Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gutted cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gutted cats

if you gut your cats and have them installed will a po po still give u a ticket for illegal emissions? Also since i cant drive the car to the muffler shop and have them do it cause of the rules of emissions.. can i have it towed up there and classify it as a drag race car only for them to legally do it ??? thats the easiest way to me.. any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't know of any cop writing a ticket for a knocked out cat. you would be better off just doing it your self with a broomhandle. if you havent deleted your rear cats from your pcm then you will set a ses light. just a thought.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically, a cop can write you a ticket for gutting or removing your cats. Usually though, cops wont bother wasting their time doing so, exspecially with gutted cats as it's harder for them to prove. Local police usually wont give you any trouble, state patrol are the ones that will sometimes get out the inspection mirror and take a look. Depending on the state you are in, some shops may still work your vehicle. Simply go around and ask them if they can do the work if you are willing to sign a waiver taking the responsibility. Not many will, but there are a few that will do the work after that.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

you don't want to gut your cats, trust me
just save up for LT's and a catted Y pipe
Old 01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How in the world is a cop going to know your cat is gutted if he cant see inside it??? Think about it buddy, lol. All he is going to see is a cat....whether or not its gutted or not is a mystery to him. I can tell you this....on an LS1 car it will sound like *** if you have gutted cats, especially with LT's and a good free flowing catback. Better off just getting a hi-flow cat.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I kinda like how mine sounds with gutted cats. You just gotta find the "right" muffler shop to do it. I had to go to 3 different places to find one that would do it. The first two had total idiots working there anyway, so I really didn't want them touching my car in the first place.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

How in the world is a cop going to know your cat is gutted if he cant see inside it??? Think about it buddy, lol. All he is going to see is a cat....whether or not its gutted or not is a mystery to him
i thought i read on this forum somewhere some cops had a laser that detected heat, so if they hit the cat and it didnt read out as being hotter than the piping that it proved the cats werent functional. has anyone else heard this.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I havent heard about any laser thing......least not in VA/DC area.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I guess they could. The laser thermometers are only like $100.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can smell the difference, that is if you know how it smells like before and after the guttin. and how come you dont just do it yourself, save a couple of coins, and i like how it sounds like, your able to hear more motor in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude...don't be a hick - don't it...

HP Gains are sad, and your car is gonna sound like terrible...

Just save some money for a nice header/ORY/muffler, or header/catted Y setup. You'll thank me later.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do not tell the exhaust shop that your car is a drag car and have it trailered. as you know, its illegal for a shop to cut the cats off, i know this bc my dad is in the business. if anyone ever brought a "drag car" in and he did them the favor of cutting the cats off, and then they get pulled over for it on the street, he could get a major fine. thats just wrong to use people like that and lie, after all they would be doing you too much of a favor just to have a big fine a month or so later. just my .02.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

That's why they don't give receipts when they do it. Just like when I got limo tint on my car..didn't get a receipt so there was no record of me being there.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

thats why they just dont do it, period.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...all depends on where you go and where you are from. Like I said earlier, in CO the courts see it as enough if the owner signed a document stating the tech tried to sell them a cat, but he/she refused and just wanted the work done. Then the fine is waived from the shop and put on the owner...
Old 01-26-2006, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Gutted stock cats don't sound bad at all, IMO. Better sounding than an ORY depending on the catback used. The very first aftermarket exhaust configuration I had on my WS6 back in '00 was a Flowmaster catback with (eventually) gutted stock cats. Manifolds & Y-pipe were still stock. It sounded fantastic! NO rasp (seriously, none at all), great tone & volume. I loved it. Then, under the assumption that gutted cats didn't flow as well as an aftermarket ORY, I went ahead and did the ORY (retaining the stock manifolds and the same Flowmaster catback). With the ORY, the rasp was HORRIBLE!!! It went from ZERO rasp at any rpm with gutted stock cats to 100% rasp in the 1800-2300rpm range with the ORY; and again, that was using the same catback and same manifolds.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
thats why they just dont do it, period.
Not true. There are plenty of shops that will do it. Basically any speed shop will put headers/ORY on your car (or just pull the cats if you desire) even if you drive it in and drive it out like a normal street car. They usually just put disclaimers on the paperwork about it being for "off-road use only".
Old 01-26-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not true. There are plenty of shops that will do it. Basically any speed shop will put headers/ORY on your car (or just pull the cats if you desire) even if you drive it in and drive it out like a normal street car. They usually just put disclaimers on the paperwork about it being for "off-road use only".
i was just referring to my dad's place, he simply doesnt wanna do it bc if cops found out, we'd lose ALOT of business....every county police car gets its oil changed there.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
How in the world is a cop going to know your cat is gutted if he cant see inside it??? Think about it buddy, lol. All he is going to see is a cat....whether or not its gutted or not is a mystery to him. I can tell you this....on an LS1 car it will sound like *** if you have gutted cats, especially with LT's and a good free flowing catback. Better off just getting a hi-flow cat.
Something smells like *** ,but it's not exhaust!