had the jegs universal mandrel bent kit but couldnt use it because the th400 crossmember hangs to low and the xpipe landed right under it and i would have only had about 1-2 inches clearance with 0 weight. im 205lbs. and it would have been scraping everywhere, so he had to bend the whole system. ive read most shops charge about 200 for header install so 300 parts and labor for the exhaust doesnt seem TOTALLY ridiculous. a little but i can live with it. the tips will get fixed before i pay him.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Launching!

werd......
Old 01-19-2006, 07:05 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring the tips up some.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Launching!

this is how all exhaust shops treat F-bodys..

I refuse to go to a exhaust shop unless they specialize in doing F-body type cars
Old 01-19-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I honestly think you got raped a little bit there man. Without the vasoline. But I have ssen alot worse around here. Is the ground clearance as bad as it looks?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

I just don't get why people are willing to under the axle. In the last 10 times I've lifted the car up, about 8 times I've needed the rear axle to just hang. And with the exhaust right up under the axle how can it drop?

Things I needed the axle to drop for:

1. change rear fluid, just easier to have to diff down low to get to all the bolts.

2. Changed the axle bearings.

3. Sphoon Torque arm replacement

4. Installed Long tubes, needed to remove torque arm to get LT's in.

5. Lower control arms

6. Pan hard bar

7. Break pads and rotors

8. Springs and shocks.

9. Greasing the LCA's

So with all of this, the last thing I would want to deal with is the exhaust.
Sorry I just don't think anyone could convince me going under is ok.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 AM
12 Second Club

I refuse to go to a exhaust shop unless they specialize in doing F-body type cars
i dont really know of any shops around me that specialize in f-body anyting. Dez racing is about 1hr. + away and i usually dont have any time to go there.

Last night I went out to look at how far the tips do stick out because thw pic I posted makes it look worse because you can see the pipes and mufflers. They are a little far but they arent past the license plate but are about half way under the bumper. i figured they would need to be somewhat out so fumes didnt do any sort of damage to the paint of fiberglass bumper. no?

Is the ground clearance as bad as it looks?
No. I have about 3-4 inches at the lowest spot.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He should have bent the pipes up after the rear end, then made them run parallel to the ground before attatching the mufflers. This would make the mufflers run parallel to the ground, as would the tips.

Originally Posted by RoysTransAm
I just don't get why people are willing to under the axle. In the last 10 times I've lifted the car up, about 8 times I've needed the rear axle to just hang. And with the exhaust right up under the axle how can it drop?
Most people put some flanges right before the rear end so the section running under can be removed for access.

And what in the world did you have to remove the TQ arm for to put in LT's? Most of the things you mentioned are not everyday items. 90% of the time when i jack up the rear of my car i do it with the suspension LOADED, so t wouldnt be a problem anyway.

Search and check out the system DVST8R has on his car. I'm about to run my duals under the axle and out the back exactly like his. If you have an LS1tech calender, you can see his car in about may or so
Old 01-20-2006, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
And what in the world did you have to remove the TQ arm for to put in LT's?

The Sphoon TA has a cross member that goes under the Y pipe. And there is no way to feed the Y through the little bump on the crossmember. So I unbolted the TA from the Diff and slid it off to get the Y on.