Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" with locker clunking like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moser 9" with locker clunking like crazy!

I just intstalled a moser 9" rear end in a guys car with a detroit locker. It's a 2001 z28. I also just rebuilt the tranny (M6) and installed a Mcleod bellhousing and installed a spec 3+ clutch. All of this was done at the same time, and now the car has a terrible clunking sound. It sounds as if their is a huge amount of backlash in the rearend or tranny. This is also causing the clutch to chatter very badly.

I have rebuilt several t-56's, and I don't think the problem is there because with the tranny in any gear, their is very little backlash inside the transmission. It also shifts smoothly to all the gears and seems to work perfect. This is my first experience with a Detroit locker, but I know that it is supposed to seem as if it has a lot of backlash in it. You can actually feel the backlash in the gear, which feels good, but the yoke will turn a good 30 degrees or over an inch before the tires start to turn.

Is this clunking problem a side effect of a locker? The clunking I'm reffering to is not the clicking that it makes when you turn a sharp corner. There seems to deffinately be something wrong. Any input from those who are running a locker would help greatly.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what spline locker is it?

CMC
Old 01-25-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

check your backlash(should be .008-.012). Pinion depth could be off, or the ringer gear adjusters could've moved,allowing the ring gear to move away from the pinion. Lockers will clunk aroundturns if the clutch engaged. it should ratchet in turns under power. I had a detroit in my jeep, and when i would make tighter turns, like parking with the clutch pushed in, it would buck a little and clunk, because the rear tires aren;t allowed to turn at different speeds. good Luck, hopefully nothing major

PS-forgot to mention you should verify preload on the pinion and carrier bearings.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hawkcmc
what spline locker is it?

CMC
I know the original poster well, and am keeping a close eye on this project.

This is a 35 spline setup.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Check all tolerances, the Locker should be fine, you probably won't make enough power to break one, considering rock crawlers use them wiith 44's,the axle always snaps, or ring/pinon goes before the Detroit. BUT with that Style of locker, everything in the rear is basically like a spool, nothing gives, so all slack is taken up in the baclash in the rearend, and the gears in the tranny. I have built a few Crawler Jeeps with Detroits and manual tranny's, u will hear some noise in the drivetrain.I have never seen one bad from the factory, but u never know
Old 01-26-2006, 10:04 AM
roy
TECH Resident

THat is normal practice in Tractech Detroit Locker Differential. You will have to get use to it or swap it out. This Differential was not made for driving styles of the meek, It is pure brute force. The owners manual that comes with every Detroit locker should explain well that this is normal operation.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roy
THat is normal practice in Tractech Detroit Locker Differential. You will have to get use to it or swap it out. This Differential was not made for driving styles of the meek, It is pure brute force. The owners manual that comes with every Detroit locker should explain well that this is normal operation.
You are correct, and the owners manual also states there is excessive backlash in the locker unit. What I don't understand is why anyone would run a detroit locker with all the clicking and clunking it makes. I run a spool in my 12 bolt for a while, and it didn't create half the drivability problems the locker seems to have. And I would say that a spool would be stronger than the locker. Its 35 spline axles, the backlash on the gear is good, but the locker will allow the yoke to turn about 30 degrees before the tires turn, making the rear seem to have a lot of backlash. If the car was an automatic, it wouldn't seem to be as bad a problem, but every gear shift now sounds like all the u-joints are bad. Its terrible, I would rather have a spool.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once you learn how to drive it youll never know its there
Old 01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

I was told don't be scard!! its going to sound and act like you are breaking ****. (i thought ok wel see ) drove car around the block OGM I was like there is no way this is rite. then after little driving you get used to it and then love it!!!!!!!!!!! going around slight corners and just tap the gas, it locks and chirps the tires. or the loud pop sometimes when taking off. love it now. been driving it for 50,000 +++ miles. and always fun in the rain

Quick Reply: Moser 9" with locker clunking like crazy!